Star Wars: Outlaws (Ubisoft)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Star Wars: Outlaws (Ubisoft)

Post by Max Peck »

There's not a lot of information out just yet, but there is an Ubisoft event tomorrow.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Re: Star Wars: Outlaws (Ubisoft)

Post by Rumpy »

Me want! Me want nowwwww! That looks so awesome! My hope is that you'll be able to seemlessly go from ground to space and have some space combat. Also hope they have some multiplayer in some form in it where it makes sense.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

That was an impressive trailer, imo. Long way to go until release though.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

*dusts off Ubisoft launcher*
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There should be more information during tomorrow's Ubisoft Forward event.
Ubisoft Forward will broadcast live on the official Ubisoft YouTube and Twitch channels on June 12, 2023.

We’re kicking things off with a pre-show beginning at 9:45 AM PDT / 6:45 PM CEST, with the main event kicking off at 10:00 AM PDT / 7:00 PM CEST. And we’re not stopping there—stick around after the show for even more surprises.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:08 pm Me want! Me want nowwwww! That looks so awesome! My hope is that you'll be able to seemlessly go from ground to space and have some space combat. Also hope they have some multiplayer in some form in it where it makes sense.
No. No multiplayer.
How would that work?? Everyone shares the backstory we just watched?

From that framing, it looks very much like a single-player story to me.

I also -really- hope that it is.

‘Other people’ ruin everything.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:27 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:08 pm Me want! Me want nowwwww! That looks so awesome! My hope is that you'll be able to seemlessly go from ground to space and have some space combat. Also hope they have some multiplayer in some form in it where it makes sense.
No. No multiplayer.

Because I think that there are probably parts that could work as an entirely optional multiplayer component while still generally a single player game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In classic cinematic trailer fashion, it doesn't really tell us anything about the actual gameplay. Since this is being made by Massive Entertainment, I expect it to look a lot like an Ubisoft software-as-a-service open-world ARPG, but there's a good chance they'll surprise me.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ubisoft's Star Wars Outlaws Open-World Game Debuts At Xbox Showcase
Today at the Xbox Showcase, Ubisoft unveiled the debut cinematic trailer for Ubisoft Massive's Star Wars Outlaws, which Ubisoft is billing as the "first-ever open-world Star Wars game."

The trailer shows a young female outlaw named Kay Vess playing a card game at a saloon before being chased out by some goons, while a voiceover mentioned The Syndicate, which played a major part in the Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows. The game will follow Vess and her partner Nyx as they attempt a heist against a massive crime syndicate in The Outer Rim.

After the trailed debuted, Ubisoft confirmed that the first gameplay walkthrough for Star Wars Outlaws will be part of the company's Ubisoft Forward presentation on June 12.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I remain unsurprised, but I do like what they showed. There is no sign of multiplayer, and I'd expect them to mention it if it existed.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So... Star Cry?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The protagonist even kind of reminds of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:17 pm The protagonist even kind of reminds of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Man Camera TV.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I didn't really get a Far Cry vibe from what they showed, but they only showed a slice from a narrative-framed mission. We didn't see anything related to actual open-world gameplay mechanics. However, it's difficult to see how things like base capture and territorial control (Far Cry elements that do seem to be central to the Avatar game) would fit in this game. Kay Vess is a loner underdog that needs to keep one step ahead of the syndicates and the Empire. She's not going to go all Boba Fett and carve out her own criminal empire on some planet on the outer rim.

Or is she... :coffee:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was more of a joke reference to the other thread. But to be fair, between The Division, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, and the last couple of Ghost Recons, Ubi certainly does have a core mechanic that they like to lean on (excessively.)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I don't think it's controversial to say that there has been a convergence of design elements across Ubisoft's stable of open world games. I just haven't seen enough about this one to have an opinion on how heavily it leans into being a "Ubisoft open world game" for now. I like what they showed us, but there's a lot that they haven't shown yet.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:27 pm
No. No multiplayer.

This. 1000X this!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It was a stray thought. Yeah. I'm all for single-player games, and in fact I hardly ever play multiplayer games, so not sure where that thought came from. :o I think I got inspired by the possibilities shown in the trailer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I really wish I could create my own character with their own motivations in an open world game. This seems a bit more story driven than I would want.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, or at least customize it. But otherwise, I just really like the presentation they're going for. Looks like there will likely be lots of variety in the types of missions.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I was really hoping for a world where I could create and be my own character, where I could play as a smuggler, or bounty Hunter, ex-Imperial soldier, or Rebel spy, etc. I also really prefer to choose the sex of my character, as I always play a male character, unless it is an established character like Lara Croft. My Fallout characters were male as was my Shepard in Mass Effect. So I am a bit disappointed at the lack of character customization in a game that really screams for it, IMO. There are so many roles ripe for the playing in SW and the fact that this game locks us into one character is disappointing.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New video drop:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

30 August (assuming no delays)? I guess I know what I'm doing in September then.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still looks very interesting. Hope they can hold it all together and get it out. Bout time for a Star Wars game like this. A little bit dirty a little bit shady a view of the rest of the universe instead of heroes and lightsabers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:40 pm It was more of a joke reference to the other thread. But to be fair, between The Division, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, and the last couple of Ghost Recons, Ubi certainly does have a core mechanic that they like to lean on (excessively.)
Okay, now this is classic Ubisoft... :lol:

Enlarge Image

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes. Yes it is.

We'll know just how Ubisoft it is once we find out how many currencies it has, and how often it'll dangle something in front of you then tell you that you need to spend more to use it. Oh, and once we see how many convoluted leveling/unlocking mechanics it has (although you can simplify it all with premium currencies!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the record, I still enjoy some Ubisoft games, and I may enjoy this one. Ubi just has a style (including monetization practices) that they rarely stray too far from - and it's a style that's begun to grate on me.