Tokaido, adaptation of tourism board game [Steam/mobile/BGA]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Tokaido, adaptation of tourism board game [Steam/mobile/BGA]

Post by Hipolito »

I've been getting into digital versions of board games. Tokaido is a "race' between tourists walking along a famous road in Japan. They aren't racing to see who reaches the end first, but who has the best time along the way. You earn points for activities like eating a variety of foods, buying souvenirs, donating to temples, painting panoramas, and bathing at hot springs. Each tourist has a unique look and perk; for example one tourist pays less for souvenirs, and another get extra points when they donate at temples.

It's fun to reach a particular place that completes your goal, while blocking other players from doing the same thing. The presentation is really nice, with pretty graphics, lively animation, and traditional Japanese music. I like how the geisha bows deeply whenever she completes her move.

I had trouble beating the AI opponents at first. I kept ending up last or near last. Then I started using one particular character ...
Spoiler:
Chuubei, who gets a free visit from a helpful stranger at each intermediate inn. He starts with little money but the strangers' visits give him a lot of free, effortless progress.
This character's perk helped me prioritize my moves and maximize my points. I can win reliably with this character.

There's not much to this game. I've played it about five times, and that's probably enough. The physical version of the game game has expansions that add variety and strategy, but the digital version does not. I only paid $1.99 on the Apple Store to play it on iPad, and feel good about the purchase. It's a simple, short, cute game that celebrates Japanese culture and has a peaceful theme.
LordMortis

Re: Tokaido, adaptation of tourism board game [Steam/mobile/BGA]

Post by LordMortis »

I've played a bit on BGA a couple of years ago. I was never very good but I enjoyed it. I got progressively worse as the expansions were added. It really needs to be 4 player to play right and get the right level of competition and decision making. I'd play again but would have to relearn it.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Oh, that's good the BGA version has the expansions. I wish the other digital versions did, too.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hipolito wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:42 pm I've been getting into digital versions of board games.
If you've not tried it yet (good chance you have) - I highly recommend the digital version of Small World
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Unagi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:27 pm
Hipolito wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:42 pm I've been getting into digital versions of board games.
If you've not tried it yet (good chance you have) - I highly recommend the digital version of Small World
Thanks! Small World has been on my Steam wish list for a long time, but I might like it more on iPad.

I've also been trying Spirit Island on iPad. Very impressive game, but quite complex for me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hipolito wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:20 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:27 pm
Thanks! Small World has been on my Steam wish list for a long time, but I might like it more on iPad.

I've also been trying Spirit Island on iPad. Very impressive game, but quite complex for me.
Yeah, sorry - I am actually speaking about the iPad version of Small World. Total gem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For those interested in BGA you can only join games someone else set up unless you are "premium". You can search open games or use the matchmaker feature. If you are premium, you can create the game, invite players, and/or open the game to people you didn't invite.

If you set up the game you can set it up with the following options:

Game mode (ranking vs non ranking in the BGA world)
Game speed (self explanatory)
Initiation (Not sure what this is, a variant I'd guess)
Return trip (variant)
Gastronomy (variant)
Preparations (variant)
The New Encounters (expansion)
Crossroads (expansion)