Pocket City 2 - This ain't yer mama's Pocket City

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Pocket City 2 - This ain't yer mama's Pocket City

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is a mobile only game for now, so in case you were hoping for Steam, only the original game is found there (which is great fun as well IMO).

REALLY nicely done city builder that excels on a tablet. It's right there between casual and "something more" because there are just a surprising number of complex systems to consider here, and lots of side elements that make this a much deeper game than the original.

Apparently the dev has been MIA for a while, as no recent updates, but as far as I can tell, the polish is already amazing.

$4.99 currently, but this has been out for almost a year I think, so you might could find/wait for a sale at this point.

Highly recommend...but plan to lose lots of hours to this - it's pretty damn addictive.

Enlarge Image

One big thing different this time is that they added a first person view (you as the mayor), which I could initially have done without, but now I think it's pretty cool that I have unlocked some things that I won't spoil. Movement on a tablet or phone in FPS is as usual (for me at least), janky, but acceptable. Seasons also have been added, with actual differences in gameplay vs purely cosmetic - snow needs snowplows or your traffic slows way down, etc. A pretty beefy tech tree has also been added (or if the first one had one, it was definitely not this advanced). Also, playing with a buddy is possible if you're into that.

Enlarge Image

If you played the previous one, this one is MUCH bigger, with multiple, interconnected cities on the same map possible. Resources management is now a very big part of the game, as well as relations with different "factions" of your city (teachers, workers, engineers, police, etc).

Not sure how this would play on a phone, but it plays great on a tablet, and seems designed for that honestly.

TouchArcade review:
https://toucharcade.com/2023/04/18/pock ... y-builder/

Edit: TA above says it plays fine on a phone, though, surely it plays better on a tablet just given the size and the genre:
"I mentioned how good it feels to control, but it really deserves a special mention. You can play Pocket City 2 in portrait or landscape mode regardless of your device. I’ve been enjoying playing it in landscape mode on my iPad Pro and using portrait mode for one-handed play on iPhone. The interface feels perfect regardless of device, and auto-rotate or fixed orientation options are also available depending on your preference."
AWS260

Re: Pocket City 2 - This ain't yer mama's Pocket City

Post by AWS260 »

Oh, interesting. I really liked the first Pocket City.
Daehawk

Re: Pocket City 2 - This ain't yer mama's Pocket City

Post by Daehawk »

I bought this for my Samsung tablet and bedtime playings. Was $5 . This is the type game I wished I had as a kid under the covers at night on a little screen to sim the night away in the dark.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"