Balders Gate 3 and Star Wars Jedi Survivor
23%
Star Wars Jedi Survivor & Phantom Liberty
5%

Total votes: 22

naednek

$80 to spend

Post by naednek »

Gaming budget is next to nothing this year. Probably be the only games to get until birthday in June (we did xmas today and got some cash)

Been eying the following...

Balders Gate 3
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
CyberPunk Phantom Liberty

I'm a little weary on BG3 mainly because the Divinity games I lost interest. I'd imagine this would be similar. But I'm open to try....

Jedi... well, it's star wars

Cyberpunk phantom liberty it's on sale for $25.

Mind you I still have Starfield and Alan Wake 2 to finish. If I had another $15 (which I may tomorrow) I could get all 3 and this poll would be pointless :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Re: $80 to spend

Post by msteelers »

I don't know much about Phantom Liberty. BG3 feels like it should have the most bang for your buck, though if you didn't like their other games that would definitely give me some pause.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BG3 for sure. It lives up to all the hype, and then some. I also burned out on the Divinity games, but BG3 kept me engaged for over 100 hours. That’s something no non-MMO game has ever done.

I thought Jedi Survivor was meh at best, and I quite liked the first game. Most of Jedi Survivor is just Jedi parkour with the dullest main character imaginable. YMMV

Phantom Liberty is on my “someday” list. I didn’t like the original much, but that’s mostly because there was simply way too much going on for me to keep up with. I’ve heard PL is much more focused, which would certainly help.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote: I thought Jedi Survivor was meh at best, and I quite liked the first game. Most of Jedi Survivor is just Jedi parkour with the dullest main character imaginable. YMMV
Bummer. I really liked the original and was looking forward to this one
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

msteelers wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:36 am
Skinypupy wrote: I thought Jedi Survivor was meh at best, and I quite liked the first game. Most of Jedi Survivor is just Jedi parkour with the dullest main character imaginable. YMMV
I really liked Jedi Survivor and completely disagree on the main character. It's better than the first game for sure.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 am
msteelers wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:36 am
I really liked Jedi Survivor and completely disagree on the main character. It's better than the first game for sure.
Yeah, I do seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

In full transparency, I thought Cal was an incredibly dull character in the first game as well. I think the novelty of that one carried me through, while Survivor just felt like MOTS with an even greater emphasis on Jedi parkour.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Phantom Liberty is a welcome addition to the world of Night City. And it’s not as sprawling so if you wanted a more directed experience get Phantom Liberty and take a trip to Dogtown!

As for BG3, there’s a reason why it’s considered the “Game of the Year” by so many review sites and loved by many on the forum. I think it did its job a little too well because I find it hard to come up with a new character to replay the game after my first run through as a Drow Bard. The only thing that beat the enjoyable combat was finding ways to get around the combat with my power of persuasion. The storytelling, relationships, conversation options make BG3 my Game of the Year for sure.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

$80 wouldn't even cover one game in Canada with the recent price hikes. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To be fair, it's USD $80, so roughly CAD $106.

Currently with BG3 at CAD $71.99 and Phantom Liberty at CAD $33.99, it is clear what the winning combination happens to be on that budget. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I recently bought the PS5 version of Baldur's Gate 3, and it was $84.93 CAD, and that was on sale. Without the sale it would have been $93 CAD. It gave me pause because I had forgotten that prices had gone up in general and I was remembering the old price.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

I ended up picking up BG3. Love the atmosphere, thought the character creation process was interesting and different but man the combat is hard.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

naednek wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:08 pm I ended up picking up BG3. Love the atmosphere, thought the character creation process was interesting and different but man the combat is hard.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Just what I wanted to hear. Probably going to pick up BG3 very soon. I was held back by my "meh" attitude towards Divinity Original Sin, but as an old AD&D Dungeon master, I think BG3 might be a game I actually finish! :o
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:50 pm I think it did its job a little too well because I find it hard to come up with a new character to replay the game after my first run through as a Drow Bard.
Play a dark urge. It's so good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apollo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:44 pm but as an old AD&D Dungeon master, I think BG3 might be a game I actually finish! :o
And that's when you realize how much D&D has changed since they dropped the 'A!'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

naednek wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:33 pm
I'm a little weary on BG3 mainly because the Divinity games I lost interest. I'd imagine this would be similar. But I'm open to try....
For what is is worth, I was the same way on the Divinity games, but absolutely loved BG3.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:50 pm I think it did its job a little too well because I find it hard to come up with a new character to replay the game after my first run through as a Drow Bard.
Whats a dark urge?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Daehawk wrote:
gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm
Whats a dark urge?
It’s one of the origin characters with a unique storyline.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually finished the game with a Dark Urge. Of course I resisted all the dark urges.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

One note on BG3:

If you never played them, read the plot summaries of BG1 and BG2 on Wikipedia. Even though those games are a quarter-century old, BG3 takes place in the same world, and there are traces of their story in the new game.

These summaries aren't spoilers but background.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.