The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Post by Blackhawk »

I drive a 2000 Buick Regal.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:14 pm I've never had to use mine to start my car but I've used it about a dozen times to start someone else's. And a few times to charge devices. And a lot to top off tire pressure.
I guess a real benefit to those things might be "not" having people with really suspect vehicles wanting to hook their battery up to your car battery, and possibly doing who knows what damage to your vehicle's computer or electrical system.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You said battery "charger". To be clear, the one that gilraen and I have is for jumping/starting a dead battery. It is not a charger. You do not leave it attached. I'm not aware of any that will charge a battery that don't require they be plugged in. (Though they may exist.)

The assumption here is that you want the ability to start the vehicle without having to have another vehicle jump it. And you would presumably be doing some driving to actually charge the battery itself.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something like that. Although I have no idea how long I'd have to drive it to get it charged. Everything I see is based on 'highway speeds', which isn't a thing I can achieve around here.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've never heard that. I've always been under the impression that simply driving around town works. At least it's worked for me.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, but make sure to bring the jump starter along with you. :D

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I've seen, driving around town does work, but it takes hours.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

You can let the car idle and it will charge.
There are two kinds of chagers. One is a jump starter that is made simply to jump start the car. The power needed is based on your car engine. A 2000 Buick likely has a 6 cylinder and a 3.0 liter engine. A 1500 Amp jump starter is more than enough. 1000 is probably sufficient but I would not go any less than that. This one gets good reviews and is fairly cheap. Currently it's got a 20% off coupon. I just ordered one after reading your post.

If you have trouble with your car dying in winter due to lack of use then a trickle charger would be just the ticket. I have this one. Since I bike to work a lot my car can go weeks without moving and when the battery was a little older it would be dead when I wanted to drive it. It can take time but it's cheap and works well to keep the battery charged in the winter.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In certain cases, you also need a block heater to warm the engine at night, which will also prevent the batteries from draining. We've used both trickle chargers and jump starters depending on the condition.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, the charger I ordered just showed up yesterday, and the jump starter today (I ended up getting both, as I have nobody to call if it dies when I'm away from home, and with the current issues, I really need an option if it won't start 30 miles from here.) I'm still waiting for the extension cord to arrive, which ended up being way, way more than I expected (I wasn't aware until it got here that you can't charge car batteries in the house.)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You don't want to charge in any confined space with no ventilation.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As I said...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:33 pm Actually, the charger I ordered just showed up yesterday, and the jump starter today (I ended up getting both, as I have nobody to call if it dies when I'm away from home, and with the current issues, I really need an option if it won't start 30 miles from here.) I'm still waiting for the extension cord to arrive, which ended up being way, way more than I expected (I wasn't aware until it got here that you can't charge car batteries in the house.)
Bloody freaking hell. I got the charger in. I found that I had to order a 100-foot extension cord in order to use it. That finally arrived. Now I've found that the charger won't work with my type of battery without ordering a special adapter. :grund:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And let me add that there's a special place in hell for people who assume that everyone loves cars, so they don't bother to give 'unnecessary' details. I spent 15 minutes trying to find out what size adapter I need for a Buick, but there was nothing. I don't follow anything to do with cars. How the hell was I to know that I needed a General Motors part? I don't know what corporation owns what damned brand.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does anyone know of a cheap, durable... holder of some sort that will hold a couple of full-sized books? It needs to be something water resistant, but not water proof. It needs to be something that isn't too bulky and can sit on a shelf without being in the way.

I'd thought of a small laptop case, but they tend to be built around lots of padding (which makes them bulky.) Zipper bags would work, but they're not big enough, and not terribly durable (plus they look tacky sitting on a shelf.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Canvas tote, wrapped around?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:00 pm Does anyone know of a cheap, durable... holder of some sort that will hold a couple of full-sized books? It needs to be something water resistant, but not water proof. It needs to be something that isn't too bulky and can sit on a shelf without being in the way.

I'd thought of a small laptop case, but they tend to be built around lots of padding (which makes them bulky.) Zipper bags would work, but they're not big enough, and not terribly durable (plus they look tacky sitting on a shelf.)
Zippered PVC pouches may fit the bill, e.g. something like this:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:33 pm Actually, the charger I ordered just showed up yesterday, and the jump starter today (I ended up getting both, as I have nobody to call if it dies when I'm away from home, and with the current issues, I really need an option if it won't start 30 miles from here.) I'm still waiting for the extension cord to arrive, which ended up being way, way more than I expected (I wasn't aware until it got here that you can't charge car batteries in the house.)
Bloody freaking hell. I got the charger in. I found that I had to order a 100-foot extension cord in order to use it. That finally arrived. Now I've found that the charger won't work with my type of battery without ordering a special adapter. :grund:
Where’s the joy in that?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Shower heads, shower heads, roly-poly shower heads.
Shower heads, shower heads, recommend some.

We need a shower head
That works with hard water
We don't have a lot of
Pressure here

We like a shower head
Without a bunch of extras
Too many gadgets tend
To clog up

This was our last one
And we really liked it
But after five years
It is dead

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not a recommendation per se, but you mentioned low water pressure. Whichever one you get, you should consider removing the filter/governor thingie that all/most shower heads and faucets get shipped with these days (in order to restrict flow and save water). It's usually a plastic piece that looks like a filter and is (has been for me at least) always very easy to id and remove.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The flow restrictor? No, I'll keep that in. Most have mechanisms to compensate for it anyway. It's more that I probably can't support one of the giant 'rain' style show heads.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:20 pm The flow restrictor? No, I'll keep that in. Most have mechanisms to compensate for it anyway. It's more that I probably can't support one of the giant 'rain' style show heads.
which, if you needed, have an extra here. also might have an old used (non-giant) one! i can check.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:20 pm The flow restrictor? No, I'll keep that in. Most have mechanisms to compensate for it anyway. It's more that I probably can't support one of the giant 'rain' style show heads.
OK, I was just responding to your "We don't have a lot of Pressure here" line. I also have very low water pressure here and there is a noticeable difference in water flow taking out the regulators vs not. Good luck!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can anyone recommend a really good ice pack? I've done something painful to my right knee (at the top of the tibia - hopefully not a tendon), and I'm trying to ice it, but the ice packs I have turn warm after three or four minutes.

And yes, I know about frozen peas, but I don't want to try to strap frozen peas to my knee when I'm not lying down.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A big bathroom and walk in shower are things Ive always wanted to design for myself. So many options now days. Ill never have what I want but its fun to look.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:50 pm Can anyone recommend a really good ice pack? I've done something painful to my right knee (at the top of the tibia - hopefully not a tendon), and I'm trying to ice it, but the ice packs I have turn warm after three or four minutes.

And yes, I know about frozen peas, but I don't want to try to strap frozen peas to my knee when I'm not lying down.
Per the recommendation of my physical therapist, I found the FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack to be effective. It stays cold for an extended period and provides excellent coverage for knee and leg injuries.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke