The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by Kraken »

Prepare for a "gray swan" climate
the way to think about climate change now is through two interlinked concepts. The first is nonlinearity, the idea that change will happen by factors of multiplication, rather than addition. The second is the idea of “gray swan” events, which are both predictable and unprecedented. Together, these two ideas explain how we will face a rush of extremes, all scientifically imaginable but utterly new to human experience.

Our climate world is now one of nonlinear relationships—which means we are now living in a time of accelerating change. Tiffany Shaw, a climate physicist at the University of Chicago, has studied how upper-level jet-stream winds will accelerate under climate change; each degree Celsius of warming will increase the speed of these winds by 2 percent, likely leading to a set of unpleasant impacts, including more turbulence on flights and more accelerated storm systems. Plus, the fastest winds will speed up more than 2.5 times faster than the average wind will. Slow winds won’t change nearly as much. In other words, the fastest winds will get faster, fastest.

Again and again, climate scientists are discovering these nonlinear relationships in the climate system. They recently found one for snow: Once warming hits a certain threshold, the snowpack in the Northern Hemisphere is set to diminish in nonlinear fashion with each additional degree of warming, disappearing faster and faster. Meanwhile, the already moist air in the tropics can hold more moisture because of warmer temperatures, and scientists have found that this relationship also responds nonlinearly to warming: With each additional degree of heat, wet places will get wetter in an accelerating fashion, leading to torrential downpours and flooding. In an offense to sensitive ears everywhere, scientists call this the “moist-gets-moister” response.
Among these new extremes will be gray-swan events. These are not like black-swan events, which Shaw described as completely “unpredictable or unforeseeable.” Instead, scientists will start to observe things that they can foresee based on physics, but that haven’t appeared in the historical record before. “As we reflect, as climate scientists, on events that we see emerging, there are these record-shattering, extreme events,” she said. “Events like that truly push the boundaries of what our models are capable of.”
More examples and projections follow. They are not encouraging.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like a movie.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 am More examples and projections follow. They are not encouraging.
Yikes. I think I'm most curious (is that the right word?) to see if the wildfire situation in Canada is a problem for the air quality in the NE again this year, because it feels like maybe it's going to be a regular thing now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Suing your shareholders for trying to make the company sustainable is certainly an interesting thing to do...
ExxonMobil faces dozens of lawsuits from states and localities alleging the company lied for decades about its role in climate change and the dangers of burning fossil fuels. But now, ExxonMobil is going on the offensive with a lawsuit targeting investors who want the company to slash pollution that's raising global temperatures.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:57 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 am More examples and projections follow. They are not encouraging.
Yikes. I think I'm most curious (is that the right word?) to see if the wildfire situation in Canada is a problem for the air quality in the NE again this year, because it feels like maybe it's going to be a regular thing now.
Zombie fires
The remnants of the most extraordinary wildfire season in recent Canadian history are still smoldering on a scale that experts say is unprecedented. The warm and dry winter, particularly in western Canada, has left more than 150 fires burning across British Columbia and Alberta, according to the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Center.

While it’s common that such hot spots — known as holdover or zombie fires — can smoke and smolder through the cold months, this amount of them is not.

“We’ve seen this before but never at this scale,” said Michael Flannigan, a wildfire expert and professor at Thompson Rivers University in British Columbia. “I’ve been watching fire in Canada and abroad since the late ’70s. I’ve never seen anything like this.”

These winter fires burn underground, often consuming peat — thick layers of compacted organic matter, including sphagnum moss. Plumes of smoke seep out, even from beneath snowfields. The vast majority of them are deemed “under control” by Canadian authorities, but experts worry that the fires could spread when spring comes and winds pick up.

“The perimeters are thousands and thousands of kilometers long. [Firefighters] haven’t gone and put all these hot spots out,” Flannigan said. “These fires can grow.”

Further warm and dry conditions brought on by the El Niño weather pattern have heightened fears about what’s to come this summer.

Federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan warned this week that Canadians needed to be “prepared for the worst.”

“Early reporting suggests that this year’s wildfire season could be worse than the last,” Sajjan told reporters in Ottawa.

The Alberta government has already declared that fire season has started — before the traditional beginning in March — and the province’s forestry and parks minister is asking for funding to hire an additional 100 firefighters.

“The dice are loaded for a very active spring,” Flannigan said.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm I was just thinking we should all eat less, but your method would work too.
Actually if you think about it, global warming will eventually solve all our problems...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:11 pm We were supposed to have a world-ending blizzard here, and instead it's rain. They canceled school today in anticipation, and people around here are just like, "Wow! The weatherman lied again!!!! :D :D" Meanwhile, I'm screaming internally.
Does that really have anything to do with global warming though?
My understanding is that it's a relatively slow process, so you might have less snow then normal year to year but it wouldn't affect the actual day to day forecasts.
We've had a few of those near me where doom was predicted and nothing happened.
While I realize it's not an exact science i did think weather prediction technology has advanced enough to at least get real close.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:07 pm Suing your shareholders for trying to make the company sustainable is certainly an interesting thing to do...
ExxonMobil faces dozens of lawsuits from states and localities alleging the company lied for decades about its role in climate change and the dangers of burning fossil fuels. But now, ExxonMobil is going on the offensive with a lawsuit targeting investors who want the company to slash pollution that's raising global temperatures.
Chamber of Commerce is now getting in on the action along with they usual suspects.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-chambe ... 024-03-14/
March 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said on Thursday it has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's new rules that require public companies to report climate-related risks.
The business lobbying group joins a list of entities challenging the securities regulator over rules aimed to standardize climate-related company disclosures about greenhouse gas emissions, weather-related risks and how they are preparing for the transition to a low-carbon economy.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/esg/repub ... sure-rules
West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey on Wednesday announced that a coalition of Republican leaders in 10 states is suing to block the SEC’s just-released rules requiring companies to disclose their carbon emissions.

Morrisey (R) said he and the Georgia attorney general filed a petition for review in the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit with support from Alabama, Alaska, New Hampshire, Indiana, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Wyoming and Virginia. Morrisey called the SEC’s rules “a back door move to undermine the energy industry.”
I also see the price of gas went up 50 cents a gallon this week. It must be election season. Ironically, every time they use energy as a leveraging chip, it helps the cause of Nuclear, renewables, and energy consumption that is less reliant on fossil fuels. Hopefully, one day it will start in on plastics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher wrote: While I realize it's not an exact science i did think weather prediction technology has advanced enough to at least get real close.
Weather prediction is based on observations and modeling of past events. If the events are new, there are no models that can accurately predict them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 pm
Punisher wrote: While I realize it's not an exact science i did think weather prediction technology has advanced enough to at least get real close.
Weather prediction is based on observations and modeling of past events. If the events are new, there are no models that can accurately predict them.
Hmm.
Don't think I realized that. I really thought it was more strict science like sensors and radars snd such and less interpretive dance.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In this case, past performance is a good guide to future events. We’re writing ourselves out of past performances.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:47 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 pm
Hmm.
Don't think I realized that. I really thought it was more strict science like sensors and radars snd such and less interpretive dance.
It is a data driven science, yes, but the predictive aspect involves a lot of matching current data to existing patterns. Barometer does this, temperature does that, and in 274 out of the last 300 times it was like that, there was [weather] that resulted. Now some of the traditional factors are behaving differently, and there are new factors in play, and things changing that were constants before. I don't know how much of a factor it is, but as a top-of-my-head example, the salinity of seawater is changing. That wasn't really much of an issue before, but it can alter the dynamics of the oceans themselves, including the temperature. Is that an issue? Monitor it for the next decade and compare the salinity changes to the way the weather behaves. Until then, there is a little more of a chaos factor in the predictions. Now add in another hundred factors like that...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:32 pm I also see the price of gas went up 50 cents a gallon this week. It must be election season. Ironically, every time they use energy as a leveraging chip, it helps the cause of Nuclear, renewables, and energy consumption that is less reliant on fossil fuels. Hopefully, one day it will start in on plastics.
Oh, come on. The price of gas is up, but it's not due to it being election season.

TLDR: It's mostly due to refineries shutting down for maintenance to switch over to summer gasoline blends.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm
LordMortis wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:32 pm I also see the price of gas went up 50 cents a gallon this week. It must be election season. Ironically, every time they use energy as a leveraging chip, it helps the cause of Nuclear, renewables, and energy consumption that is less reliant on fossil fuels. Hopefully, one day it will start in on plastics.
Oh, come on. The price of gas is up, but it's not due to it being election season.

TLDR: It's mostly due to refineries shutting down for maintenance to switch over to summer gasoline blends.
Yeah, but ALL the usual misinformation machinery suspects (foreign and domestic) are spamming social media saying it's Biden's fault, and the usual rubes are buying it (and repeating it) as part of their cult membership ;).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC is on this morning blaming pricing on US producers not being able to produce due to Bidenomics driving global prices up and the advantage being taken by Russia.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am CNBC is on this morning blaming pricing on US producers not being able to produce due to Bidenomics driving global prices up and the advantage being taken by Russia.
Maybe it's past time to be sole sourcing your news from CNBC.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:44 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am CNBC is on this morning blaming pricing on US producers not being able to produce due to Bidenomics driving global prices up and the advantage being taken by Russia.
Maybe it's past time to be sole sourcing your news from CNBC.
I agree. I'm looking for something better. I don't know where to turn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thanks. I might have to leave this on in the background and see if it's any good...

https://schwabnetwork.com/

I will try to remember tomorrow morning.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tried this morning. It's how to do option trading. "Morning Trading Live" and it's not even live. It's from 16:00 last night.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Record temperature jump in Antarctica is "simply mind-boggling"
n 18 March, 2022, scientists at the Concordia research station on the east Antarctic plateau documented a remarkable event. They recorded the largest jump in temperature ever measured at a meteorological centre on Earth. According to their instruments, the region that day experienced a rise of 38.5C above its seasonal average: a world record.

This startling leap – in the coldest place on the planet – left polar researchers struggling for words to describe it. “It is simply mind-boggling,” said Prof Michael Meredith, science leader at the British Antarctic Survey. “In sub-zero temperatures such a massive leap is tolerable but if we had a 40C rise in the UK now that would take temperatures for a spring day to over 50C – and that would be deadly for the population.”

This amazement was shared by glaciologist Prof Martin Siegert, of the University of Exeter. “No one in our community thought that anything like this could ever happen. It is extraordinary and a real concern,” he told the Observer. “We are now having to wrestle with something that is completely unprecedented.”
For the Celsius-challenged (like myself), that's 101 F. :shock: 50C is 122F.

A lengthy explanation of the potential consequences follows. It's not a feel-good story.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:00 am For the Celsius-challenged (like myself), that's 101 F. :shock: 50C is 122F.

A lengthy explanation of the potential consequences follows. It's not a feel-good story.
Note: 38.5C above its seasonal average

What was the temperature? Who knows? I couldn't find it while skimming the article, which is probably because the article they are referencing also appears to be missing this detail.

An increase of nearly 40C is, as Kraken points out, a HUGE increase. But I want to know what the average is and what the measured temperature was.

If anyone wants to do more than skim the articles, or are just better skimmers than I am, and find the numbers being used, please let us (me) know. Thanks.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Quick search says that the typical temperature for Antarctica in March is -55 to -69C. It's a crazy leap in temperature for one day, but the weather was still far below freezing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:52 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:00 am For the Celsius-challenged (like myself), that's 101 F. :shock: 50C is 122F.

Note: 38.5C above its seasonal average

What was the temperature? Who knows? I couldn't find it while skimming the article, which is probably because the article they are referencing also appears to be missing this detail.

An increase of nearly 40C is, as Kraken points out, a HUGE increase. But I want to know what the average is and what the measured temperature was.

If anyone wants to do more than skim the articles, or are just better skimmers than I am, and find the numbers being used, please let us (me) know. Thanks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And that's why you want the information to come from the article. We have 3 sources of information, 1 leaves the actual temperature out completely, and the other two don't match, and one leaves us to do the math ourselves. It's not that the math is hard, it's that it's basic article writing to actually provide the information, not force the reader to go elsewhere.

Annoying.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68768598
A group of older Swiss women have won the first ever climate case victory in the European Court of Human Rights.
The women, mostly in their 70s, said that their age and gender made them particularly vulnerable to the effects of heatwaves linked to climate change.The court said Switzerland's efforts to meet its emission reduction targets had been woefully inadequate.
It is the first time the powerful court has ruled on global warming.
They launched their case nine years ago.