Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

tylertoo

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by tylertoo »

Enough wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:20 pm I have been on the fence on Earthborn Rangers since it has returned to crowdfunding.
I too was on the fence until yesterday when I watched this just-posted, overly effusive Shut Up and Sit Down review. Ordered base game along with $15 extra pack of something or other.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well that was a surprise.
My copy of Rainbow 6 showed up.
Box is smaller than expected but had to run out before checking it.
Debating if it's worth playing or reselling down the road as there will be limited quantities available.
Would be the first game I'm even considering selling.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:55 pm Well that was a surprise.
What is it? I can't find it even listed on BGG>
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:07 pm
Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:55 pm Well that was a surprise.
What is it? I can't find it even listed on BGG>
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/338 ... board-game

maybe?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Is that the correct game Punisher?
Doesn't look like the reviews are very happy with the publisher. :shock:
The game itself may be good though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The surprise was that it showed up at all. There was a tremendous amount of drama concerning it's release.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Yes that is the game and Blackhawk hit the nail on the head.

Like MAJOR drama. Basically held your game for ransom and if you didn't pay you get nothing. Good day sir!
Piss poor communication. Blatant lies...repeatedly...
Original was pay extra or nothing. Want to drop your level to cover the costs? We will cancel your original order and bill you for the new one. Oh.. did we mention that refunds are currently and literally years behind? The last we heard a few months ago they were still working on refunds from july 2022 (it actually might be 2021 but not sure. Definitely not 2023)
And since this ultimatum came down in 2023 I suspect that anyone asking for a refund in 2023 wont get anything.
It wasn't until months later where someone posted to reach out to a specific person in the comments that we found out that you could downgrade to cover the differnce. Thats what I ended up doing.
I can't see Mythic games surviving much longer. I also can't see anyone supporting them in another kickstarter.
Because a LOT of people lost their pledges I suspect that there won't be a lot out in the wild which could drive up the price.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I love this game but could never get anyone to play it because my “skill” with crokinole gave me a slight edge. Nice to see it make a comeback, the neoprene mats are a great idea.

Ascending Empires
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On my phone and too lazy to link it but there is a Kickstarter for a Flash Point Legacy game. I’m going to have a hard time resisting that even if we haven’t played Flash Point in many years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That's really tempting. I love FP, we played a lot of it during the Pandemic, because it was easy to play with a webcam.

But I barely have time to play my one D&D game a week as it is. I would get this, and it would just sit there. Like a lot of my other games.

Is this maturity? Or depression? :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have two red Xs, and only one green checkmark. Should I be contacting technical support?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're an outlier.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:I have two red Xs, and only one green checkmark. Should I be contacting technical support?
Same.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I own the base Flash Point but came to it very late and I found some of the mechanics pretty dated after playing various flavors of Pandemic and other more modern co-ops. But I do love my legacy games. So I'm a bit torn. At least it's a cheap back if I decide to pull the trigger.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:20 pm
Blackhawk wrote:I have two red Xs, and only one green checkmark. Should I be contacting technical support?
Same.
Ditto.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm
hentzau wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:34 pm Just got my copy of The 7th Citadel delivered today. Wasn't expecting that for a while. I'll have to figure out when I can break it out to try it.
You did? I haven't even got a shipping notice. Did you get the base game or all the expansions. I got the expansions so thats why I am waiting I think.
And I'm STILL waiting on a shipping notice, let alone the actual game. :x
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have three red Xs. Should I reboot the system?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 am
I have three red Xs. Should I reboot the system?
Probably best to scrap it and do a full upgrade.
RMC

Post by RMC »

https://boardgamewire.com/index.php/202 ... ankruptcy/

I am guessing this is old news, but in case anyone didn't know.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat and I loved playing a painted Super Dungeon Explore at Origins. My Druid was so much fun, just from the sculpt of his bondage bear form. Not surprised, but what a shame.

But when you screw $3 million from backers, some hostility is to be expected.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:27 pm Hepcat and I loved playing a painted Super Dungeon Explore at Origins. My Druid was so much fun, just from the sculpt of his bondage bear form. Not surprised, but what a shame.

But when you screw $3 million from backers, some hostility is to be expected.
Yeah, I actually was there to watch you play the one year... I still chuckle at Bondage Bear Form...
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:( That's too bad. But honestly, I'm getting more and more wary of kickstarter these days. I feel like something bad is around the corner for the whole thing. Probably just me, though. I'm weird.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No kidding. I'm already on edge about a couple of the projects I backed a year or two ago that are due to ship soon. They did "We'll charge for shipping when we ship" back when it was still a new thing. Now that we've got another shipping crisis (the Suez and Panama canals are both nearly shut down), people are starting to see more and more projects costing more to ship than to back. If my existing ones do, I may have to hope for a refund and eat the penalties.

Blind shipping fees have become common, and it's made me extremely hesitant to back anything anymore.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s killing the golden age of gaming, that’s for sure. I have become much more selective, and reprints and expansions are more attractive than original stuff. Too much has fallen flat.

I did back Rogue Angels simply because the developer went through hell getting his first 4X game out (Burning Suns), but came through eventually. And it’ll be hard to stop me from getting everything by Cody Miller or Orange Nebula. Really like their stuff.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only there were dedicated logistics pipelines that handled shipping and distribution to control costs…
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 pm If only there were dedicated logistics pipelines that handled shipping and distribution to control costs…
Don't they already have tho...

Oh wait.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:14 pm
Scoop20906 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm
hentzau wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:34 pm Just got my copy of The 7th Citadel delivered today. Wasn't expecting that for a while. I'll have to figure out when I can break it out to try it.
You did? I haven't even got a shipping notice. Did you get the base game or all the expansions. I got the expansions so thats why I am waiting I think.
And I'm STILL waiting on a shipping notice, let alone the actual game. :x
Aaaannnndddd the shipping notice just arrived.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I think i got my notice the day it arrived.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:01 am The successor to Duel of Ages:

Includes solo play, co-op campaign and access to an STL library if you want miniatures. The only knock is that the co-op/solo set requires an "all in" pledge (you must own set 1 and set 2).
Heads up all tabletop gaming enthusiasts and lovers of immersive, captivating gameplay! If you missed out on the initial Kickstarter campaign for the incredible Worldspanner Factions, fret ye not -– an exciting opportunity has arisen. The developer, for whom I have an unwavering admiration, has now opened a late pledge manager, granting you the chance to secure your copy of this award-winning masterpiece if you missed out on the original campaign.

To fully grasp the depth and allure of Worldspanner Factions, I highly recommend checking out the videos below, that walk you through what it's all about, and show how it plays:

This gaming gem and its predecessors have garnered well-deserved accolades from the tabletop gaming community, so don't let this second chance slip through your fingers. Seize the opportunity to immerse yourself in its brilliance firsthand. Suffice to say, if it improves upon the original Duel of Ages games, you won't regret embarking on the extraordinary journey Worldspanner Factions will provide. :handgestures-thumbup:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m all in on it. Hopefully they can make the predicted June ship date. I gave my duel of ages 2 master set to a friend to make room in my shelf for this bad boy.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Re: Worldspanner Factions - am I correct in that the only way to get solo/campaign play is the all-in?

My copy of Gloomhaven: Buttons and Bugs came in. One of our gaming group members Kickstarted a copy for everyone in our Frosthaven group.

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet as I'll be picking it up from him on Tuesday, but very much looking forward to it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:04 am Re: Worldspanner Factions - am I correct in that the only way to get solo/campaign play is the all-in?
Yes, I believe so. Campaign and solo play are part of the third set, "Foes", which in turn requires the first two sets, as shown here. So the Full Series pledge gets you everything shy of the STL model add-ons:
gamefound.com wrote:Full Series
$179.00
August 2024
All-In: Sets 1, 2, and 3 plus both promo packs

Product description

You get all three Worldspanner Factions Sets, plus the Pack A: Treasures! and Pack B: Heroes! This is everything outside of add-ons, and gets you Campaign, Co-op and Solo play.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got my shipping notice for Set a Watch: Forsaken Isles and Set a Watch: Doomed Run. Should be here Wednesday.

I'm super excited for this one, as Set a Watch has yet to be dethroned as my favorite go-to travel game. I've got all the content up to this latest release, and I'm really looking forward to the new campaign mode.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Starship Simulator

Imagine a smaller USS Enterprise experience in all but name (and without the Paramount license). This is a game where you can occupy any crew position while other players (or AI) do the same. It's a system-heavy simulator where all the buttons and display screens matter. The initial ship offering seems like a light Federation scout: a round hull of seven decks fully modeled with a warp drive on the back. Future ships at all scales are promised.

The feature list seems almost too good to be true. It includes a fully realized Milky Way galaxy with plausible science (FTL notwithstanding) and different sorts of life forms (from planetary bacteria to fully formed interstellar civilizations) generated in the engine. Eventually, diplomacy and Away Teams will be a thing. I assume ship-to-ship combat will also appear. All of this will be in a shared universe among all players, although single-player is possible.

The ideal presented here hits all my buttons. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I need to know that they have the resources for promised content creation in the long run.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:56 pm Starship Simulator

Imagine a smaller USS Enterprise experience in all but name (and without the Paramount license). This is a game where you can occupy any crew position while other players (or AI) do the same. It's a system-heavy simulator where all the buttons and display screens matter. The initial ship offering seems like a light Federation scout: a round hull of seven decks fully modeled with a warp drive on the back. Future ships at all scales are promised.

The feature list seems almost too good to be true. It includes a fully realized Milky Way galaxy with plausible science (FTL notwithstanding) and different sorts of life forms (from planetary bacteria to fully formed interstellar civilizations) generated in the engine. Eventually, diplomacy and Away Teams will be a thing. I assume ship-to-ship combat will also appear. All of this will be in a shared universe among all players, although single-player is possible.

The ideal presented here hits all my buttons. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I need to know that they have the resources for promised content creation in the long run.
I spent four years in the Navy, this doesn't sound like a game, it sounds like a job. But some people like the Flight Simulator programs as well, so maybe it is like that?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

From what I understand, you can also just be a random passenger sitting in the bar while the ship burns around you...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That is fine.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:56 pmThat is fine.
:D
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.