FAFSA form

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: FAFSA form

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:34 pmSure it will vary based on the major, but if the school can't produce job-placement statistics for a specific major, I'd be real nervous.
You've distilled everything that is wrong with the current state of college education into a single sentence, well done!! :D
Last edited by RunningMn9 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:31 pmI'm sure she will succeed if she wants to.
I'm gonna ask a big question: what if she doesn't want to?

It took me a long time to learn that succeeding and being happy aren't the same thing, and it ain't always easy to succeed at being happy. It's criminal that society puts this on 17 year olds to figure out. Godspeed brother. Parenting is hard.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:39 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:31 pmI'm sure she will succeed if she wants to.
I'm gonna ask a big question: what if she doesn't want to?

It took me a long time to learn that succeeding and being happy aren't the same thing, and it ain't always easy to succeed at being happy. It's criminal that society puts this on 17 year olds to figure out. Godspeed brother. Parenting is hard.
All of these things. I learned it from the other side - realizing that success was out of my reach, but happiness was not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Every time I pass this thread I think its FASA . "Is there a new mech ga...shat nm"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:49 am Every time I pass this thread I think its FASA . "Is there a new mech ga...shat nm"
That particular version of FASA shut down 17 years ago. If there were a new one, it would be Microsoft.

Unless you're actually referring to the original company and the original BattleTech tabletop game. If so, they also shut down a ling, long time ago, and those rights are held by Catalyst.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh oh:
College hopefuls are already waiting longer than usual for their financial aid offers this year, due to the delayed release of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). But what applicants may not realize is that this year's FAFSA also comes with a big mistake — one that will lower the amount of federal financial aid many receive unless it's remedied soon.

The U.S. Department of Education is wrestling with whether to fix this mistake in time for this year's financial aid applicants. A last-minute FAFSA change of this magnitude could further delay college aid offers, but it would also mean many students would qualify for more help.

And lawmakers told the Education Department to use a new, more generous formula to protect more of a family's income from being used to determine financial aid eligibility. They also told the department to adjust its math for inflation.

Let's call this one partially checked ... because the department didn't do that last bit, adjusting for inflation — a failure first reported by The Washington Post.

That's a problem because protecting more of a student's or family's income allows them to qualify for more financial aid. And failing to adjust this "income protection allowance" for inflation, especially given the past couple years of rampant inflation, will make it look as though students and families have more income at their disposal than they really do. And that will mean they qualify for less student aid.
What does that mean in practical terms?
Without this inflation adjustment, according to McKibben, a single parent with two children who is trying to go to college would have more than $10,000 of income considered in the student aid math that should instead, he says, be protected.

Without adjusting families' incomes for inflation, McKibben warns, hundreds of thousands of students could either get less Pell Grant aid than they otherwise would have – or not qualify for Pell at all. The lack of an inflation adjustment will also impact a student's ability to qualify for other federal aid, including work-study, as well as financial aid offered by states and schools.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It was stupid easy to complete. Guess I got lucky that they changed the format as they imported most of it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com