Red Faction: Guerilla stripped of GfWL

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Red Faction: Guerilla stripped of GfWL

Post by Rumpy »

For a while now, there was a question wether this game would ever have GfWL stripped out. It's a 9 year old game, and I think many started giving up hope that we'd ever see it happen. This is particularly problematic, as, if you didn't have a GfWL account, you couldn't save your game, which essentially gimped the game.

Recently, Nordic Games aquired the franchise and around a month ago new activity started happening on Steam as they were getting into a beta process.

Now, the latest official update to the game has come out, the biggest selling point being GfWL has been patched out, with Steamworks replacing it. This has been a long time coming, and it's great to see a developer committed to fixing an older game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
NickAragua

Re: Red Faction: Guerilla stripped of GfWL

Post by NickAragua »

It's also on steam sale right now.

Anyone have any opinions if Armageddon + DLC is worth $3 and (more importantly) the time it would take to play through it?
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Armageddon was actually a solid game, but also devoid of anything special. They somehow managed to make destruction boring by sticking everything back in tunnels, with annoying aliens, while simultaneously destroying all story elements of past games.

Everything is kind of by the numbers. Like they put all their effort into Saints Row and left all character out of Red Faction.

Worth $3? Sure, it's better than a lot of games that are $3, but perhaps not really worth your time.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

NickAragua wrote:It's also on steam sale right now.

Anyone have any opinions if Armageddon + DLC is worth $3 and (more importantly) the time it would take to play through it?
My opinion is don't bother. Unless your only other option is X-Blades or something, your time is much better spent on a different game, especially if you've played Guerilla.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Ok, thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take a pass.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

NickAragua wrote:Ok, thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take a pass.
Guerilla is a blast though.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh and btw, for whatever reason, while the game defaults to newer than DX9, people tend to experience glitches that aren't present in the DX9 version. Steam has an option to start in whichever version. One example would be being unable to move. Switching to DX9 fixes this.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nevermind that last one. They've just updated yet again which removes those annoying glitches like the coat glitch which also prevented from moving the character. The game is now playable in DX11.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I forgot how fun this game is. Just destroying stuff is a blast. I wish someone would do the next version of this type of destruction.

I saw mentioned that it could import your old saves/achievements, but that didn't work for me (even using the -migrate_live option).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Did you know the terrain deformation mechanic was originally developed for Descent 4?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That makes sense. From what I remember of the early development, it sprung from the original plans for a descent sequel featuring different types of vehicles and FPS portions of the game. Eventually they scrapped that idea, and the original Red Faction was born.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It'd be reasonable for them to go straight ahead and make a full Red Faction reboot.

Although, I wonder if they'll look at Saints Row and try to do something more off the wall, like turning it into a Borderlands style revamp in both tone and art style.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Turtle wrote:It'd be reasonable for them to go straight ahead and make a full Red Faction reboot.
Every single game has pretty much been a reboot, changing gameplay, history, characters. The only thing consistent seems to have been Mars.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Turtle wrote:It'd be reasonable for them to go straight ahead and make a full Red Faction reboot.

Although, I wonder if they'll look at Saints Row and try to do something more off the wall...

Speaking of which, the end of the 3rd game takes place on Mars, which looks very much like RFG. Same engine?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I installed the RF Guerrilla Remarstered. Anyone familiar with it? I played the original many years ago but never finished it. Didn't get close. I finished the first two RF games games though.

Anyways I dotn recall the controls being SO terrible. So far Ive found I cant jump, sprint, or use a controller to play it. I cant rebind keys that I can find. So Im forced to reach way over for the E key sometimes.

Is there stuff Im missing?..no jump? Really?? No sprint and such? Maybe I could edit my keys at least some place?

I thought Id have fun with this classic but if the controls are awful maybe thats why I quit the other times. You'd think a reMARstered remake would fix stuff or add stuff from the future but doesn't seem to.

Forget it I found soem hidden changes I can make.l.not all and now Ive got one button totally screwed. Going to reset it al land start over...when Im not mad ...been mad for weeks at thhe world and games. I can play a little but if something goes wrong oh brother I ma tyrant. Im quitting it for now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FWIW, there used to be a bug in the original game that would root you in place right at the start of the game and that's what this sounds related to it, but I'd thought the remastered version would have fixed it. I had only experienced it in the original version.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti