Talking about getting a replacement minivan

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Talking about getting a replacement minivan

Post by jztemple2 »

So, I've been having fun with the wife tonight... no, not that :roll:. Our two Dodge Grand Caravans (2013, 2016) are getting old in the tooth but for months my wife has been vehement about not wanting to get a newer minivan that has a touchscreen on the dash :grund:. So tonight I did some research and pointed out to her that the last model year that the Grand Caravans didn't have touch screens was the 2016 model year. I did some searching in Autotrader.com and found in our area that there were indeed some 2016 Grand Caravans, but only one had less that 50,000 mile (it has 45,000) and it is still seven years old.

And then, the saints be praised, she asked about the Chrysler Pacifica, which has been my go-to replacement van suggestion since any new minivan we get needs to have Stow 'n Go seating. I think she is finally losing her resolve about not having a touchscreen. So a quick few minutes on Autotrader and voilà, we can get a two year old used one with a reasonable amount of miles for a cost in the mid-twenties.

And then I had an inspiration and checked for new 2023 model year Pacificas and actually found several in our area, nicely equipped at right around forty grand. Turns out that minivans are getting less and less popular and the prices are actually dropping in the area; everyone wants pickup trucks apparently.

It is quite likely that this will be our last car minivan we get, since by the time the next ten years roll around my wife doesn't expect to be here and if she's not here I'm damn well buying that Corvette I've been lusting for :dance:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Re: Talking about getting a replacement minivan

Post by Rumpy »

We got a rental last month which was a Chrysler Voyager, which I believe is one model down from the Pacifica. It has everything you need, does have a touchscreen, and it was quite a comfortable vehicle. I'm not sure of the differences between the two, but this one had cloth seats while the Pacifica has leather, I believe. The only complaint my Dad found was that the driver's seat was a little low and couldn't find a way to raise it up, only tilt it and slide it forward.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

As I understand, the Voyager is as you say one step down from the Pacifica. Crucially the middle row of seats don't fold down in the floor as they do on the Pacifica which is a problem for us.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, really? Maybe that's the crucial difference then? Either way, now that you mention it, I hadn't noticed if they could fully stow away or not.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wait, the middle-row seats disappear into the floor?

Our (wonderful) Honda Odyssey had the back row that can vanish into the floor, but the middle row - that's madness.

Apparently:
Chrysler Pacifica is the only minivan in its class to offer the available Stow 'n Go® Seating and Storage System 2, allowing you to make space for cargo by simply folding your seats into the floor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Our 2008 Town and Country did the second row into the floor as well. Quite handy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My next large vehicle (van or SUV) will definitely have the captain’s chairs option.

I’ve always needed that full middle row in our fam haulers with a family of five, but our empty nesting phase has begun, and with 2 kids driving, and one in college, captain’s chairs are finally a viable option.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, both our Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country had stowable middle seats. I think there was also the ability to remove them completely.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:44 pm Yeah, both our Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country had stowable middle seats. I think there was also the ability to remove them completely.
I considered trying to talk my wife into removing those middle seats so we could use the stowage space below the floor, but she was against it "just in case" we needed to carry someone there. Apparently my suggestion of letting them sit on the floor wasn't funny :roll:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We lost our 2011 T&C last year in an accident, and when we went looking the minivans were all either not in stock or cost way too much. We ended up getting a Telluride, and I SO miss the storage that we had in the T&C. But it's a pretty nice ride otherwise.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:06 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:44 pm Yeah, both our Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country had stowable middle seats. I think there was also the ability to remove them completely.
I considered trying to talk my wife into removing those middle seats so we could use the stowage space below the floor, but she was against it "just in case" we needed to carry someone there. Apparently my suggestion of letting them sit on the floor wasn't funny :roll:
Heh, would probably have been alright in the 70's :D

Speaking of the Voyager, that thing moved! I dunno if it's the result of being lighter or having a bigger engine, but compared to our 2016 Town & Country, that thing was quick!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I bought a 2008 Sienna that the rear seat stows on, and then just chucked out the rest of the seats. My rear seat hasn't been out of its stow position since. :lol: I've had four Chrysler based vans before this Toyota. This Toyota is nice. I bought the Toyota to have something dependable because I plan to use it as a "live in" pilot car. I'm putting four small job boxes in to serve as secure storage and also as a platform to place a mattress on.

The stow and go concept is great though, I had looked at used Chrysler minivans on marketplace for a long time at one point. It's too bad the Durango couldn't have somehow had stow and go, because I loved my 1998 Durango with the 318. Loved it more than my 4runner which had really uncomfortable seats for a wide guy.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO