Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:16 pm Thats weird. They usually supply me with a rma ship label. Least thats as I recall. Not returned anything to them in 4 years
They do here, too (or just let me drop it off.) But an RMA label requires some way to get the now-labeled package to the shipper. Said shipper, for me, is a 60-mile round trip, and I'm still sans transport. That'll be solved by next week (if my flipping insurance agent will ever answer the phone - it's been five days that I haven't been able to get him to return a call from a voice mail.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A few weeks ago I received a dress I didn't order in a package with some other things I did order. It was in the box but in a separate package with a prepaid USPS label for someone in Texas (I could tell what it was because it was in semi-opaque packaging and you could read the label through it).

I got on Amazon to return it and had to use "I received something I didn't order and want to return it." When I got to the drop off options, the closest was in Norridge. That's several miles away, 60+ minutes each way in normal traffic. There's a Whole Foods a few blocks away with a giant return desk. But they want to send me to Norridge?

As a test, I did the form to return something I did buy from the same order. It gave me the local WF, and dozens of nearby places, as an option so it wasn't a capacity issue.

I tried the real return again yesterday. Still Norridge. Fuck it, going to drop it at WF anyway. Could do USPS but since I didn't pack or label it, not comfortable with that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:50 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:16 pm Thats weird. They usually supply me with a rma ship label. Least thats as I recall. Not returned anything to them in 4 years
They do here, too (or just let me drop it off.) But an RMA label requires some way to get the now-labeled package to the shipper. Said shipper, for me, is a 60-mile round trip, and I'm still sans transport. That'll be solved by next week (if my flipping insurance agent will ever answer the phone - it's been five days that I haven't been able to get him to return a call from a voice mail.)
Did you check to see whether you're able to select UPS Pick-up as one of the options for returning your item? Sometimes it's listed under 'other methods,' or words to that effect. I dunno if it varies by location, but that option is typically also free, as long as the relevant item was shipped/sold by Amazon.com. And if the item is eligible for UPS Pick-up, you don't even need to leave your house, as UPS will typically pick up your package on the next business day.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:41 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:50 pm
Did you check to see whether you're able to select UPS Pick-up as one of the options for returning your item? Sometimes it's listed under 'other methods,' or words to that effect. I dunno if it varies by location, but that option is typically also free, as long as the relevant item was shipped/sold by Amazon.com. And if the item is eligible for UPS Pick-up, you don't even need to leave your house, as UPS will typically pick up your package on the next business day.
Yep, it's an option. It's also been a disaster in the past. UPS usually doesn't come anywhere near my door, and when they need to see me face-to-face about something, they usually knock on the downstairs door (which leads only to an empty common area with access to the actual apartments.) So, I spend all day keeping the volume low, not wearing headphones (which I normally do), not going into rooms that are too far from the front door... and then they knock on a door that isn't mine and leave.

I'm not in that much of a rush. I'm annoyed at Amazon refusing to offer another alternative to someone with an account in good standing with more than 20 years on it, and I'm annoyed that they left me holding the bag for their (or their sellers') bad-faith sales rather than making it right yet again, but I'm not going to spend an entire day waiting by the door to cut the wait shorter.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:53 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:41 pm Did you check to see whether you're able to select UPS Pick-up as one of the options for returning your item? Sometimes it's listed under 'other methods,' or words to that effect. I dunno if it varies by location, but that option is typically also free, as long as the relevant item was shipped/sold by Amazon.com. And if the item is eligible for UPS Pick-up, you don't even need to leave your house, as UPS will typically pick up your package on the next business day.
Yep, it's an option. It's also been a disaster in the past. UPS usually doesn't come anywhere near my door, and when they need to see me face-to-face about something, they usually knock on the downstairs door (which leads only to an empty common area with access to the actual apartments.) So, I spend all day keeping the volume low, not wearing headphones (which I normally do), not going into rooms that are too far from the front door... and then they knock on a door that isn't mine and leave.
Wow, that's a right pain in the arse.

Given the situation you describe, have you considered purchasing a simple plug-in wireless doorbell system like this? FWIW, it's currently available as a Lightning Deal on Amazon for $19.99:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

It has a 1300ft range with two plug-in receivers that provide LED notification and up to 115 dB of volume, so I doubt you'd have any worries in future if/when someone knocks at the incorrect downstairs door. From the sounds of it though, I'd suggest placing the wireless doorbell near that downstairs door, along with a suitable weatherproof label on or beneath it to clearly indicate that it's for your particular house/suite number.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:53 pm I'm not in that much of a rush. I'm annoyed at Amazon refusing to offer another alternative to someone with an account in good standing with more than 20 years on it, and I'm annoyed that they left me holding the bag for their (or their sellers') bad-faith sales rather than making it right yet again, but I'm not going to spend an entire day waiting by the door to cut the wait shorter.
Fair enough.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah. They leave incoming packages downstairs, which is fine, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of mounting something on a 130-year-old brick wall (where the outer surface is starting to get crumbly) covered in peeling paint. The only time I'd actually benefit from something like that is the once-a-year when something needs signed for. Besides, there's a functioning doorbell down there already that nobody, in 20 years here, has ever rung on purpose.

I have considered getting a camera for out there, though, although the wiring would be a problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

For just $24 you can get one that looks like this cutie:

Of course, all these need to be delivered.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I just noticed today that Amazon has added GPS tracking to its shipment tracking. When the package is out for delivery, they display the courier's location on a map, and appear to update it in real time.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:22 pm I just noticed today that Amazon has added GPS tracking to its shipment tracking. When the package is out for delivery, they display the courier's location on a map, and appear to update it in real time.
They've had that for quite a while... at least a couple of years, though it could have been a regional roll out kind of situation.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:20 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:22 pm I just noticed today that Amazon has added GPS tracking to its shipment tracking. When the package is out for delivery, they display the courier's location on a map, and appear to update it in real time.
They've had that for quite a while... at least a couple of years, though it could have been a regional roll out kind of situation.
This is the first time I've noticed it in action here. In spite of the fact that at one point it was within a block of my apartment building, the tracking currently shows my package is back at the carrier facility, undelivered. Which is, I suppose, better than being "delivered" to the wrong address.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The package is out for delivery again today, but without the detailed geotracking. Probably for the best...

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:42 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:20 pm
This is the first time I've noticed it in action here. In spite of the fact that at one point it was within a block of my apartment building, the tracking currently shows my package is back at the carrier facility, undelivered. Which is, I suppose, better than being "delivered" to the wrong address.
I had that happen when I was waiting for my quest 3. I watched it go back to the depo. He came back out to deliver though. I was waiting and he said he needed to get parcels back to the station to be sent out. So they are doing pickups and deliveries some times.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lawsuit coming:
A proposed class action lawsuit, filed Friday in California federal court, claims breach of contract and violations of state consumer protection laws on behalf of users who saw the terms of their subscriptions with Amazon change when it pivoted to making its ad tier the default for its over 100 million subscribers.

In 2023, Amazon, which declined to comment, announced plans to turn on ads for all Prime Video viewers. The platform last month rolled out the change, instantly turning the service into a streaming-ad juggernaut and the largest ad-supported subscription streamer. Users must pay an additional $2.99 per month to watch without ads.
Maybe next year, maybe no go