Car troubles thread....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Car troubles thread....

Post by Smoove_B »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:06 pm I can understand this a bit. If he doesn't get it diagnosed then he has no way of knowing what repairs will cost.
Correct, but cars that sit around unused don't "recover"; it's more likely something else is rotting or will have rodents chewing on it between now and May of 2024. At what point does it become better to sell the car and stop paying for insurance to have it sit unused? I get that not having a car is less than ideal, but this seems like a losing battle - especially when money has been voiced as an ongoing issue. Here is an opportunity to (1) get money for selling the car and (2) stop paying a recurring bill.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Change is hard.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:38 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:06 pm I can understand this a bit. If he doesn't get it diagnosed then he has no way of knowing what repairs will cost.
Correct, but cars that sit around unused don't "recover"; it's more likely something else is rotting or will have rodents chewing on it between now and May of 2024. At what point does it become better to sell the car and stop paying for insurance to have it sit unused? I get that not having a car is less than ideal, but this seems like a losing battle - especially when money has been voiced as an ongoing issue. Here is an opportunity to (1) get money for selling the car and (2) stop paying a recurring bill.
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill never sell this car. ive regretted getting rid of every car Ive ever owned. I wish I still had my first car. And I dearly miss our white Trans Am...the rotted out rust it was.

But this is the last car me and my wife had together.l The last one she went everywhere with me. She actually chose this car when we saw it. No, Ill never part with it. Even if I get another Ill keep it to tinker with and mod in years to come. Ill have it when I die. Then it wont matter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:56 pm Ill never sell this car. ive regretted getting rid of every car Ive ever owned. I wish I still had my first car. And I dearly miss our white Trans Am...the rotted out rust it was.

But this is the last car me and my wife had together.l The last one she went everywhere with me. She actually chose this car when we saw it. No, Ill never part with it. Even if I get another Ill keep it to tinker with and mod in years to come. Ill have it when I die. Then it wont matter.
That's your prerogative.

But we're all familiar with the notion of emotional attachment to objects. You're afraid of forgetting precious memories, and you tell yourself the only way to NEVER forget is to hold on to All the Things. Perhaps on some level, you worry about how your wife would feel -- even if she's no longer around to use or appreciate a decrepit vehicle she chose by happenstance many years ago.

But hoarding sentimental clutter has negative effects that far outweigh the positive memories you think you’re preserving. Considering your precarious financial situation, you’re actually hurting yourself significantly when you allow yourself to become The Keeper of All the Things by default for the reasons Smoove aptly clarifies above. More importantly, keeping yourself chained to the past impedes your ability to move on in your life. Because you’re weighed down by memories that are so strongly attached to items, it’s crucial to understand the necessity of allowing yourself to live in the present. You may think that you 'should' hold on to sentimental possessions like your dilapidated vehicle, but that’s nearly always misguided thinking. Because try to ask yourself truthfully, whether your loving wife would sincerely wish to burden you with such a detrimental encumbrance as you struggle to subsist into your declining years?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, all that.

Honest question Daehawk - what would be the difference between taking a picture of your car right now versus having it sit disabled and inoperable in your driveway indefinitely, with respect to being able to see it and think of better days?

I don't think anyone is saying "get over it", but the weight of stuff that you've been carrying around (mentally and physically) is something that's really affecting you in ways (I think) we can all see online in an asynchronous discussion. If I knew you IRL and we could interact face-to-face I'm sure it would be more prominent.

I know this time of year is difficult and I think all comments are being made out of an abundance of concern for a fellow OOer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I bet the crew of Apollo 13 could make an air intake out of the same stuff they used to make a filter adapter, or does that mechanic just mean you need an air filter? All sounds like cheap routine maintenance he's pointing out, not a fix for any actual problem. Oil change, air filter, serpentine belt should come to under $100 even in the "new normal". I don't think I'd go back to that guy.

If it sits much longer you're probably going to have real gasoline problems with everything getting gummed up or turning to shellac.

You also don't want to look like a junkyard, and then draw attention to your house. I don't think you want the county or city taking a closer look at your house. :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Right, the point is that the guy didn't diagnose the one thing that's literally keeping Daehawk from driving the car (where the car may or may not start at any given point, potentially stranding him in town). Like, how messed up is the serpentine belt? To the point where the alternator isn't charging the battery? (which still doesn't fully compute since the car does start on occasion) Or just "okay, it's old and cracked and loose and should be replaced".
em2nought wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:48 pm Oil change, air filter, serpentine belt should come to under $100 even in the "new normal".
I wouldn't go that far. Replacing the belt alone (with the cost of parts and labor) is probably more than $100 these days. And the days of $20 oil changes are long gone (unless you are doing it yourself).
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

gilraen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:56 pm
em2nought wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:48 pm Oil change, air filter, serpentine belt should come to under $100 even in the "new normal".
I wouldn't go that far. Replacing the belt alone (with the cost of parts and labor) is probably more than $100 these days. And the days of $20 oil changes are long gone (unless you are doing it yourself).
I was assuming a guy who wants to "mod" his car someday could do those three things himself. Those jobs don't take Gilligan's Island Professor level skills. Should be good videos on youtube of how to exactly do all those things. Then a harbor freight battery cut out switch is another $10, and a float charger is another $10. Sorry, you won't be able to keep those preset radio stations.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Something i kust thought of with the cutoff.
That will also become an issue when its time to get your vehicle inspected.
It will reset the computer and youll have to drive about 100 miles to clear it.
Still might be netter than a dead vehicle bit it is an isdue.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No inspections here.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Oh. Thats very nice!
mori

Post by mori »

Punisher wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:41 pm Something i kust thought of with the cutoff.
I have a problem with this. All smart people in high vehicle theft areas put remote battery cut offs in their vehicles. Are you telling me none of them would not pass vehicle inspections who are flashing their ECM?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:53 pm
Punisher wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:41 pm Something i kust thought of with the cutoff.
I have a problem with this. All smart people in high vehicle theft areas put remote battery cut offs in their vehicles. Are you telling me none of them would not pass vehicle inspections who are flashing their ECM?
It probably depends on the state. I can definitely say yes they would fail in NJ. I've failed twice for this. The reason I was given is that people who have a failure code will fix the code (not the problem, just clear the code) and flash their chip to finalize it. This shows up as a reset at the dmv. You have to have the chip show 100 miles (or something like that. I only remember being told to drive about 100 miles to have tge chip show history.) Because 8f yiu just cleared the code, the error will come back after driving for a while.

Or something alnog these lines. I don't remember the exact explanation just that a dead battery clears tge codes they need to pass the car.
Obviously this doesn't matter if you have a "friend" who has a licensed inspection place just give you a sticker.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:53 pm
In MA, you don't pass inspection with a Check Engine light on.

I used to get on my high horse about the merits of annual inspection until I learned that states with inspection laws don't have better safety statistics than states without. They're entrenched as a cash cow for repair shops, and of course the state likes its cut too.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:56 pm

I used to get on my high horse about the merits of annual inspection until I learned that states with inspection laws don't have better safety statistics than states without. They're entrenched as a cash cow for repair shops, and of course the state likes its cut too.
They shouldn't even have to have additional cash cows in the new normal. My cousin just paid $775 for her rear brakes to be done which wasn't even what she asked them to do. She asked them to fix her brake fluid leak which she still has. I think it's the brake manifold rear seal or gaskets under the fluid reservoir. They couldn't even be bothered to put the cap back on the reservoir. WTF? I'm pretty sure they didn't bother to drain the old fluid and replace it with fresh fluid either.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Not an issue in Colorado, from what I can tell. I unplugged the battery to reset a "check engine" light and drove straight to the emissions testing place, they had no problem with it.

Older cars might be able to pass the test with the "check engine" light on (I don't know the exact cutoff), but I didn't want to take the chance.
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:56 pm I used to get on my high horse about the merits of annual inspection until I learned that states with inspection laws don't have better safety statistics than states without. They're entrenched as a cash cow for repair shops, and of course the state likes its cut too.
In Colorado, it's an emissions check so it's not about safety. It's every other year if the car is 1982 or newer (and obviously emissions testing isn't required for all-electric vehicles).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am Not an issue in Colorado, from what I can tell. I unplugged the battery to reset a "check engine" light and drove straight to the emissions testing place, they had no problem with it.

Older cars might be able to pass the test with the "check engine" light on (I don't know the exact cutoff), but I didn't want to take the chance.
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:56 pm I used to get on my high horse about the merits of annual inspection until I learned that states with inspection laws don't have better safety statistics than states without. They're entrenched as a cash cow for repair shops, and of course the state likes its cut too.
In Colorado, it's an emissions check so it's not about safety. It's every other year if the car is 1982 or newer (and obviously emissions testing isn't required for all-electric vehicles).
Emissions are a major part of our law, too, which is fine. But every car is tested every year. Even if you just drove it off the lot.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am Not an issue in Colorado, from what I can tell. I unplugged the battery to reset a "check engine" light and drove straight to the emissions testing place, they had no problem with it.

A while ago I bought myself an OBD II scanner so when the check engine light goes on I can determine myself if I need to worry about it and then clear the error too. I know you can go to an auto parts place too, but I like having it with me, especially on trips.

I wonder if newer cars can actually access the OBD II codes through their infotainment systems?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Im well on my way to fixing my car on my own for a lot less than that $1100 the autoshop wanted.

Bought this for $12...
Enlarge Image

And took back my new crappy dead battery and uptraded for the one I should have gotten the first time.....
Enlarge Image

The car starts right up and runs fine. No check engine light or anything. Ive on;y started it a couple times to test. Im waiting on next months check and then Im going to drive it straight to a place that can test the alternator right and rebuild it there and then if needed...if I can find such a place any longer. Will also have the serpentine belt checked. But to me it looks fine.

Then I should be right as rain again. For under $100.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:14 pm The car starts right up and runs fine. No check engine light or anything. Ive on;y started it a couple times to test. Im waiting on next months check and then Im going to drive it straight to a place that can test the alternator right and rebuild it there and then if needed...if I can find such a place any longer. Will also have the serpentine belt checked. But to me it looks fine.

Then I should be right as rain again. For under $100.
For your sake, I hope you are correct. But I suspect this is more akin to…

Enlarge Image

Because burying your head in the sand and completely ignoring the original underlying electrical issue(s) that kept you from being able to reliably drive the car in the first place seems like a recipe for further disaster.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

At the end of the day, as long as the battery is (mostly) good, and Dae can jump start the car, if needed, it should be good enough. He's not relying on the car for work or cross-country trips. Although when in doubt, it's also good to invest in a portable jump starter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im gonna yank the radio fuses too. I cant drive without a radio but will have to for a while.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Another nail, yay! This time the tire had a whopping few hundred miles on it. Fortunately it was in the middle so they patched and sealed it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:14 pm I think Im well on my way to fixing my car on my own for a lot less than that $1100 the autoshop wanted.

And took back my new crappy dead battery and uptraded for the one I should have gotten the first time.....
Enlarge Image
Take either a photo of the receipt for the battery or make a copy of it. Over time the originals from the register fade to be unreadable.

If your alternator is bad it would be good to buy a trickle charger. They don't use too much energy and they keep the battery in good shape. Letting the battery get run down all the time can shorten the battery life. Harborfreight has a coupon to get one for $6.99 occasionally.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-autom ... 59000.html

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My car was a block of ice this morning. After doing some work and getting into it it started up just fine and I went to town and got stuff done I had needed to do forever.

Even got 15 gal of kerosene so Im not frozen..$75..ugh

My sinkk pipes going out froze as I dripped it day b4 yesterday so couldn't drip it last night and it is all froze now. Still have water in the tub.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Venting.

I have got to get this car fixed soon. Its stressing me out badly. The longer it goes on the worse I stress. I think about it daily.

Without it I cant do stuff that needs doing or I want to do. I cant pay my taxes, I cant go to the doctor or a movie. I cant pick up my monthly medicine and have to rely on the pharmacist owner to deliver it and thats not his job even. I wont be able to early vote or vote at all this year. I cant go to places I miss.

Worse is I have to beg my friend or my sister. But I cant do that for stuff like voting or a movie.

And worse I have no idea when I can fix it. I have put a lot of stuff up for sale but nothing is selling even when I lower prices to absurdity. If every thing I had for sale sold I could get my car fixed, buy a washing machine that Ive not had in 7 months or so and repair that leaking plumbing for my water.

And that no washing machine is hurting me physically . I can barely wash stuff in the sink by hand due to my back issues and now I have a rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder . Im right handed. It hurts like hell to try and wash clothes by hand. Or anything. I can barely rest on it. It pops and I can fell the bone moving forward when I push against anything.

Im just kinda tired. Nothing goes right. Im a nice guy. I live a good person life. Yet shit happens. And the stuff I need happen doesn't.

But the car..if it was fixed would do a lot to help me feel better lol. I looked at it today. Its covered in some kinda black film / dirt. I could barely rub a spot off with my wet finger. I have no idea what its doing to the paint.

I am still thinking of selling it. But I sat down to consider my options and selling it would leave me car less for a LONG time. OR get a used one and be in debt for years more. If I fix it Ill still have a fairly good car to get around in. Im thinking maybe $1000 or less. I THINK its the fuel pump and or fuel filter and a tuneup. Its still possible there is a wiring issue but I think its a gas issue.

My plan is if I get some money is get a mobile mechanic to come out and diagnose it at least. That would save me $100 on a tow to a shop and another $100 to tow it back..unless I had the cash to fix it then.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I replaced my battery today and now Wife is calling me a gearhead. It's like I got a new punch on my man card.

It was the original battery, six years old, and it was having trouble cranking in cold weather.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still find it weird how batteries still weigh a ton in this day and age. battery tech still sucks.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

There's a recall on certain after market fuel filters used on your vehicle https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/fo ... iability#/

I imagine realistically you need at least $4000 worth of maintenance on your vehicle to fix things that have lingered for too long. I'm not even sure how to find someone who would do something like fix all your auto problems, or even tell you what they are.

I was glad to see that you actually have insurance. Do you have comprehensive insurance or just liability? I imagine you could save a bundle with just liability, but then you're taking a risk that you won't cause any accidents yourself, or get hit by an uninsured driver. With as little as you drive the risk is as minimal as it could be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had full coverage years ago. but the wife dropped it after around 2015 when the car was pretty old by then. I still just carry liability and uninsured motors.

My friend has a 1999 toyota 4 runner. he had it classified as antique. He can only drive it under certain conditions now but he saves a lot somehow. Also never has to pay yearly for registration or tags.

As little as I drive i could probably do that too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at that recall list my lights have sucked since I got it, the parking brake doesn't work either.

id have no idea how to do anything about the recalls. They are so old I doubt the food place would honor anything.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://sos.tn.gov/elections/guides/gui ... tee-voting
You are hospitalized, ill or physically disabled and unable to appear at your polling place to vote. A physician’s statement is not required to check this box.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:18 pm Another nail, yay! This time the tire had a whopping few hundred miles on it. Fortunately it was in the middle so they patched and sealed it.
Well, two more nails. This time one in each passenger side tire. This is probably from parking at my kid's school. All the Lincoln Park people are rebuilding or doing work on their giant houses so the street his school is on has work trucks every 30 feet. Every time I pull up to the curb I check for construction debris but I'm sure I miss something.

I've lost track. 6 or so in the past 18 months?

Fortunately I'm at the dealership doing routine maintenance to they're patching the tires for free. "Free" along with the $1K or so in other work (new rear brakes, oil change, sensor suite).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe you should look into getting a tracked vehicle next time :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:18 pm Another nail, yay! This time the tire had a whopping few hundred miles on it. Fortunately it was in the middle so they patched and sealed it.
Well, two more nails. This time one in each passenger side tire. This is probably from parking at my kid's school. All the Lincoln Park people are rebuilding or doing work on their giant houses so the street his school is on has work trucks every 30 feet. Every time I pull up to the curb I check for construction debris but I'm sure I miss something.

I've lost track. 6 or so in the past 18 months?

Fortunately I'm at the dealership doing routine maintenance to they're patching the tires for free. "Free" along with the $1K or so in other work (new rear brakes, oil change, sensor suite).
Discount Tire patches tires for free. I always to $20 bucks even as they ask me not to. I can't patch a tire for nearly $20 worth of effort. I'd say they also got a customer for life based on this philosophy but the last time was there for a cheap rim they kinda screwed me. I asked about the TPM ahead of time. They said it was no problem then they came back and said it would be an extra $200 to put the band in that allows the TPM to work. I was so annoyed I didn't get it done, and now I have no TPM on a poor quality rim on one of my tires.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm
Well, two more nails. This time one in each passenger side tire.
Discount Tire patches tires for free. I always to $20 bucks even as they ask me not to. I can't patch a tire for nearly $20 worth of effort.
When I had a lawn service, having the Sam's Club premier membership was worth it alone in free tire puncture patching. The inside the tire professional patches are better quality than the self applied from the outside of the tire patches anyway. That was in the before times though, I don't know if Sam's Club still offers that free service or not? :think:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was in desperate need of my tired being patched they refused saying the tires was too old to patch. Bah. They wanted to sell me a tire of course. Pass on them forever.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:21 pm When I was in desperate need of my tired being patched they refused saying the tires was too old to patch. Bah. They wanted to sell me a tire of course. Pass on them forever.
My cousin blames her own shortcomings in regard to maintaining her possessions on others as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:21 pm When I was in desperate need of my tired being patched they refused saying the tires was too old to patch. Bah. They wanted to sell me a tire of course. Pass on them forever.
Dude, we've covered this.
It's almost as if people are the problem.