Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by Daehawk »

O, the weather outside is...
Cold. Its dropped 20 degrees overnight.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Read a story a couple days ago about some of the 300k who left FL last year. Net immigration is still robust, but a good fraction of those people are rethinking their decisions and some old-timers are getting fed up due to rapidly rising costs (esp. for housing and insurance, if you can get it), increasingly devastating weather (on topic!), and political polarization. The story said that car insurance is 50% higher than the national average. A friend who lives there just switched from GEICO, which raised her rate for an old RAV-4 to $800 per six months. She was preening because she bounced to Progressive for $600. I pay GEICO $325 every six months for full coverage on two cars. Her claims record is spotless, and mine isn't.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yes, house insurance has become really insane because of the probability of getting hurricane damage has increased so much in the state. Luckily I have the same house insurer since we built the house 40 years ago and they've been very nice about the rates which have not increased very much. We have had to have replaced the roof a couple of times but it's been reasonable. The last time we did it we got a 30-year roof so hopefully it will not be an issue for quite a while.

Car insurance of course has gone up like everything in Florida and my wife actually went and negotiated with them to fiddle to get a little bit lower rates but I don't think that's going to last for long.

Will be holding on to our house insurance for as long as we can with this carrier as we have replacement value insurance, which means anything we lose gets replaced at what it would cost now to buy a new one of them not the original price prorated.

With this new hurricane projection report from Colorado State university, I expect we will be seeing some news stories in the next few days about the possibility of more home insurers either coming into the state or leaving the state.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We had it hail on the house twice today. It was 80 degrees here yesterday and 57 degrees today.

Many areas of California are dealing with skyrocketing home insurance rates because of the threat of wildfires. But many rural homeowners with acreage have been having that problem for years.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A late-season Nor'easter made yesterday very wet and windy and is going to keep bitch-slapping us for a couple more days. They got snow in the hinterlands and I even saw traces of that here. Hoping spring will start when it moves out. It was a mild winter but I'm looking forward to griping about being hot.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rainy turns to snowy this morning. I guess I'm not likely going outside to get steps in again. Not sure when I got so spoiled. I guess when I started conceding that I could get my steps in essentially skankin' in my basement. Whoda' thunk my late teens would come back in my early 50s in such a pathetic way? My 18 year old self would point and laugh and tell a friend.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Been away in catskill ny all week. Brought supplies to grill outside so of course it rained all week except yesterday when rain turned to snow.
Then woke this morning with multiple texts asking if we were ok. Turns out NJ got hit with a 4.8 earthquake this morning.
Thankfully our house and pup are fine. Looks like our town didn't get hit too bad.
My moms house about 8 mikes away shook as did my sons girlfriends house and job. Coincidentally she lives in upstate NY about 45 minutes west of where we were.
Heading home now though.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got cold last night. Put on an extra blanket. That did the trick.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Got home then around 6pm or so got hit with an aftetshock that woke me up. Nothing damaged but our pupper freaked out a bit for a minute then went back to not caring pretty quickly.
Apparently thete is a 1% chance of getting 2 more over 5 in the next week and a much higher chance of 10 or so level 3 hits.
Gonna be a fun week.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:34 pm Got home then around 6pm or so got hit with an aftetshock that woke me up. Nothing damaged but our pupper freaked out a bit for a minute then went back to not caring pretty quickly.
Apparently thete is a 1% chance of getting 2 more over 5 in the next week and a much higher chance of 10 or so level 3 hits.
Gonna be a fun week.
Prepare yourself: things could wiggle.

Also, I'm fine with earthquakes being weather. :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:16 am Also, I'm fine with earthquakes being weather. :)
+1 :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

aka, the Annoying Things Nature Does thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Footage of the tornado that blew through St. John's county earlier this afternoon, near World Golf Village.

Early estimations based off radar values suggest this is an EF-2 tornado with max winds of 110 mph. Storm survey expected tomorrow.