White House Pharmacy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

White House Pharmacy

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I should have known the White House had it's own pharmacy and I'm sure no one will be surprised that it was super sketchy under the man himself:
The operations of this pseudo-pharmacy went as well as one might expect, according to the DoD OIG's alarming investigation report. The investigation was prompted by complaints in May 2018 alleging that an unnamed "senior military medical officer" was engaged in "improper medical practices." This resulted in the OIG's investigation, which included 70 interviews of military office officials who worked in the White House between 2009 and 2018 and covers the office's activity until early 2020. However, the investigation heavily focused on prescription drug records and care between 2017 and 2019 during the Trump administration.

During that time, staff at the White House pharmacy kept handwritten records of prescriptions, the OIG found. The records frequently contained errors in medication counts, illegible text, crossed-out text, and lacked medical provider and mandatory patient information. The pharmacy let White House staff pick up over-the-counter drugs from open bins, in violation of Navy medical regulations. It didn't dispose of controlled substances properly, increasing the risk of diversion. Staff provided prescriptions without verifying patients' identities, and provided prescriptions to people who were ineligible for care. And it dispensed pricey brand name products freely, rather than generic equivalents that are considerably cheaper—also a violation of regulations.

In one interview, a White House pharmacy staff member said an unnamed doctor asked "if I could hook up this person with some Provigil as a parting gift for leaving the White House."
Also:
Another White House pharmacy staff member gave clues as to what the staff was doing with those brand name prescriptions. The staffer told OIG investigators that ahead of overseas trips, the staff would prepare packets of controlled medications to be handed out to White House staff. "And those would typically be Ambien or Provigil and typically both, right. So we would normally make these packets of Ambien and Provigil, and a lot of times they’d be in like five tablets in a zip‑lock bag. And so traditionally, too, we would hand these out. . . . But a lot of times the senior staff would come by or their staff representatives . . . would come by the residence clinic to pick it up. And it was very much a, 'hey, I’m here to pick this up for Ms. X.' And the expectation was we just go ahead and pass it out."
Costs:
Between 2017 and 2019, the White House pharmacy spent an estimated $98,000 for Provigil. In that same time frame, it also spent an estimated $46,500 for Ambien, a prescription sedative, which is 174 times more expensive than the generic equivalent. Even further, the White House Medical Unit spent an additional $100,000 above generic drug cost by having Walter Reed National Military Medical Center fill brand-name prescriptions.

Between 2017 and 2019, officials also offered senior government officials a patient category code for care at Walter Reed, such that the facility was unable to properly bill them. In the three years, Walter Reed waived over $496,000 in outpatient fees because of these patient categories.
I'm sure it's all just an unfortunate coincidence.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Re: White House Pharmacy

Post by Zarathud »

Trump’s half a million drug spree.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't suppose now-Congressmen/then-Presidential-physician and known raging alcoholic Ronny Jackson was involved in any of this?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, he was taking Ambien so it stands to reason he was frequenting the White House pharmacy while making house calls, I'm sure.

The actual report doesn't mention him, which does seem odd.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 pm

Between 2017 and 2019, officials also offered senior government officials a patient category code for care at Walter Reed, such that the facility was unable to properly bill them. In the three years, Walter Reed waived over $496,000 in outpatient fees because of these patient categories.
If I'm reading that right, they created this billing code so the individuals could evade paying their copays/co-insurance. So not only were they getting these drugs mostly subsidized by their government insurance, they wouldn't even pay the small copay, which is outright theft and fraud. I mean I guess I shouldn't care about them stealing $40/pop for their drugs but I do. It's infuriating.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Oh my god Hunter Biden has been hiding in the White House all this time!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We traced the call....IT'S COMING FROM INSIDE YOUR PANTS!
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:53 pm I mean, he was taking Ambien so it stands to reason he was frequenting the White House pharmacy while making house calls, I'm sure.

The actual report doesn't mention him, which does seem odd.
It's coming out now that Jackson was demoted from Rear Admiral to Captain back in 2022, as a result of that investigation.

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Mar/03/2002592287/-1/-1/1/DODIG-2021-057.PDF