Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kelric

Re: Oxygen Not Included!

Post by Kelric »

Guys.....vent it into space.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kelric wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 am Guys.....vent it into space.
? Explain please.

I haven’t reached the surface if that’s what you mean? Maybe that’s my problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I always just assumed everything in the game is commodity and that I'd want the resource later. Also, the surface game was one I never mastered before quitting. It was actually a point of frustration for me when I set the game down. I need Lorini to tell me how work on the surface. :(
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I really like the concept of this game, but I'm just terrible at it. There are so many different things to manage that I just lose track of it, and before I know it, people are eating rocks, peeing on the floor and dying of heat stroke / oxygen deprivation / toxic gas poisoning.

And let's not forget that one time that some jackass peed on the floor and then the urine went down into the colony's drinking water. Good job, numbnuts.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:30 pm I really like the concept of this game, but I'm just terrible at it. There are so many different things to manage that I just lose track of it, and before I know it, people are eating rocks, peeing on the floor and dying of heat stroke / oxygen deprivation / toxic gas poisoning.
That's the problem I've always had with the game. There are just too many plates spinning and I prefer to focus on one crisis at a time. I really like the concept as well, but I wish there was some AI assistance I could enable.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:38 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:30 pm I really like the concept of this game, but I'm just terrible at it. There are so many different things to manage that I just lose track of it, and before I know it, people are eating rocks, peeing on the floor and dying of heat stroke / oxygen deprivation / toxic gas poisoning.
That's the problem I've always had with the game. There are just too many plates spinning and I prefer to focus on one crisis at a time. I really like the concept as well, but I wish there was some AI assistance I could enable.
I don't mind the micro-management as much as I do the fact that so many of the solutions to problems are just...well they remind me of solutions to adventure games from the early 90's. :D They may be based in science, but there were a few situations I found myself in that I had to look things up online, and when I saw what the (insanely complicated) solution was, I was like WTF?!? Then I was like WUT????? How could I possibly have known that without looking it up?!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

With the Spaced Out DLC! there are no more meteors falling from the sky on your home asteroid so that makes space a bit easier. Also, if while I don't actually do this myself, you can vent all of your carbon dioxide and chlorine and anything else in space with pipes and vents where it just disappears.

I learned the basics to the game by watching Francis John on YT and took those ideas to my bases. I play VERY slowly (so if he gets, say, steel by cycle 100, I'm probably there by 300) but the basic idea is the same.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:14 pm With the Spaced Out DLC! there are no more meteors falling from the sky on your home asteroid so that makes space a bit easier.
Really? That might pull me back. I never started playing "end game" because the surface was just too hard. I couldn't surmount all of the surface issues and just gave up.

What made them get rid of meteors?

I may need to check in on what I've missed and watch for sales.

Edit: Apparently I already wishlisted this but never paid attention, as I was just so unenthused about my inability to deal with the surface.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:46 am
Kelric wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:14 pm With the Spaced Out DLC! there are no more meteors falling from the sky on your home asteroid so that makes space a bit easier.
Really? That might pull me back. I never started playing "end game" because the surface was just too hard. I couldn't surmount all of the surface issues and just gave up.

What made them get rid of meteors?

I may need to check in on what I've missed and watch for sales.

Edit: Apparently I already wishlisted this but never paid attention, as I was just so unenthused about my inability to deal with the surface.
Inspired by the recent posts, I went to Steam to wishlist the DLC, and lo, found so many reviews like this, it scared me off:
"The base game ONI is a masterpiece in colony management. I really gave Spaced Out a decent crack and tried everything I could to figure out how it wanted me to play (over 200 hours), but at every turn I felt like I was being punished by the new game mechanics and in the end, it defeated me and my poor colonies (while thriving) just were no longer fun to play any more.
"

And for a different perspective, but even more alarming (to me, based on my biggest gripe about the game - I have a love/hate relationship with it):
"I absolutely love the new content, and after having spent 170 hours in the game I feel like I've finally gotten a good grip on most of it. This is one of those games that gets better the more you play. However, Klei completely fails at making this content accessible for players. There are no tutorials explaining any of the DLC game mechanics, and the in game guide falls well short of explaining what the various buildings do. Klei seems to be relying on the community to create guides and tutorial videos, but unfortunately unlike the base game there just aren't many good tutorials out there on the DLC. ONI is pretty hardcore as it is, but given how poorly the game mechanics are explained you'll need to have a lot of patience and determination, not to mention dozens of hours to experiment."
Yes, Gods, yes! I find even the base game infuriating (but amazing) for the exact reason above...the solutions and even basics in some cases, are so esoteric, that you are forced to go online, and HOPE that someone has a good write up or video about how to solve X.

The fact that I didn't drop the game immediately on realizing that, is a testament to how amazing it is in SPITE of that huge (IMO) flaw.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I've been perfectly happy watching YouTube folks (Francis John, Echo Ridge Gaming, others) to get the late game info, but I absolutely see what that would be unappealing. I couldn't get into the game at all until I learned from them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's been a while, any more options on the Spaced Out DLC?

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold