2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by jztemple2 »

I really hate Steam early access :roll:. I have 203 games on my Steam wishlist, but if I exclude pre-release (not a lot of those) and early access, I have exactly twelve :(. I'm really trying to avoid buying games that aren't in full release because I tend to burn out on them in EA and then not bothering with them when they hit full release.

Is there a way to find out how many Steam games I own that are in early access? I'm afraid it is going to be a significant number.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot never come out of Early Access. Which can be fine, as some of them are fantastic in that state already. I've just learned that unless I'm absolutely certain that it will hit 1.0 (like from an established studio), I only pick up EA games if I'm interested in playing them as they are.

For those that I know will hit full release, I have a similar approach to what you do - I don't want to ruin a game by repeatedly playing a half-finished version. I made that mistake once, so games like Slime Rancher 2, despite being a sequel to a personal favorite, will remain as a list item until it hits gold.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:59 pm I really hate Steam early access :roll:. I have 203 games on my Steam wishlist, but if I exclude pre-release (not a lot of those) and early access, I have exactly twelve :(. I'm really trying to avoid buying games that aren't in full release because I tend to burn out on them in EA and then not bothering with them when they hit full release.

Is there a way to find out how many Steam games I own that are in early access? I'm afraid it is going to be a significant number.
YMMV, but this has increasingly become a meaningless distinction for me, for the reasons clarified below (though I would hasten to add, I certainly do not mean to imply that you are an "Early Access hater" simply because you prefer to play fully released games):

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am going full retro: MOH Allied Assault, with Spearhead and Breakthrough DLCs. Somehow I don't remember these missions. Was it so long ago I've played them, or did I confuse them with COD?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heck if I know. i confuse them too. I do remember that in MOH I was a living demigod with a shotgun in multiplayer DM. Got accused of cheating even and i would have had no idea how to cheat back then.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:14 am
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:59 pm I really hate Steam early access :roll:. I have 203 games on my Steam wishlist, but if I exclude pre-release (not a lot of those) and early access, I have exactly twelve :(. I'm really trying to avoid buying games that aren't in full release because I tend to burn out on them in EA and then not bothering with them when they hit full release.

YMMV, but this has increasingly become a meaningless distinction for me, for the reasons clarified below (though I would hasten to add, I certainly do not mean to imply that you are an "Early Access hater" simply because you prefer to play fully released games):

A ten minute video? I might read a paragraph or two to understand the uploader's arguments, but otherwise I have other things to do with my time :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm A ten minute video? I might read a paragraph or two to understand the uploader's arguments, but otherwise I have other things to do with my time :wink:
Why you gotta be such an Early Access Hater hater hater? :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:28 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm A ten minute video? I might read a paragraph or two to understand the uploader's arguments, but otherwise I have other things to do with my time :wink:
Why you gotta be such an Early Access Hater hater hater? :coffee:
Well, when I saw the word "Rant" in the title I figured hell, if I wanted to go to listen to to someone rant, I'd go visit my wife's relatives :ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned or posted about before, but I think it's a pretty cool concept, at least if you are a Sony player... The Sony Access Controller is great for aging gamers (like me)
Now, thirty years later, I’m surprised to find myself in need of some accommodation to allow me to continue gaming. I’ve always been able to game with no accessibility issues, but in my fifties, I’ve found that my hand dexterity has decreased to the point where it is about nil. A delightful combo platter of degenerative nerve, tendon, and bone conditions have conspired to both numb my hands and lock my thumbs in place to the point where my doctor told me that either I stop gaming, or I lose what little grip and motion I have left. Let’s be real: I’m getting old, but I'm not going to stop gaming. Since holding a standard controller is now out of the question, I’ve had to look for alternatives.

Enter the Sony Access Controller, a new device developed by Sony with a great deal of input from disabled gamers. Sony announced the release of the Access Controller right around the time that my hand issues were coming to a head, and I latched onto the idea of using one like a drowning man latches onto a life ring.

I’ll be honest, for the first couple of days after it arrived, the Access Controller and I just kind of sat there in the living room giving each other the stink eye. The controller was giving me some serious “Who do you think you are, you’re not a person with disabilities” vibes, and in return I was sending it some “I really want to play Gotham Knights now that it is on Plus, but I can’t believe I’m going to have to use you” sneers. It can be tough coming to terms with new physical limitations, even those as minor as my own. In some ways, unpacking the Access Controller felt like admitting to myself that I was moving into a new phase in my life, and I did not like it one bit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Warhorse Studios, a little info:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone (besides me) have any experience with this game?

I played the limited time demo back in September of 2022 and thought it had potential. And since I'm apparently a hypocrite :mrgreen: for not buying more Early Access games I thought I'd pick the game up, especially as I've managed to miss the Steam Holiday Sale which had it on discount :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Boat Crew coming one day soon. Command your own PT boat in WW2.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This looks kind of cool...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It does. It also looks like a game I'd probably be terrible at. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, me too. I'm interested enough that I put it on my Steam wish list and may pick it up on sale. At full price, it is just slightly over my impulse-buy price limit.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh wow. I saw the post yesterday but thought it was going to be a Guybrush Threepwood simulator so I didn't watch it.

Today I did watch it and it's far more dynamic than I expected. Looks very cool.

Next copycat game is going to be 3 musketeers, I'm betting.

Wishlisted.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A fan-made, 7-hour Portal 2 prequel just hit Steam for free and it's so good that I'm sad Valve stopped making Portal all over again
Remember when Valve made an ingenious pair of puzzle games about portals and then failed to count to three? Nothing new there, but it's a shame Portal remains one of Valve's forgotten children while the company aims to keep exploring Half-Life. These days, the hallowed halls of Aperture Labs only make an appearance when Valve needs a quick and quirky tutorial for its latest VR hardware or PC handheld. But the Portal community never stopped testing. They've been at it for years uploading new test chambers, original stories, and entire fan campaigns to the Steam Workshop.

This weekend, a big one dropped.

It's called Portal: Revolution. It's a completely original seven-hour campaign with new characters, mechanics, and a story that takes place between Portals 1 and 2. It's a huge mod—so big that developer Second Face Software published it with its own standalone Steam page and thumbs up from Valve. Revolution was built on Strata Source, a "community-made branch of Source engine" officially licensed from Valve. Revolution is still very much Portal 2, you even need to own it first, but Second Face says the upgraded engine means it can do things that "would be impossible in Portal 2." I've put almost two hours in so far, and I'm starting to see what they mean. Revolution isn't just "more Portal."
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

En Garde looks awesome. I think I've had it on my wishlist for awhile now. And speaking of swordfighting games, here's another one I've had my eye on called Hellish Quart.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

2024 is already looking like a fantastic year for survival games
Sharpen your axe, fill your canteen, and make sure you pack some emergency rations: 2024 is shaping up to be an excellent year for survival games. Not only are there a lot of them coming in the near future, they all look substantially different from one another.

Do you want to explore a fantasy realm shrouded by a life-sapping mist, hunt for artifacts in an irradiated exclusion zone, or fight creatures that have been twisted by an alien virus? If mobile bases are your thing, how about driving a station wagon through a forest filled with deadly anomalies or piloting a rolling base over an alien planet while surrounded by duplicates of yourself? Pick your poison, because 2024 has the survival game you're looking for.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One of those games is heading into Early Access on Steam on Jan 24:

I'm tentatively interested in checking it out at some point, but probably won't be jumping straight in at the EA launch.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So many early access survival games. I love the genre but I hate that none of them are ever completed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:54 pm So many early access survival games. I love the genre but I hate that none of them are ever completed.
Me too. While I somewhat agree with the video that Anonymous Bosch posted above, about how buying Early Access helps developers make better games, I feel like there is a flip side to the coin, where someone can whip up some good videos and sample gameplay screenies, pull in all that early access money and then let the project die. While I can afford to blow a couple dozen bucks on games that never goes to full release, that's not true for everyone. Oh well.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I think the thing that attracts me to Enshrouded is that the voxel-based terrain deformation/construction reminds me of Everquest Next/Landmark. I had a fair bit of fun with Landmark before it was all cancelled.

I was going to say that Early Access projects from developers with a track record are probably less risky. But then I remembered Chris Roberts. And Richard Garriot. And Peter Molyneux. So much for that theory...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have owned DayZ for many years..had lots of fun with it...but think its still early access. The best early access game I ever paid for and still love today is Starsector. And that guy is STILL improving it. Ive actually finally seen it listed on best space game videos on YouTube lately.

Years later and still just $15. And theres a LOT of game for $15. Plus you can mod it. Tons of mods for it. That reminds me I hear the Star Trek mod for Sins of a Solar Empire is great.

This game needs a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then again, I've played a few early access games that were better than some full releases despite never hitting 1.0.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:54 pm So many early access survival games. I love the genre but I hate that none of them are ever completed.
Yeah, I feel like part of the survival aspect is having the game survive early access.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:36 pm
Yeah, I feel like part of the survival aspect is having the game survive early access.
:D

Meanwhile... Hitting Early Access today, a city builder with survival aspects

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Btw, to your earlier point, I'd actually add a third: That a lot of early access games are frankly expensive for what they are. Sure, I'd like to support a developer I like, particularly if they have a history of well-supporting their game, but $40 is particularly high for a game that's still in development. Of course, that goes with the stipulation that many people have different ideas of what they can weather. But pricing it lower at say $20 for the duration of the dev cycle is more likely to attract more funding in the long term. Raise it if you must after it exits early access, but high pricing makes me hesitant when there's an incompletion variable in the mix.

For similar reasons, I dislike crowdfunding sites. I don't have a lot of disposable income, so the very idea of "donating" or "investing" in projects is a big turn off.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I think I've posted about this game before, it's from the folks who brought you Bomber Crew:

Here's a short informational video taken from a Q&A with the devs:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like free early access first followed by $20 and under early access. I totally ignore any early access over $20..probably forever. I did find 2 of my favorite games ever by early access though..Star Sector and Space Pirates and Zombies. The first one..still cant get into SPAZ 2..they changed what I enjoyed about it too much.

As for the 'CREW' games I have a couple...they are all fun time wasters. This one looks interesting as well. Wondering when they'll make Garbage Crew...own a waster management business and landfiill. Have the crew of a garbage truck and go out on routes and runs and such....Ill get to ride on the back of a garbage truck or fire truck somehow someday...my childhood dream :P
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:00 pm I think I've posted about this game before, it's from the folks who brought you Bomber Crew:

This would scratch a current itch I have. I've been looking at solo rpgs (like the ones discussed in the solo roleplaying thread in 'Gaming in General') and the Car Wars "Truck Stop" supplement popped into my head one day. Back in the day of old school Car Wars, Truck Stop was a way to add Semis and motorcycles to the Car Wars universe. Truckers were envisioned as the 'Knights of the Highway', doing their job and blowing past raiders and gangs to deliver their precious cargo. Sadly I never found a solo rpg that had post apocalyptic truckers, although Courier and Highway Holocaust fit the bill for post-apocalyptic road adventure.

So the premise of Badlands Crew and the fact that you customize and outfit your own Badlands big rig looks great!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

All-time dumpster fire The Day Before shuts down 46 days after launch
To recap the timeline, the $40 game launched on December 7, Fntastic abruptly said it was shutting down on December 11 and Mytona pulled the plug on the game’s servers on January 22. After the studio’s closure, an official statement from Fntastic said, “Unfortunately, The Day Before has failed financially, and we lack the funds to continue.”

A message from Fntastic CEO Eduard Gotovstev, allegedly posted on Russian social channels on December 11, claimed the game had sold over 200,000 copies. At the time, the title had garnered 81 percent negative reviews on Steam, and nearly half of buyers had requested refunds.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I was puttering around with my Steam wishlist and realized that I always excluded all pre-release games. So I decided to get the early access games off the list and show just the full release games (of which there are only five) and those in pre-release state. There are also a few pre-release DLC, mostly for American Truck Simulator. And there is this handy stats button at the top...

So I checked and yup, I have 98 games (and DLC) on my wishlist that are pre-release. Any interesting highlights? How about this one I added in June of 2019? Sounds cool. Its development appears to be dead.

But what is my oldest pre-release game on the list? Oh, it's this one I added in February of 2018. They do have a demo. And they are looking for Alpha testers, oh wait, that was back in 2022 :roll:

Finally, I will close with this game that I added in January of 2020. It appears to be dead. Shame, since nudity was going to be an option :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fragile Existence ,...ad it to your wish lists.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A couple of recently released games of note

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:08 am
Downloaded this last night. I'll have to try it soon.
Pretty enjoyable for a while, but it's hit the point where it's crashing so frequently I'll probably give up for a bit and hope they can patch it to stability.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And it updated last night and seems to be stable again - for now.