Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by Holman »

My Dad died in October 2020, but I couldn't tell you the day.

I remember 2020 because 2020 was terrible for everyone, and I remember October because I know he passed several days before his birthday (which was Halloween).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I make bigger mistakes than that all the time. I have three kids. One was born on [Month] 6th. One was born on [Month] 7th. My mother was born on [Month] 11th. All the same month. I get the mixed up constantly. Do I remember my own kids' birthdays off the top of my head? Nope. Do I remember when I left my last job? Nope - sometime in the spring, I think.

Biden is old. His mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. There's no question of that. And yes, he's too old, and yes, that's a problem. But there's a difference between a brilliant mind starting to slow down and senility, and if every mistaken word or forgotten date was proof of senility, nobody would be considered competent.

Forgetful Biden is still a clearer thinker than Trump in his prime (and Trump isn't in his prime.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Maybe Hur is the one that has memory issues.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:wub: Raskin. Talk about a candidate for president. I hope he stays healthy for a long time to come. I'm not so sure about editorial behind the footage, though. There was no need to look at TFG competency when his maliciousness was demonstrable, case closed. For Biden, the effort would be to explain the behavior if it's not from wanton intent.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, Raskin is epic.

Raskin/Stewart 2028
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Looks like TikTok is about to be banned.

Great wedge for the republicans. If they ban it then the youth vote will hate Biden if they don’t Biden is weak on China.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:32 pm Looks like TikTok is about to be banned.

Great wedge for the republicans. If they ban it then the youth vote will hate Biden if they don’t Biden is weak on China.
Well, maybe, maybe not. The bill gives TikTok's parent company six months to sell the company. One imagines that they would make a heap of money doing that, so seems like a decent chance that they do. If not, I assume that they'll sue and argue that the law is unconstitutional (seems like a decent chance that they do that at the same time that they pursue buyers for the company).
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I stopped clicking on TikTok videos a couple of years ago, when I became convinced that it's probably Chinese spyware. Don't feel like I'm missing anything except the 3-4 videos a week that my nephew posts in our family Facebook channel, and those are usually based on pop culture references that I don't get. As far as I'm concerned TikTok is a thing for young people, and therefore expendable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have you discussed your suspicions that your nephew is a Chinese agent with your family?
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:05 pm Sounds like he was just meaning when Trump took office. Not a huge slip in my opinion.
But in the 2016 election, he wouldn’t be taking office in November of 2017. That’s just a common sense thing, not a memory issue.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:35 pm Have you discussed your suspicions that your nephew is a Chinese agent with your family?
Everyone knows. When you look at him from certain angles, his eyes are slanty.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Full transcript of Biden’s special counsel interview paints nuanced portrait
The full transcript provides a more complete window into the back and forth between the two men, in which Biden frequently joked with prosecutors in a setting that seemed more chummy than antagonistic. (“I just warn you all: Never make one great eulogy because you get asked to do everybody’s eulogy,” Biden said at one point.) But the president also frequently digressed, with stories about trips to Mongolia and about the time he helped represent a client who lost one testicle and part of his penis. He also later twice mimicked the sounds of a car.

Biden spoke of working “in my pajamas” while at the Naval Observatory, made light of his poor spelling (“If it’s spelled right, it’s probably not”), and laughed off a photo of him with a onetime ally. (“You can tell it’s old. I have my arm around Lindsey Graham.”) He joked about how much time the FBI spent inside his home during the documents probe - “The FBI know my house better than I do” - and about what agents may have discovered.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:53 am Full transcript of Biden’s special counsel interview paints nuanced portrait
The full transcript provides a more complete window into the back and forth between the two men, in which Biden frequently joked with prosecutors in a setting that seemed more chummy than antagonistic. (“I just warn you all: Never make one great eulogy because you get asked to do everybody’s eulogy,” Biden said at one point.) But the president also frequently digressed, with stories about trips to Mongolia and about the time he helped represent a client who lost one testicle and part of his penis. He also later twice mimicked the sounds of a car.

Biden spoke of working “in my pajamas” while at the Naval Observatory, made light of his poor spelling (“If it’s spelled right, it’s probably not”), and laughed off a photo of him with a onetime ally. (“You can tell it’s old. I have my arm around Lindsey Graham.”) He joked about how much time the FBI spent inside his home during the documents probe - “The FBI know my house better than I do” - and about what agents may have discovered.
Fortunately, America's political culture is famously sensitive to nuance.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This interesting as she ran heavily on the IVF and abortion issue:

Last edited by Grifman on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Republicans are going to have to pivot hard in favor of IVF to overcome this kind of sentiment. I don't think they'll be able to do it. On the flip side, Democrats should be bringing up protecting IVF every chance they get.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 am Republicans are going to have to pivot hard in favor of IVF to overcome this kind of sentiment. I don't think they'll be able to do it. On the flip side, Democrats should be bringing up protecting IVF every chance they get.
Supreme Court, Supreme Court, Supreme Court. They should have been hammering it since Obama. They did a good job in 2020 and weaker job in 2022. They should beat it like a dead horse and then beat the dead horse like a rug that needs dirt cleaned out.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Biden is bleeding minority voters:

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It continuously amazes me that minorities are flocking to the guy that would just as soon have them stamped off the face of the earth.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 am It continuously amazes me that minorities are flocking to the guy that would just as soon have them stamped off the face of the earth.
Yes, and women think other women shouldn't have body autonomy.

Such are the risks of a democracy.

What I find especially bizarre is that there are four years of EVIDENCE of what a drumpf presidency entails. Evidence based thinking seems to be in short supply.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 am
YellowKing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 am It continuously amazes me that minorities are flocking to the guy that would just as soon have them stamped off the face of the earth.
Yes, and women think other women shouldn't have body autonomy.

Such are the risks of a democracy.

What I find especially bizarre is that there are four years of EVIDENCE of what a drumpf presidency entails. Evidence based thinking seems to be in short supply.
It's understandable that America made a bad choice in 2016 out of ignorance. Voters knew Hilary Clinton all too well and didn't like her, but trump was a brash outsider and largely unknown, politically speaking. We thought that he might grow into the job, or that he would hire good people and let them rule while he played golf, or they would at least rein him in.

In 2024, we know better. A large majority of voters disapprove of Joe Biden, too, but the alternative is so clearly and undeniably much worse. This time, Americans know what they're buying.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:08 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:02 pm The polling just boggles my mind. It's seemingly like the better the economy gets the worse Joe's poll numbers. The more Trump fucks up, the better his numbers. I just don't understand reality anymore.
The issue is the democrats haven’t followed through on their promises because they assume trump is too crazy to vote for. They are taking voters for granted. And transparently aside from gun rights and abortion they run a unity ticket with the republicans.

And on things like Israel, Afghanistan, the border etc they keep kicking their supporters in the head with either incompetence or ineptness.

The thing s important to the real person on the street they ignore in a cost of living crisis.

Did they repeal the trump tax cuts? No. Have they delivered real minimum wage support. No. Have they delivered real health care (which we can afford). No. Have they kept us in endless forever wars overseas. Yes. Have they done anything about the border. No.

So like Drazzil? (Was that his name?) people want Trump to shake it up or in his own folly to burn it down so they get the change they know democrats keep promising but won’t give them.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Biden needs to do all he can to reach out to these voters:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/3 ... s-00149822
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Not that it should come as an earth-shaking surprise for anyone this weekend, especially after Trump started selling Bibles, but he posted two headlines/articles just in time for Easter weekend.

The crucifixion of Donald Trump

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hoping to avoid a Christmas Trumpicle.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just fundamentally cannot grasp how anyone could look at that stupid hateful asshole and think "hey, he's probably God's chosen."
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:17 am I just fundamentally cannot grasp how anyone could look at that stupid hateful asshole and think "hey, he's probably God's chosen."
I can't grasp how any non stupid hateful asshole could look at that stupid hateful asshole and think "hey, he's probably God's chosen" and yet they do seem to exist in spite of my lack of ability to comprehend.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

First off, that's hyperbole. Trump doesn't want them wiped off the earth, he just doesn't care all that much about any difficulties those communities face. He's willing to use them, just as he uses everyone else, to get what he wants.

Secondly, "it's the economy, stupid":

Democrats were originally worried about a recession, no one anticipated the high bout of inflation coming out of Covid, not that anyone could do anything about it, truth be told. A lot of people feel the pain of inflation, including minorities.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am A lot of people feel the pain of inflation, including minorities.
Yes, but the GOP is suggesting what's happening is somehow Biden's fault when instead a large portion of it is greedflation, created by corporations. COVID tested what people would put up with (financially) and now that a new limit has been experienced, magically corporations have moved into that space to carve out even more money. But as long as the GOP can somehow blame the Democrats and Joe Biden for the weekly grocery bill, that's all that matters.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am First off, that's hyperbole. Trump doesn't want them wiped off the earth, he just doesn't care all that much about any difficulties those communities face. He's willing to use them, just as he uses everyone else, to get what he wants.
So it's *not* genocide, is what I'm hearing.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sorry, I must have gotten him confused with another guy from the '40s who used the exact same language to describe them.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:42 am Not that it should come as an earth-shaking surprise for anyone this weekend, especially after Trump started selling Bibles, but he posted two headlines/articles just in time for Easter weekend.

The crucifixion of Donald Trump

A perfect April Fools joke.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Per the WSJ, the No Labels organization says that it is abandoning its effort to field a "unity ticket" for the 2024 presidential campaign.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:13 pm Per the WSJ, the No Labels organization says that it is abandoning its effort to field a "unity ticket" for the 2024 presidential campaign.
Praise Jesus.

I wonder whether it was due to a lack of interest from potential candidates, but that doesn't really matter in the end.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I did enjoy this quote:
"No Labels has always said we would only offer our ballot line to a ticket if we could identify candidates with a credible path to winning the White House," No Labels CEO and co-founder Nancy Jacobson said in a statement. "No such candidates emerged, so the responsible course of action is for us to stand down."
Who could have foreseen that they might not be able to field a candidate with a shot at winning?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 pm I did enjoy this quote:
"No Labels has always said we would only offer our ballot line to a ticket if we could identify candidates with a credible path to winning the White House," No Labels CEO and co-founder Nancy Jacobson said in a statement. "No such candidates emerged, so the responsible course of action is for us to stand down."
Who could have foreseen that they might not be able to field a candidate with a shot at winning?
If ever conditions were ripe for an independent/third party victory, it's when both major parties are running historically unpopular candidates. No Labels might have had a shot if they'd been able to recruit a popular big name from each side of the aisle. 'Course, it's more likely they would have just been a major spoiler, so we're probably better off without that. IDK who those rock-star candidates might have been anyway.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

How in the world is this guy taking votes from Dems?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna146445
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has said he would consider pardoning Jan. 6 defendants if elected president, and his campaign compared them to "political prisoner" Julian Assange.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:16 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:13 pm Per the WSJ, the No Labels organization says that it is abandoning its effort to field a "unity ticket" for the 2024 presidential campaign.
Praise Jesus.

I wonder whether it was due to a lack of interest from potential candidates, but that doesn't really matter in the end.
We'll see whether they throw in with RFK Jr. now...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:11 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am A lot of people feel the pain of inflation, including minorities.
Yes, but the GOP is suggesting what's happening is somehow Biden's fault when instead a large portion of it is greedflation, created by corporations. COVID tested what people would put up with (financially) and now that a new limit has been experienced, magically corporations have moved into that space to carve out even more money. But as long as the GOP can somehow blame the Democrats and Joe Biden for the weekly grocery bill, that's all that matters.
Get ready for Trump's fixation on the trade deficit to cause a shit-ton of inflation...
“Currency revaluation is likely to be a priority for some members of a potential second Trump administration, mainly because of the viewpoint that [an overvalued dollar] contributes to the trade deficit,” said one former Trump administration official, adding that Lighthizer and his team are the primary advocates for the approach.

But weakening the dollar could have other far-reaching consequences, from sending consumer prices for imported products soaring, to inviting retaliation from other countries and threatening the dollar’s role as world reserve currency, which would undermine U.S. sanctions on adversaries like Iran and Russia.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GOP starting to worry about RFK Jr now too.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/2 ... r-00153763
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think RFK Jr ultimately poses a bigger threat to Trump than Biden. Trump has no margin for error, particularly among independents. And he's been consistently losing support among independents in recent weeks. Any candidate taking even more I's out of his column can't be a good thing for him.