Interesting news for fans of Brandon Sanderson

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: Interesting news for fans of Brandon Sanderson

Post by Zarathud »

Sanderson’s Reckoners stood out before the dystopian super hero genre took over streaming. Mistborn has good characters in a full world and developed magic system. Storm light was an interesting take on the existing universe.

He’s not literary, he’s reliable entertainment. The author didn’t do his homework before the trip, and unrealistically expected some scoop on the guy who cranked out a bunch of books during the pandemic and ran a phenomenal Kickstarter for his fans.

But — Sanderson is just a writer who works with discipline to produce content. There’s definitely unfounded resentment in finding out the barrier to writing success is just — writing consistently. Not being a tormented or wild soul.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Formix

Post by Formix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm As I come back to my computer after bringing in a package off the porch and excitedly unwrapping my hardcover copy of Tress and the Emerald Sea, I think about how to express my enjoyment of Sanderson's books. The problem is that I don't really know why they resonate with me. I am notoriously uncritical of most media like books, movies and shows. I am very easily pulled into a world that I can visualize and Sanderson's books do that for me. Are they academically unchallenging? Certainly. Does that mean they aren't entertaining? Nope. Could I be reading something better? Probably. Do I care? Nope.

By my count I have read 21 Sanderson books, including the WoT books and 3 novellas. I have enjoyed every single one of them. That probably accounts for more than half the pages I have read in the past 10-15 years. Yeah, I don't read much and maybe that is part of it.
This is me as well. I read a LOT. Different genres, authors, etc. And for whatever reason, I just like his writing. I think maybe it's because he seems acutely aware of the tropes of this genre, and plays with them in expected and unexpected ways. Not to mention you can literally look at the bar graph on his website and see when the next book is coming.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Esquire article from Mar 29th. Has the title of Secret Project #2 in it, if you are still trying to avoid it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:47 pm Esquire article from Mar 29th. Has the title of Secret Project #2 in it, if you are still trying to avoid it.
It came out Saturday so any backer that checks their mail probably knows already.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished the second secret book. Not what I expect from Sanderson and not what I expected from the title, but still interesting and worth a read. A lot shorter than the first book.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:53 pm Just finished the second secret book. Not what I expect from Sanderson and not what I expected from the title, but still interesting and worth a read. A lot shorter than the first book.
Can say much the same for the third book. I found it a bit lackluster, but it paid off in the final third of the book. it's not a super long read so it's not as bad as that makes it sound.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just pledged $550 for
  • The Way of Kings Leatherbound - Signed
  • Signed Words of Radiance Leatherbound + 1 Radiant Pack + 1 Backer Pack
  • New Secret Project Box