If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by Zarathud »

Worth it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did it. Shouldn't have. After a $4000 cc bill for medical last month, ironically it puts on the "do/get something you want" mode. The extra 5% put me over the top. $51.27 for all the DLC. Not sure how smart the decision was but now I have something "new" to play. If I broke in to several purchases I think I could have receive several free "overwhelmingly positive" games. I ended up with Everhood whatever that is.

Now I guess it's time to reinstall.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

An UNCONVENTIONAL ADVENTURE RPG that takes place in an inexpressible world filled with amusing musical battles and strange delightful encounters. To put it simply: You are in for a ride.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Growing a colony of either vampires or furries should brighten your day. Or go crazy and do both!
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My latest base, at the end...

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oh my God.

I have much to learn/ work toward.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

38 years. That's a lot of silver!

Great looking base.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Crazy. And awesome.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Love the Eye of Sauron…building. What is that, a cafeteria? :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thanks, everyone. :)
Yeah, this was one of my seriously long games (heavily modded, as well).

The big eye at the top is the Throne Room (thrones are gold, on the top side)
The Yin Yang room is a Ball Room.

This wasn't even the end of the game, I just failed to keep taking pictures.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The developer has posted new teaser art, which generally precedes a DLC by a few weeks. Expect a name to get dropped in the next few days.

Looks very eldritch horror themed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow. New DLC is great!

I was under the impression that Rimworld had been declared finished or something.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This game just keeps on kicking ass. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of going back and playing more and more of it.
It's the ultimate "ant farm". Soooo many ways to play too.

Sounds like it will be about Void Gods
Spoiler:
Also, apparently the DLC was already on Steam, but hidden:
Spoiler:
And it's on Steam now - Wishlish-able.

"Anomaly"

Darkness stirs on the rim. Survive flesh infestations, cultist attacks, shambling undead, blood rains, invisible hunters, and other sanity-shredding perils. Capture and study entities to harness the power of the void. Conduct psychic rituals and awaken an evil machine god.

RimWorld - Anomaly is a horror-themed expansion inspired by classics like Cabin in the Woods, The Thing, The Cthulhu mythos, Hellraiser, and many more.

Warning - spoilers below.
Spoiler:
Your colonists accidentally awaken a dark monolith and provoke an insane machine-mind of unfathomable power. Its terrifying manifestations begin to haunt the world. Survive these strange happenings as you study the new phenomena and learn how to end the madness.

Horror stories of every kind
It’s not just about fighting monsters. It’s paranoia, war, infestation, and mystery.
  • A psychically-invisible hunter of human souls screeches outside your walls, returning every night to capture a new victim. The proximity alarm goes off, but you can’t see the beast. Study samples of the creature to learn to detect it. Then, become the hunters and kill it where it lives.
  • A massive flesh creature is growing across the landscape, consuming and covering the whole map with a quivering mass of meat. It defends itself with beasts and acid. Fight it to get samples of its nervous system, then study them until you can venture to its heart and kill it for good.
  • A parasite has mind-controlled some of your colonists - but who? They pretend to be human as they work to infest others. Track evidence, imprison, interrogate, and medically test people to find out who is infested before it’s too late.
    Your colonists become obsessed with a beautiful golden cube, one by one. They build statues of the cube. They worship the cube. They love the cube.
  • A pulsating obelisk appears. Its dark power is unknown - it may duplicate people, teleport them to an realm of infinite gray mazes, or violently mutate them with new fleshy appendages. Learn what it does and overload it.
  • A corpse arrives that looks exactly like one of your colonists - and seems to follow them.
  • And many more weird and horrifying events!
Horror combat
You’ll fight battles against squealing fleshbeasts, hordes of shambling undead, spherical death-machines, massive devouring water-beasts, lumpen imitations of human beings, and many more sanity-shredding perils. Use the monsters against your normal human and mechanoid foes where you can.

When a great hole opens in the ground, you must venture to the caverns below, kill the massive creature that lurks beneath, and escape before the collapse.

Capture and study dark entities in your facility
To defeat the monolith’s manifestations, you must gain their power. Build a grand containment facility so you can capture monsters, study them, and exploit them. Expand it with stronger walls, floors, and doors to keep them secure. Exploit your captives to use their power against your enemies - but don’t push them too far!

Harvest the new bioferrite resource from your menagerie to craft experimental serums, flamethrowers and hellcat rifles, flesh-mutating pulsers, insanity-inducing weapons, and other void-powered tools.

Fight the cultists who serve the machine-mind
Macabre cultists will come and perform their psychic rituals with suicidal commitment. Destroy them before they abduct your people, summon bloody beasts, or just drive you mad.

Use psychic rituals for your own purposes. Summon the massed dead, rain rage-filled blood, or steal the minds and health of your foes - if you’re willing.

Escalate the power of the monolith to access the void in the new endgame
In the end, the world will go insane. All will be in darkness as terror squirms in the shadows. Only then may you face the machine god and choose your fate.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The 1.5 updates to the base game are currently available (on the beta "unstable" branch) and are very stable. Clearly they're using this time for game balance purposes.

I'll be buying the DLC (4756.4 hours of gametime... and counting), but I'm of a mixed opinion. I'm not much for horror elements in my fiction, and this mostly looks like "side" scenarios rather than expansion of the standard game. I'm very open to being wrong, but my initial response is fairly lukewarm.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

In other news, Norland seems to be set for release next month. I mentioned it on the last page, and it looks like a Rimworld copy, but set in medieval times.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Meal wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:41 pm The 1.5 updates to the base game are currently available (on the beta "unstable" branch) and are very stable. Clearly they're using this time for game balance purposes.

I'll be buying the DLC (4756.4 hours of gametime... and counting), but I'm of a mixed opinion. I'm not much for horror elements in my fiction, and this mostly looks like "side" scenarios rather than expansion of the standard game. I'm very open to being wrong, but my initial response is fairly lukewarm.
I'm more or less with you on the overall excitement for the DLC content. Some will be sorta fun to play around with a little (a corpse-twin of one of your pawns that shows up, for instance), but I'm sure a lot of it will be something I don't play with much. A lot of the 1.5 changes are also things that have just been absorbed from a number of very popular mods (no shame in that at all, but I've played with those mods enough now that I've come to expect them in the game anyhow).

One thing new to me that I'm looking forward to is the downed pawns dragging themselves to safety if they can, leaving a trail of blood. :twisted:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:59 pm In other news, Norland seems to be set for release next month. I mentioned it on the last page, and it looks like a Rimworld copy, but set in medieval times.
I did some of the early play and Norland really seems to lack the open world story telling of RW for DF even if it uses a lot of RW skeleton elements.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alrighty then... Time to saddle back up.

(Anomaly DLC: $25, so I'm sure that will hold a lot of people off.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

RW has been so good for so long, I’ll gladly pay full price and still consider it a value.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm pretty certain it's the least amount of money I've paid per hour of enjoyment, in any monetary transactional sense.

But that's me :P