How reliable have you found your ebike to be?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

How reliable have you found your ebike to be?

Post by em2nought »

If you're the owner of an ebike I was just curious how reliable you've found it to be so far? I've had some experience with a used Swagtron ebike, and I found it to be problematic with derailer and charging/battery issues without putting very many miles on the bike. There are so many brands available it seems it would be easy to accidentally buy something that was junk. I've seen reviews for the Lectric brand which seems to be well thought of.

I've also had some experience with a Phatmoto gas powered bike which actually worked for commuting for a couple months, but had issues with chain breakage, and disc brake pad wear. The Phatmoto looked cool though. :lol:

Has anyone put a good number of miles on their ebike?

Where do you store your ebike? I wouldn't think outside storage would be a very good idea? Ideal would be a detached garage or carport I'd think. If you commute do you cover your ebike against weather until your return trip?
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LordMortis

Re: How reliable have you found your ebike to be?

Post by LordMortis »

I'm curious, as I was have had an eBike purchase in the back of my head for a few years now. Lectric is the brand I kept seeing on the review sites. I've seen people practically giving them away used, which only tells me the ones they owned were a PITA. A few years ago I saw them more frequently than regularly bikes but it seems to have been a fad around here.

I'm also curious about how people park them. When I was growing up there were bike racks everywhere. I keep telling myself I'm going to look for them but I never do. I never notice them now but I haven't used a bicycle as a mode of transportation to get to/from a store in 30 some odds years.

We're at the tail end of cycling season so it's something that won't be in the back of my head again until March. If I get another bike then an eBike will definitely be the way I go and quality/maintenance concerns will go hand in hand with pricing consciousness.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I picked up a fat tire eBike earlier this year and have put about 300 miles on it so far. No issues with anything other than I did somehow manage to get a flat tire a few weeks ago and that was a bit of a pain to deal with. I'd recommend scoping out local businesses that can help you *before* you purchase the bike. Verify they work on them and/or they're willing to pick up your bike (if you can't get it in your car).
Where do you store your ebike?
I keep mine in my garage; it's also where I charge it - but only when I'm awake and can monitor everything; never overnight.
'm also curious about how people park them. When I was growing up there were bike racks everywhere. I keep telling myself I'm going to look for them but I never do. I never notice them now but I haven't used a bicycle as a mode of transportation to get to/from a store in 30 some odds years.
Yeah, definitely something to look into. I now carry a 4' steel cable lock, but that's mainly if I needed to stop and use a bathroom at the park - something I can just quickly secure the bike with for less than 10 minutes. If I was biking in a more public place and was using it for transport to work or to go to a store, I'd get one of those U-shaped locks with a key and secure it that way.

Make sure when you're looking to purchase a bike, you research the weight capacity. Yes, your height is also potentially going to be an issue, but for me I had to get a much larger bike than I was expecting simply because of my size. Most ebikes can hold up to ~250lbs, but that also includes the battery and bike weight as well.

This is my bike, for reference. Well, a review of my bike. They have the total weight wrong though; it's officially rated to carry a total of 400lbs; the bike itself is 75lbs, so 325lb for you and your gear. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:11 am Yeah, definitely something to look into. I now carry a 4' steel cable lock, but that's mainly if I needed to stop and use a bathroom at the park - something I can just quickly secure the bike with for less than 10 minutes. If I was biking in a more public place and was using it for transport to work or to go to a store, I'd get one of those U-shaped locks with a key and secure it that way.
FYI:

I recently had my bike (a nice street bike, but not an eBike) stolen in broad daylight despite the use of a strong U-lock. Professional thieves have the tools to snap *any* in seconds. My mistake was locking the bike to a rack without regular eyes on it.

EBikes are even more attractive to thieves, so I would say locking one outside should always be a last resort. If you're riding to work, try to bring the bike into the building or at least into a guarded garage. If you're going to the store and have no choice, at least park as close as possible to the front door or a similar high-traffic area.

Bikes are easier to steal than cars, and they're easier to fence once stolen.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I kinda figured eBikes were high-value targets. Short of also unlocking and carrying around a 10lb battery, I'm not sure of what else to do (other than what you suggested). That's unfortunate! I'm riding mine for exercise and scenery so leaving it somewhere isn't part of my plan, thankfully.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:01 am I would say locking one outside should always be a last resort. If you're riding to work, try to bring the bike into the building or at least into a guarded garage. If you're going to the store and have no choice, at least park as close as possible to the front door or a similar high-traffic area.

Bikes are easier to steal than cars, and they're easier to fence once stolen.
If I can't use one to go grocery shopping, then there's little point for me. :( And yeah, I'd want to park the bike within a nothing walk to a store entrance. To think when growing up, I had a cheap chain lock for my bike and only used it at larger stores, so I often left it unlocked in front places like the local dairy where we got ice cream. I do need to remember to check Kroger, Aldi, and Meijer for where their bike racks are it (it they are there at all)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I bought a Trek Dual Sport 2+ memorial Day weekend and have a little over 175 miles on it. It's essentially a gravel bike with pedal assist (Class 1 - no throttle, pedal assist up to 20mph or so). It doesn't have a huge battery - rated for about 26 miles, but I've done 25 mile rides on it and still had 25-30% battery remaining.

It has been everything I wanted - has me climbing the fireroads out here that I haven't ridden in almost 25 years. It looks like a regular bike and fits on the bike rack for the car. It's also (relatively) lightweight, coming in at less than 40 lbs - which was really important to me (I also found out that my (SUV tail hitch mounted) bike rack is only rated for about 80lbs, which I didn't remember from when I bought it, so I could get one for Mrs. Kub if she gets into riding again).

It has been **very** reliable, tho I did need a firmware update after the one time the motor was having issues going up a steep fire road/gravel trail, in part because it couldn't get traction on the dirt (I had to reboot the bike 2x to get it to stop freaking out. I think it was because, even tho it's marketed as a sport/gravel bike, it ships with the commuter tires and pedals its cousin the FX 2+ comes with (had to get some knobbies and swap out the pedals) and the wheels were spinning on some of the dirt/loose gravel on the steep trail.

I don't care too much for the app, tho I haven't tried using the app to tune the motor yet - my issues revolve around the app requiring an internet connection to make a bluetooth connection to the bike (WTH? Lazy coders!) and I don't have good internet in a lot of the areas I ride.

The battery is inside the frame, so it *will* require a Trek shop to replace when I get to that point (per below, I have confidence Trek will still be around if/when that happens), but they also have an external range extender battery hookup which will double the range - I've thought about getting one, but haven't yet.

One of the reasons I went with Trek was that the bike was very reasonably priced compared to some (~$2400), Trek is, to me, a reliable enough cycling brand that I have a LOT of confidence they will still be around and supporting their bikes for years and years.

Overall, it has been a great experience thus far, and one of my best purchases - due to my age and other factors, my heart rate had been redlining on my old mountain bike as I was riding more (when I did the 28 mile ALS ride last year in Napa, it was pegged to over 160 bpm for the last hour or so), and now I can do just about all the rides I used to do around Marin and kind of choose how strenuous I want the rides to be.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:01 am FYI:

I recently had my bike (a nice street bike, but not an eBike) stolen in broad daylight despite the use of a strong U-lock. Professional thieves have the tools to snap *any* in seconds.
You mean a hammer?

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Do eBikes have an ignition key or something similar?

Obviously, regular bikes can be lock-broken and then just ridden away. But if eBikes have a starter safety of some kind, they'll be harder to steal. I guess the thieves would need to break the lock and then load the bike into a van or a truck.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given how often they've taken a bike-sans-wheel when someone locked said wheel instead of the frame, I don't think it would phase them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:55 am Given how often they've taken a bike-sans-wheel when someone locked said wheel instead of the frame, I don't think it would phase them.
If they can quickly make a getaway by lugging a 75lb bike, then I probably don't want to confront them. :wink:

I should probably do some more research on securing the bike.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:52 am Do eBikes have an ignition key or something similar?

Obviously, regular bikes can be lock-broken and then just ridden away. But if eBikes have a starter safety of some kind, they'll be harder to steal. I guess the thieves would need to break the lock and then load the bike into a van or a truck.
Mine just has a push button to activate the battery/motor. It can also be ridden without being "on" - it just rides like a slightly heavier bike. Others may be different.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

here it's standard knowledge to just take the battery off the ebike and carry it with you. (no other option there, sorry.) then you lock the ebike itself with a _double locking_ u-lock through front wheel and frame, and maybe also a cable for rear wheel to frame... i also live in a city with high levels of bike theft.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

some states are offering eBike rebates starting next year, and WA will be one of them. i don't own a motor vehicle and i ride a commuter bike everywhere including to the office. i've avoided an eBike so far because... i won't get my exercise in with pedal assist... but i can see it being useful for, say, some of the huge hill climbs in Seattle (like that one in Magnolia, or the Queen Anne counterbalance). were i to get one, bike weight would be a primary factor - i don't want to lug a 40lb+ vehicle up three flights of stairs to my apartment. i would also want a torque sensor and not just a cadence sensor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:17 pm i won't get my exercise in with pedal assist...
I feel like I hear this a lot and I'm going to tell you...you're gonna get exercise. I have a 10 mile loop I've figured out and even though I'm on a mid-level pedal assist (3/5), it's absolutely still a workout. Clearly not as much as if I was doing all the work, but unless you just keep your thumb on the throttle, you're still getting exercise. I know this because my quads and calf muscles exist now. They hadn't before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I suppose it's only a matter of time until the bike locks actually get so strong that thieves just cut through the bike stand.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:11 am This is my bike, for reference. Well, a review of my bike. They have the total weight wrong though; it's officially rated to carry a total of 400lbs; the bike itself is 75lbs, so 325lb for you and your gear. :wink:
One of the guys I work with has the Aventon Adventure. It's a pretty nice e-bike. Looks well built. If I was to get an ebike it would very likely be this one or their cargo bike. If money were no option I"d get the Surly Big Easy.

There are lots of options with ebikes that vary from lighter ebikes like the babymaker 2 which weighs 35 pounds to long-tail bikes built for hauling that weigh 75+. Most shops can service the non-electric parts of the bike but not the battery and motors. Personally, I'd avoid some of the lesser known brands if you want something that will have parts available in 5 years. Parts are very non-standard right now with every battery being different. Specialized, Trek, and most other traditional bike manufacturers all have ebikes now and are a better bet than no-name cheap bikes. I do think companies like Aventon are a good bet though. They are on their third year of the adventure and it's pretty much the same bike that came out years ago. Rad Power is another company that's been around a while (for the ebike market).

Some e-bikes have a cafe-style lock that locks the rear wheel. It shouldnt' be the only protection but it would be added protection. I don't worry too much about my bikes but they are almost never left outside (pretty much just at bars, gas stations, etc) and I live in a town of 250,000 in the metro area. I bring my bike into work and it goes in a garage at night. If you want more information on locks and how to lock bikes I suggest watching the video by the Lockpicking Lawyer who use the Kryptonine Evolution Series Chain Lock. But essentially you can't rely on just one lock. Some bikes have GPS built in (or you can hide an apple tag) but almost everyone who posts about their bike being stolen and having location services says the police will almost never do anything to recover a bike.

I haven't found a need for an ebike yet but I live in a flat area and my kids can drive (or at least ride a bike). That said I am a sucker for reading about them and watching youtube videos on them.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:15 pm That said I am a sucker for reading about them and watching youtube videos on them.
I went with the Aventure because of the price and yeah, they've been around a few years. Not cheap, but also not a high-end bike by any means. Like golf clubs I didn't want to get an insanely high-priced bike and then discover I hated it. People are always stopping me or eyeballing me as I roll by on my giant bike - it definitely catches attention. I ride it on maintained trails - they're former railroad tracks that have been converted into multi-use paths.

I will say that being able to ride a bike as an older out-of-shape adult has really been transformative; wish I picked one up sooner.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This thread lacks in the links and pictures area.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:37 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:15 pm That said I am a sucker for reading about them and watching youtube videos on them.
I went with the Aventure because of the price and yeah, they've been around a few years. Not cheap, but also not a high-end bike by any means. Like golf clubs I didn't want to get an insanely high-priced bike and then discover I hated it. People are always stopping me or eyeballing me as I roll by on my giant bike - it definitely catches attention. I ride it on maintained trails - they're former railroad tracks that have been converted into multi-use paths.

I will say that being able to ride a bike as an older out-of-shape adult has really been transformative; wish I picked one up sooner.
The office mate who got one is fairly young (compared to us). He and his wife got them a few months ago as a form of some exercise. He's in decent shape but didn't ride a bike before. Now he bikes in pretty much every day instead of driving his giant F150. Some non-ebike bikers complain about ebikes but honestly if it gets people out biking I'm all for it as long as the people biking aren't being reckless and endangering others (which is quite rare from what I've seen).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote:This thread lacks in the links and pictures area.
My Trek Dual Sport 2+ (before I got the knobbies and updated pedals) Image

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Holman

Post by Holman »

A eBike would be perfect for me. My commute to work is about 7 miles, some of it on low-speed residential streets but most of it on a dedicated bike path.

The problem is that the return trip profile looks like this:

That last stretch, which is so easy in the morning, is a real pain when coming home. I typically bike to the foot of that hill and then stick my bike on the first bus that comes along.

With an eBike's assist, I assume I could climb that hill fairly painlessly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:48 pm With an eBike's assist, I assume I could climb that hill fairly painlessly.
Absolutely. If I could, I would commute on my eBike. A 7.5 mile ride? That's a dream.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ebikes can do hills. Just be sure to get a good rated motor. Id say minimum is 500w these days. Then 750w and 1000w. If you're insane and rich you can get 2500w ebikes...those are like a motorbike even foregoing pedals.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:11 pm Some non-ebike bikers complain about ebikes but honestly if it gets people out biking I'm all for it as long as the people biking aren't being reckless and endangering others (which is quite rare from what I've seen).
the heshers speeding their 60lb fat tire ebikes on dedicated bike trails - or worse, the sidewalks - are not uncommon here
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:19 pm
Daehawk wrote:This thread lacks in the links and pictures area.
My Trek Dual Sport 2+ (before I got the knobbies and updated pedals) Image

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Looks like that would be no problem to continue riding without the battery if needed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats an ebike?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:42 am

I recently had my bike (a nice street bike, but not an eBike) stolen in broad daylight despite the use of a strong U-lock. Professional thieves have the tools to snap *any* in seconds.
You mean a hammer?
You used to be able to open them with the cap of a Bic pen, too.

Locks are to prevent amateur thieves taking advantage of snatch-and-grab at opportunities.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:44 am

You mean a hammer?

Locks are to prevent amateur thieves taking advantage of snatch-and-grab at opportunities.
i also learned the hard way to never rely on a cable lock as the sole means of securing your bike.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 am Thats an ebike?
the technology has advanced rather quickly:

https://discerningcyclist.com/lightest-electric-bikes/

but for all the sub-30lb electric bikes, you'll pay _dearly_ for it. the five lightest bikes in that list are all over $5k, and one is $14k.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:44 am

You mean a hammer?

Absolutely. They're to create a speed bump, preventing the casual, "Ok, just grabbing my bike" type theft that is any thief's favorite opportunity - just like they'll walk a parking lot carefully trying door handles. If one opens, they casually get in and sit down like they belong there. As long as you don't look sneaky, people don't think you're up to anything, especially in public where the viewers change every few seconds.

They've never been intended to be an absolute show-stopper.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 am Thats an ebike?
Yup. Class 1, so you do have to pedal (and can get a decent workout if you like).

Trek also has a more commuter friendly version called the FX 2+ (doesn't have the carbon fiber fork, has a carrier rack on the back), but everything else is pretty similar, shimano shifters, etc.

Battery is inside the TREK-branded bottom bar. You can kind of see the charging port near the base near the front gears - you can mount the range-extender batter to the water bottle holders right there if you get one.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shimano is recalling a large number of stuff. Cant recall why though.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:11 pm
Absolutely. They're to create a speed bump, preventing the casual, "Ok, just grabbing my bike" type theft that is any thief's favorite opportunity - just like they'll walk a parking lot carefully trying door handles. If one opens, they casually get in and sit down like they belong there. As long as you don't look sneaky, people don't think you're up to anything, especially in public where the viewers change every few seconds.

They've never been intended to be an absolute show-stopper.
A few years ago, a professional bike thief-turned-consultant did a demonstration for one of the news programs. The toughest lock to crack took all of 7 seconds. So don't waste your money on an extravagant lock.

Some years ago, when I owned one of those U locks, I had rode my bike down to Lincoln Park for a 10K running race that day. When I got there, I realized I had the cable, but no lock. I removed the front tire, wrapped the cable around everything and made it look secure when it really wasn't. The bike was still there after the race.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Battery powered angle grinders have probably been a boon to thieves. I know they can cut through a cable in short order.

I don't think I could justify more than $1000 on an ebike. Moving into $2000 I'm sure I could find a used car that's going to be more reliable than an ebike. I'd thought of having a folding ebike to carry around in my used vehicle, but now I'm thinking of one when I retire if I go to someplace without much traffic. I just don't think they'll be reliable enough, it seems just like a money grab with most of the off brands. If I end up on an island somewhere I think it will be a gas scooter from Honda or a similar brand. Although I'm really thinking of being right along the train line on the outskirts of Bangkok and not even needing anything but a walking stick. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All this ebike talk and me planning to get one when I can and then a young lady on a bike gets killed in a hit and run just down the road from me.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:01 am All this ebike talk and me planning to get one when I can and then a young lady on a bike gets killed in a hit and run just down the road from me.
Could have been worse. They could have purposely run her down and laughed about it afterward stating they'll probably be out of jail within the week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0DJYPctWk
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

really cheap fat tire (no-name) ebike at $275 (until supplies last) - hope the battery doesn't explode on ya, lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDPX8TBT/