shapez - simple factory builder

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

shapez - simple factory builder

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:01 pm Yeah, you seem like someone who has trouble finding new niche games. :lol:
From that video I posted today on the Video Games Randomness thread about upcoming factory games, I saw a mention of the game shapez 2 which is coming out in the next year, building on their already existing game shapez (I hate this e. e. cummings crap of not using capitalization, but whatever :roll:)

A quick search in our forum found a couple of mentions of the game by Kasey Chang but no dedicated thread for it. So in my never ending quest to play games that no one else is interested in, I bring you Shapez... err, shapez!

I've put in 43 minutes on it after putting in about a half hour on the demo, by the way there is a demo :wink:. It's a relaxing sort of factory game, at least so far. And for a saw buck I figure I can give it a try, at least as long as I don't hit the two hour mark in case I want to do a refund :think:. And yes, I know it was free on Epic a little while ago, but Epic.

Some gameplay. I'm adding a third production line to make, well, you can see what I'm making.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Re: shapez - simple factory builder

Post by coopasonic »

I put about 14 hours into it back in September and had fun with it. I don't remember why I stopped. Probably some release. It is an interesting kind of puzzle, kind of like factorio with all of the theme/context removed. I am curious to see the sequel when that hits.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's the constant "new" shapes they want you to make that makes you scratch your head, esp. when it's not totally obvious. That's when the game lost me. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This game reminds me a lot of Dyson Sphere Program and I've put in over 160 hours on that. Of course my shapez solutions don't look as elegant as most peoples do:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i like puzzle games, but after trying this for a while a few years ago, it really doesn't appeal to me. these factory titles seem to be more of an OCD scratch-itcher than anything.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:35 pm i like puzzle games, but after trying this for a while a few years ago, it really doesn't appeal to me. these factory titles seem to be more of an OCD scratch-itcher than anything.
I find in my factory builders that there has to be a purpose to the construction, otherwise it gets pointless quickly. I'm still at the point in shapez where I'm trying to achieve goals, but there isn't some golden solution the game is pushing me to use. So it's still fun. This is one of the reasons I kept up with Dyson Sphere Program for so long, there was an ultimate end goal to achieve.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I haven't started a separate thread for shapez 2, but for those interested there is now a demo on the product page

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And in the spirit of not yet creating a new thread for the game, I'll note that there is now a demo for shapez 2