Final Fantasy VII - now on Rebirth (2nd game of Remake trilogy)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

raydude

Re: Final Fantasy VII - now on Rebirth (2nd game of Remake trilogy)

Post by raydude »

I finally installed FF7: Remake Integrade on my PC and am going through the game again. Played the FF7 remake when it first came out on my PS4, which is now dead. Given my Steam backlog and playing through Remake Integrade, I can wait till Rebirth comes out on PC.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started Rebirth up this morning. Got about 2 hours in. So far the game lives up to the hype. My first impression is that the graphics are really good, it's actually kind of hard to believe this isn't an Unreal 5 engine game. If it really is 4 then it's the best version of 4 I've ever seen. As for the game itself, so far the gameplay is exactly like Remake. It is really cool though playing FF7 as a fully fleshed out 3d game, especially now that this one promises to open up much more than Remake.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Put in about 15 hours over the weekend. Completed the first zone at 100%, and am about halfway through the second. I'm absolutely loving it...huge shocker there, I know. :)

That said, it did take me about 8 hours before the combat started to click. Even now, I still feel like I'm button mashing more often than I'd like, although I'm starting to finally get comfortable with how the synergy works between the characters. I've mostly been using Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa, which has worked well. My biggest combat issue is that, for the life of me, I simply cannot figure out the block and dodge timing.

It's exactly what I was hoping for with this game, building on the first game's foundation and adding a huge open world to explore. They seem to have struck a good balance with lots of things to do without the map feeling cluttered and overwhelming (looking at you, AC series). There's a ton of minigames, but so far they've all been fun and add a little bit of variety without overstaying their welcome. Only one I haven't liked is that one of the MacGuffins in the second zone is tied to the Ft. Condor minigame. I hate tower defense with the fury of a thousand suns, so I've been putting that one off until I absolutely have to.

I'd say at least 2/3 of my time has been spent doing random "stuff" (side quests and different types of POI's on the map) in the open world and about 1/3 on the main story missions. My only minor gripe with the structure is that I end up spending hours and hours doing random stuff and kinda forget about where I am in the story. Thankfully, it does a great job of pulling your right back in whenever you're ready. and does a truly excellent job so far in keeping the spirit of the original while expanding on some of the key storylines. The relationship between Cloud and Tifa has been particularly interesting, adding so much more depth and emotion than the blue text boxes in the original could convey. No complaints at all in that department.

So far, it feels very worthy of the extremely high praise it has received. It's beautiful, the combat is fun, the music is wonderful, the story and characters (both writing and voice acting) are fantastic, and the new open world is a blast to run around in.

No complaints here. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm right there with Skinnypuppy on the open world parts. I didn't think I would enjoy the open world aspects as much as I do in this game. They managed to put just the right mix of variety and content into each zone while at the same time they don't overwhelm you like Ubisoft does. Each area is manageable and so I don't mind stepping away form the story for an hour or so to get 100% completion on the open world parts.

I'm also about 15 hours in and this is easily my favorite Final Fantasy game in a long time. It's better than FF7 remake, and much better than FF15 and 16. It's like they learned from those last two open world FF games and applied the lessons to Rebirth.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished the Fort Condor missions in the second zone and overall that mini game isn't good. I actually enjoy tower defense games but this one is half baked and the enemies spawn way too quick. Also, the inclusion of a time limit really sucks, there were several attempts lost simply because I ran out of time.

But here are some tips to beating Fort Condor.

#1 You can tell which enemies will spawn next and in what lane by looking at the bars on the top right of the screen.

#2 always spawn an improved shield soldier first in the lane where the enemy will spawn 2 enemies. Then spawn a sword soldier in that same lane, then another sword soldier in the opposite lane. Then a mage soldier in the same lane with the shield guy. This opening play wins most games if you are quick on the spawning and placement.

#3 Make sure to watch the spawning gauge for your heroes and always spawn them as close to a bunch of bad guys as you can, since they do a large AOE attack when they spawn.

#4 I usually had Tifa and Cloud as my heroes as I tend to spawn the sword and shield soldiers much more than the others and therefore their gauges fill up quicker.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:50 am I finished the Fort Condor missions in the second zone and overall that mini game isn't good. I actually enjoy tower defense games but this one is half baked and the enemies spawn way too quick. Also, the inclusion of a time limit really sucks, there were several attempts lost simply because I ran out of time.

But here are some tips to beating Fort Condor.

#1 You can tell which enemies will spawn next and in what lane by looking at the bars on the top right of the screen.

#2 always spawn an improved shield soldier first in the lane where the enemy will spawn 2 enemies. Then spawn a sword soldier in that same lane, then another sword soldier in the opposite lane. Then a mage soldier in the same lane with the shield guy. This opening play wins most games if you are quick on the spawning and placement.

#3 Make sure to watch the spawning gauge for your heroes and always spawn them as close to a bunch of bad guys as you can, since they do a large AOE attack when they spawn.

#4 I usually had Tifa and Cloud as my heroes as I tend to spawn the sword and shield soldiers much more than the others and therefore their gauges fill up quicker.
Thanks for these tips. I barely beat the second round with 2 seconds left on the clock, so I assume I'm going to fail miserably at the next harder levels.

I absolutely hate that mini-game, and I'm apparently not the only one. Fuck Fort Condor. :lol:

I finished the Junon stuff last night, loved the mini-game with the drill team parade. SO much better than the original. I'm finding it interesting that (general story thoughts up through Junon):
Spoiler:
There are very few significant changes to the story from the original. Given the reveal of the purpose of the Whispers in the first game, I thought that they would play a much more significant role in this game, but they haven't even been seen yet. And the story has been almost exactly the same so far.

The only major change is Yuffie trying to assassinate Rufus in Junon. In the original, she was a party member at that point. I suppose that could have some major implications later, but the outcome was basically the same so I'm not sure.

Also, they leave for Costa del Sol on a military ship in the original, but are on a luxury cruise ship in Rebirth. Minor detail, but I found it kinda funny.
Still loving the game, and I actually kinda dig how it continues to mess with my expectations.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm about 30 hours in (working through Corel Prison now) and have cooled on this game a bit. Part of it is due to the game itself (dear god...do we really need another mini-game here?) but most of it is simply the nature of open-world games. It's very, very seldom that one keeps my interest past 20 hours, and the ones that do are because they have really interesting stories built into the open world structure (Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima are both great examples of this). When the open world consists of simply chasing map markers, I almost always get bored. As much as I love the FF VII world, this game is no exception.

The story bits are excellent and I really look forward to all of the main quests. The side quests and open world are becoming increasingly "meh" the longer I play, and are honestly just starting to feel like padding. I'm going to try and finish up the story at least, but I'm not nearly as interested in exploring the world as I originally was.

The combat is still fun, it still looks incredible, the music is wonderful, and when it digs into the story the game is truly special. Everything surrounding that though is somewhat...lacking.

Also, I tinkered with the Queen's Blood card game for a bit early on, but didn't feel like dedicating much time to learning the intricacies or building new decks. That's not interesting to me, but I'm glad it's there for folks who like that sort of thing. Which is why it became extremely frustrating to have multiple points where it is required to win multiple Queen's Blood matches in order to progress the story. I've ignored it for 20 hours and you're going to make it a roadblock now? C'mon, man.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:49 pm I'm about 30 hours in (working through Corel Prison now) and have cooled on this game a bit. Part of it is due to the game itself (dear god...do we really need another mini-game here?) but most of it is simply the nature of open-world games. It's very, very seldom that one keeps my interest past 20 hours, and the ones that do are because they have really interesting stories built into the open world structure (Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima are both great examples of this). When the open world consists of simply chasing map markers, I almost always get bored. As much as I love the FF VII world, this game is no exception.

The story bits are excellent and I really look forward to all of the main quests. The side quests and open world are becoming increasingly "meh" the longer I play, and are honestly just starting to feel like padding. I'm going to try and finish up the story at least, but I'm not nearly as interested in exploring the world as I originally was.

The combat is still fun, it still looks incredible, the music is wonderful, and when it digs into the story the game is truly special. Everything surrounding that though is somewhat...lacking.

Also, I tinkered with the Queen's Blood card game for a bit early on, but didn't feel like dedicating much time to learning the intricacies or building new decks. That's not interesting to me, but I'm glad it's there for folks who like that sort of thing. Which is why it became extremely frustrating to have multiple points where it is required to win multiple Queen's Blood matches in order to progress the story. I've ignored it for 20 hours and you're going to make it a roadblock now? C'mon, man.
Are the mini games compulsory then or can you just ignore tham?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been waffling back and forth on whether to buy FF VII or Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth as I can't afford both, but that may have pushed me towards Like a Dragon. Although I tend to be super patient with open world, so it may not bother me as much. I HATE in-game card/dice games though. I hated Gwent, I hated that game in Horizons: Zero Dawn sequel, I hated the dice game in AC: Valhalla. I don't need to play a game inside my game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Reemul wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:33 pm Are the mini games compulsory then or can you just ignore tham?
Some of them are optional, but most are baked into the core gameplay. There's a mini-game for everything in this game.
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm I've been waffling back and forth on whether to buy FF VII or Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth as I can't afford both, but that may have pushed me towards Like a Dragon. Although I tend to be super patient with open world, so it may not bother me as much.
In all fairness, I bounced off the original Like A Dragon because so much of it felt like busywork to me and the setting did nothing for me either. Interestingly, both games gave a pretty similar sense of absurd humor.

As with the first FF VII Remake, I think nostalgia goes a long way with this one. If I wasn't so invested in the story and waiting to see all the cool upcoming locales, I think there's a good chance I would have wandered off by now.
I HATE in-game card/dice games though. I hated Gwent, I hated that game in Horizons: Zero Dawn sequel, I hated the dice game in AC: Valhalla. I don't need to play a game inside my game.
Same. I've never given them more than a cursory glance in any RPG.

After getting a little further tonight, I should clarify that there's only ONE card battle that's required for progress, and it's really, really easy (one of the others I thought was required turned out to be optional, as there were other ways to complete that quest). So it's not the barrier I thought it was, even though I spent an inordinate amount of time bashing my head against it.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:31 pm
Reemul wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:33 pm Are the mini games compulsory then or can you just ignore tham?
Some of them are optional, but most are baked into the core gameplay. There's a mini-game for everything in this game.
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm I've been waffling back and forth on whether to buy FF VII or Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth as I can't afford both, but that may have pushed me towards Like a Dragon. Although I tend to be super patient with open world, so it may not bother me as much.
In all fairness, I bounced off the original Like A Dragon because so much of it felt like busywork to me and the setting did nothing for me either. Interestingly, both games gave a pretty similar sense of absurd humor.

As with the first FF VII Remake, I think nostalgia goes a long way with this one. If I wasn't so invested in the story and waiting to see all the cool upcoming locales, I think there's a good chance I would have wandered off by now.
I HATE in-game card/dice games though. I hated Gwent, I hated that game in Horizons: Zero Dawn sequel, I hated the dice game in AC: Valhalla. I don't need to play a game inside my game.
Same. I've never given them more than a cursory glance in any RPG.

After getting a little further tonight, I should clarify that there's only ONE card battle that's required for progress, and it's really, really easy (one of the others I thought was required turned out to be optional, as there were other ways to complete that quest). So it's not the barrier I thought it was, even though I spent an inordinate amount of time bashing my head against it.
I'm a little past the jail sequence and unless I missed something there isn't a single time where the card game is mandatory. If you follow any of my past posts at all then you know I hate mini card games with the passion of a 1000 suns. I have gone off on Gwent, that dumb ass game in Valhalla and the card game in the Legend of Heroes series many times. BUT, for some reason I don't mind the card game in FF7 Rebirth. No idea why, but I'm actually good at it and I find the strategy element to be interesting.

With that said I don't think there is a single section where the card game is mandatory to progress the story in Rebirth. On the cruise it tells you that you can forfeit the tourney and advance the story. At the saucer the game is entirely optional and not even linked to story progression and at the jail there are 6 different side activities you can do to progress and you only need to complete 3. So even at the jail you can skip the card battle part if you want to.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:20 am With that said I don't think there is a single section where the card game is mandatory to progress the story in Rebirth. On the cruise it tells you that you can forfeit the tourney and advance the story. At the saucer the game is entirely optional and not even linked to story progression and at the jail there are 6 different side activities you can do to progress and you only need to complete 3. So even at the jail you can skip the card battle part if you want to.
I thought you had to do at least the first card battle on the cruise ship (against the steampunk robot) in order to advance. I thought you couldn't forfeit until you had at least tried it, but I may be misremembering. I also realized after my initial post about it that the card battles in the prison were actually optional, and you could complete that quest through alternate objectives. That was my mistake.

So please ignore my criticism about the card game...it's completely optional. :)

I just finished the Barrett/Dyne bit, which was incredibly well done and very powerful. They did a fantastic job telling that story. It's those story-driven moments where this game really shines.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:39 am
Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:20 am With that said I don't think there is a single section where the card game is mandatory to progress the story in Rebirth. On the cruise it tells you that you can forfeit the tourney and advance the story. At the saucer the game is entirely optional and not even linked to story progression and at the jail there are 6 different side activities you can do to progress and you only need to complete 3. So even at the jail you can skip the card battle part if you want to.
I thought you had to do at least the first card battle on the cruise ship (against the steampunk robot) in order to advance. I thought you couldn't forfeit until you had at least tried it, but I may be misremembering. I also realized after my initial post about it that the card battles in the prison were actually optional, and you could complete that quest through alternate objectives. That was my mistake.

So please ignore my criticism about the card game...it's completely optional. :)

I just finished the Barrett/Dyne bit, which was incredibly well done and very powerful. They did a fantastic job telling that story. It's those story-driven moments where this game really shines.
I agree on both the Barrett/Dyne part being really well done and the fact that this game has a little too many mini games. While most of them are optional they do bog the game down a bit from the Cruise and Costa Del Sol all the way through the Jail sequence. With that said the Barrett Sequence hits you in the face and reminds you why this game is so good.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Given that, I'm flipping back then to maybe picking up FFVII instead. I bet by the time I finish it, Infinite Wealth will likely be discounted. I'm not sure the reverse would be true.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am Given that, I'm flipping back then to maybe picking up FFVII instead. I bet by the time I finish it, Infinite Wealth will likely be discounted. I'm not sure the reverse would be true.
I'm betting Infinite Wealth will be on Gamepass or PS+ for free way before Rebirth will be (As in within the next 3 months). I've played the last 3 Yakuza games for free because of that.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:24 am they do bog the game down a bit from the Cruise and Costa Del Sol all the way through the Jail sequence.
I disliked almost all of the Costa del Sol portion. Which wasn't surprising, as I didn't like that part in the original either.

The only redeeming factor for me was how Yuffie helped in the final boss battle. :lol:
Spoiler:
JOHNNY CLONES!!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished this afternoon. 56 hours, level 49.

I think I would have to judge this game in two parts. The main story was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Game gets a solid "A" grade for that aspect. Graphics, music, story, voice work, and capturing the feel of the original game were absolutely top notch. I was a little surprised just how closely it all stuck to the original storyline (until the end, anyways), but they did do some really cool things in expanding the existing lore.

The open world map marker chasing I found to be very boring after a while. I got 100% in the first zone, got all but two markers in the second zone (the last two Fort Condor battles), and then only did about 50% of the map markers for the other three zones. They added nothing to story and were simply finding POIs for the sake of finding POIs. Others may enjoy that (and I'm sure I could have added another 30 hours onto my playtime trying to find everything), but it isn't my thing at all. A C grade for that part.

On the plus side:
1. Seeing those silly square-armed polygon characters from 25 years ago really come to life with personalities and flaws is still awesome. Only problem was that it made the multiple gut punch moments that I knew were coming hurt worse.
2. I loved watching Tifa and Aerith's friendship develop. That was hinted at in the original, but you really felt it here.
3. Cosmo Canyon and The Gold Saucer were both very cool.
4. While most of them got annoying, I did really like the piano mini-game.
5. I really liked how they set up the purpose of the Black Materia with the Gi. It was just a macguffin in the original game, and they gave it a purpose this time around.
6. Played on Easy and combat remained fun from start to finish. Took a bit to get the hang of, but you always felt really powerful and each character played very differently.

Only a few minor complaints:
1. While Cid or Vincent were there, neither was a playable characters this time around (I assume they will be in the third game). They also skipped both of their stories entirely (no Rocket Town? No Lucrecia?), although I suppose those could be shoehorned into the third game as well.
2. There really needs to be the ability to swap Materia en masse between characters. Having to manually switch them all one by one when characters left the party got really annoying.
3. Unfortunately, they decided to send the ending spiraling straight down into the deep dark recesses of anime nonsense land. I don't really know WTF actually happened.
4. I didn't like the Temple of the Ancients in the first game, and I liked it even less in this one. I very rarely enjoy anything with perspective-shifting puzzles.
5. Red XIII's voice changing thing was just weird and seemed to serve no purpose at all.
6. All of the side quests were just lame busy work and added nothing to the story. Many were just laughably bad (luring the rogue chickens with a feed can on a string was the worst offender here).
7. Too damn many mini-games.

So overall, I'd probably rate FF VII Rebirth as a B+. Maybe a little higher if you really enjoy open world games, and maybe a little lower if you have no nostalgia for the original game.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I downed the final boss this morning. I have to disagree with Skinny's assessment of the open world events. Unlike him I went through each zone and completed them 100%. Each different activity has it's own payoff if you complete them. The Protorelic activities in particular all have their own side story that help to flesh out various character's backgrounds. Each activity is it's own deal, some give you better items, crafting and gear, some explore side stories, etc. I feel like you would be missing a lot if you don't take the time to 100% each area.

I played the game on the normal difficulty setting, which I feel struck the right balance. Sometimes it was easy but other times it was challenging and I really had to strategize. If my party got wiped it was usually because I was using the wrong party makeup and strategy.

My biggest gripe about the game is that the end level and sequence is overly long. I know this has become a tradition in the final fantasy universe, but It really did feel like they could have trimmed some of the final dungeon. Overall the game clocked in at just under 90 hours for me. But I did not complete all of the new side quests that open up just prior to the final dungeon.

Over all I would give this game a solid 90%. I definitely liked it more than FF15 and 16.
FTE