[TV] Star Trek: Discovery - The Final Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[TV] Star Trek: Discovery - The Final Season

Post by hepcat »

So the first two episodes of the final season of Discovery are up as of last week. And I will admit, I didn't really like them that much.

I think my problem with the show is that it felt like a slide back to the original issues folks had with the new series. It was too Abrams. By that, I mean it felt too much like an action film.
Spoiler:
I did like the final reveal that they're exploring the Progenitors. But I didn't need it to be set in a remake of National Treasure.

And I thought they tried TOO hard to make Captain Rayner unlikeable when they introduced him. I get it, he's this show's Liam Shaw. But they didn't spend multiple episodes peeling back the layers of the onion of his character like they did with Shaw. Something that resulted in me thinking that character deserved his own damn show by the end. Still, I like the actor playing Rayner, and I like his swagger. It's very much in the school of Kirk.
And I like that he's a Kellerun. A traitorous race in DS9, they either reformed as a group, or there are some members of that race that broke free of the government that you couldn't trust and made it over to Starfleet. They also learned over the course of time that top knots are not a becoming look for men.
In any case, I'll watch the show and hope it tones down the big budget action in favor of the more intimate moments that the last couple of seasons used to capture the feel of good Star Trek.

And damnit, they MENTIONED Jett Reno, but they didn't HAVE Jett Reno. This is something that needs to be addressed immediately.

edit: started a new thread as I took to heart the complaints that the Star Trek thread on new shows was getting cumbersome.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Re: [TV] Star Trek: Discovery - The Final Season

Post by Daehawk »

Never watched it though do know a couple eps. I think with the final few they were heading the right direction. I hated what they were in the start. I did love they introduced a totally wild alien species in the 10c and that there were a class 2 species.

Me Im waiting for season 3 of Strange New Worlds and Ill be waiting until next year I think.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm Never watched it
I hated what they were in the start.
Does not compute. :wink:
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I re-upped with Paramount+ to get caught up on Picard and Lower Decks, only to coincide with the new Discovery season. Guess I'll stay enlisted until it's over. There are some clever aspects of Discovery that I like, such as the mycellium drive, but action-adventure isn't one of them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oddly enough, the spore drive was something I found annoying. It just felt too much like the writers trying to stuff magic into a science fiction show. It was the midichlorians of Star Trek.

And I'm fine with SOME action adventure. I mean, Star Trek has always had that. But they countered it with utopian idealism and humanity. I think that balance was missing in the first few episodes of this last season.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:41 pm I re-upped with Paramount+ to get caught up on Picard and Lower Decks, only to coincide with the new Discovery season. Guess I'll stay enlisted until it's over. There are some clever aspects of Discovery that I like, such as the mycellium drive, but action-adventure isn't one of them.
Is lower decks worth a watch or should I skip it for Prodigy?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:48 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:41 pm I re-upped with Paramount+ to get caught up on Picard and Lower Decks, only to coincide with the new Discovery season. Guess I'll stay enlisted until it's over. There are some clever aspects of Discovery that I like, such as the mycellium drive, but action-adventure isn't one of them.
Lower Decks is definitely worth it - very good.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:50 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:48 pm
Lower Decks is definitely worth it - very good.
The first season was hit-or-miss, but it improved a lot in S2.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hated Lower Decks when it debuted. But I think it was Siljanus who kept telling me I was wrong. When I finally watched it, I discovered he was right. It's so chock full of fan service it's ridiculous. But even more important, it obviously loves Star Trek. I now consider LD to be one of the best Star Trek shows.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:57 pm I hated Lower Decks when it debuted. But I think it was Siljanus who kept telling me I was wrong. When I finally watched it, I discovered he was right. It's so chock full of fan service it's ridiculous. But even more important, it obviously loves Star Trek. I now consider LD to be one of the best Star Trek shows.
:wub:

I don’t think it’s spoiling anything to say that I agree with you that Shaw deserved his own show.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:26 am I think my problem with the show is that it felt like a slide back to the original issues folks had with the new series. It was too Abrams. By that, I mean it felt too much like an action film.
I've only seen the first episode so far, but yes I found it to be overwhelmingly too action-oriented and CGI-focused.

At one point (when the Captain and Booker landed on the planet IIRC) my wife commented that she thought it looked more like a Star Wars show than Trek.
Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrdina wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:21 am At one point (when the Captain and Booker landed on the planet IIRC) my wife commented that she thought it looked more like a Star Wars show than Trek.
Yup. That scene was wholly unnecessary and excessive.

Now, they did KIND of redeem themselves with Saru's story, but then it became National Treasure 3 again.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s amazing that Tig Notaro can almost single-handedly save an episode with just one line.
Spoiler:
The last time I did this, they gave me chips. <stares back at Reyner>
He won. Period.