Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LordMortis »

I think the point is if you are present at work for 5 hours and get a 30 minute break then you are only working for 4 hours 30 minutes. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. We never had such rules when I was a minor and I was rarely working.... Rarely....
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm HB156
Present law requires an employer to provide at least one 30-minute meal period for minors who work for a 5-hour work period. Present law does not require an employer to provide a 30-minute meal period in instances when the work period exceeds 5 hours by 10 minutes or less
Seems reasonable to me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Punisher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm
Present law requires an employer to provide at least one 30-minute meal period for minors who work for a 5-hour work period. Present law does not require an employer to provide a 30-minute meal period in instances when the work period exceeds 5 hours by 10 minutes or less
So you get a break at 5 hours but not 5 hours and 10 minutes?
Nah, if I'm reading the full text correctly, that just means that the law that they got rid of allowed the employer to steal up to 10 minutes of the 30 minute break without being in violation of the law.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 pm
Punisher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm
So you get a break at 5 hours but not 5 hours and 10 minutes?
Nah, if I'm reading the full text correctly, that just means that the law that they got rid of allowed the employer to steal up to 10 minutes of the 30 minute break without being in violation of the law.
I'm not sure I understand you.

The way I see it, someone can work 5 hours and 10 minutes without being required to have a break. If they work 5 hours and 11 minutes or more, they were required to get a 30 minute break. Where I work, this would cover the situation where you are required to be at work 10 minutes before the start of your shift so there can be an orderly transition - you end up working and getting paid for 5 hours and 10 minutes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2011 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 23 — Labor and worker's compensation
RS 23:213 — Recreation or meal period

No minor shall be employed, permitted, or suffered to work for any five-hour period without one interval of at least thirty minutes within such period for meals. If the period of work before the interval exceeds five hours by ten minutes or less, that difference shall be considered de minimis and shall not be considered a violation of this Section. Such interval shall not be included as part of the working hours of the day. This interval shall be thirty minutes. If the length of the meal break is at least twenty minutes, the difference between the actual break time and the required thirty-minute break time shall be considered de minimis, and shall not be considered a violation of this Section. The break shall be documented, using the employer's normal timekeeping system. If a minor fails to clock in or out for a work period or meal break, and a time edit is necessary, the time edit shall be documented and acknowledged in writing by the minor and the manager who performs the time edit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Let us celebrate a small milestone:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/state-law-takes-us-step-closer-popular-vote/story?id=109437887 wrote:Maine signed on to the National Popular Vote compact
, bringing it to 209/270 needed.
The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact seeks to guarantee that the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia wins the presidency.

When there are enough states pledging their popular votes to meet the 270 Electoral College vote threshold, all the votes in those states will be added up to a national count that determines the winner of the election. The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact says that will give each vote equal weight regardless of where a voter lives.
The link has a good rundown, including its prospects if it ever should take effect. It's a Hail Mary play, but since a constitutional amendment will never abolish the EC as long as Republicans live and breathe (which they apparently intend to keep doing), it's the best hope we've got for ever democratically electing a president.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FTC bans noncompete agreements, making it easier for workers to quit. Here's what to know.
Federal regulators on Tuesday enacted a nationwide ban on new noncompete agreements, which keep millions of Americans — from minimum-wage earners to CEOs — from changing jobs within their industries.

The Federal Trade Commission on Tuesday afternoon voted 3-to-2 to approve the new rule, which will ban noncompetes for all workers when the regulations take effect in 120 days. For senior executives, existing noncompetes can remain in force. For all other employees, existing noncompetes are not enforceable.
Still, the rule is virtually certain to be challenged in court, with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in the past calling it "blatantly unlawful. The trade group, which advocates for U.S. corporations and businesses, did not respond to a request for comment.
Employers who use noncompetes argue that they are needed to protect trade secrets or other confidential information employees might learn in the course of their jobs. But corporations concerned about protecting their intellectual assets can use restraints such as confidentiality agreements and trade secret laws, and don't need to resort to noncompete agreements, the FTC staff determined.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chamber of Commerce is against it? It must be generally a good thing to do.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It’s been a paper tiger for at least as long as I’ve been working, almost impossible to enforce/win from everything I’ve read/heard.

I’ve always signed them, but ignored them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Overtime pay rule change: Millions more US workers to become eligible for extra pay

The current salary threshold for the overtime exemption is $35,568, meaning salaried workers who make less than that amount qualify for overtime pay, but those making more do not, according to Bloomberg Law.

The new rule will raise that threshold, expanding eligible for overtime pay to more people.

The threshold will increase to $43,888 on July 1. It will then rise again to $58,656 in January.

The change will benefit about 4 million workers, making them eligible for time-and-a-half wages when they work more than 40 hours a week for the first time, according to Bloomberg.

The rule will boost wages for many workers in low-wage but salaried occupations, according to the Post. Many of those who will benefit work in fields including hospitality, health care, finance, manufacturing and retail.

“This rule will restore the promise to workers that if you work more than 40 hours in a week, you should be paid for that time,” Acting Labor Secretary Julie Su said in a statement, according to USA Today. “So often, lower-paid salaried workers are doing the same job as their hourly counterparts but are spending more time away from their families for no additional pay. This is unacceptable.”
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm Overtime pay rule change: Millions more US workers to become eligible for extra pay

The current salary threshold for the overtime exemption is $35,568, meaning salaried workers who make less than that amount qualify for overtime pay, but those making more do not, according to Bloomberg Law.

The new rule will raise that threshold, expanding eligible for overtime pay to more people.

The threshold will increase to $43,888 on July 1. It will then rise again to $58,656 in January.

The change will benefit about 4 million workers, making them eligible for time-and-a-half wages when they work more than 40 hours a week for the first time, according to Bloomberg.

The rule will boost wages for many workers in low-wage but salaried occupations, according to the Post. Many of those who will benefit work in fields including hospitality, health care, finance, manufacturing and retail.

“This rule will restore the promise to workers that if you work more than 40 hours in a week, you should be paid for that time,” Acting Labor Secretary Julie Su said in a statement, according to USA Today. “So often, lower-paid salaried workers are doing the same job as their hourly counterparts but are spending more time away from their families for no additional pay. This is unacceptable.”
Sounds more like millions more Americans will be encouraged to lie on their timesheets by their employers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A.I. generated fake hate crimes.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
waitingtoconnect

Basically AI throw all voice recordings in doubt.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So wait, that phone call I got from em2 admitting Trump lost in 2020 and that he’s a doo doo head might be fake?
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kristi Noem is a sociopath with 'being a hunter/farmer' used as a cover excuse: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 235011230/
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:11 pm Kristi Noem is a sociopath with 'being a hunter/farmer' used as a cover excuse: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 235011230/
I couldn't believe this when I saw it earlier.

I guess the messaging is "I'm tough enough to drag my own poorly trained dog out to a gravel pit and straight-up murder it." That doesn't seem to like the... best... way to win the heart of the nation.

Of course, now Trump will have to prove his supremacy by beating a beagle to death with a golf club.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I don't buy the hunter/farmer excuse. My dad's hunted and farmed all his life. He's had to put down sick horses and goats. He's never put down a healthy dog, and the very idea of that I'm sure would be abhorrent to him.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

hitbyambulance wrote:Kristi Noem is a sociopath with 'being a hunter/farmer' used as a cover excuse: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 235011230/
What. The. Hell.

Get a trainer. Show patience. Find the dog a new home. Surrender it to a rescue.

Same for the goat, too. Good lord. I know I’m not from a farm or South Dakota, but killing either animal would be my last option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Holman

Post by Holman »

What's crazy is that she thought bragging about dog-killing would make her look tough.

"See! I *can* be Vice President. I killed my dog!"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm What's crazy is that she thought bragging about dog-killing would make her look tough.
There's a non-zero number of people that look at her more favorably now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm What's crazy is that she thought bragging about dog-killing would make her look tough.
I expect a measurable uptick in animal abuse in Red districts.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

She certainly won't get the same treatment Vick did. For some reason.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"See! I *can* be Vice President. I killed my dog!"
Trump hates dogs -- he was the first president in forever who didn't have a pet in the WH -- and dogs, being instinctive judges of character, don't like him, either. She's his perfect match.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hurt a dog, you’re a lousy human being. Period. Full stop.

Also, how the hell did I miss the story about this dumbass running a public service campaign against drugs using the tagline ”Meth. We’re on it!”? :lol:
He won. Period.
waitingtoconnect

YellowKing wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 pm Yeah I don't buy the hunter/farmer excuse. My dad's hunted and farmed all his life. He's had to put down sick horses and goats. He's never put down a healthy dog, and the very idea of that I'm sure would be abhorrent to him.
Absolutely - but this person seems totally unhinged - I’m not sure on how deep the barrel is in Dakota but surely it’s not that low.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 pm and dogs, being instinctive judges of character
So, Biden's dog biting over 20 Secret Service agents and White House Staff means...?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

…that Trump made peace with one dog and set him loose on his enemy.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:49 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:11 pm Kristi Noem is a sociopath with 'being a hunter/farmer' used as a cover excuse: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 235011230/
I couldn't believe this when I saw it earlier.

I guess the messaging is "I'm tough enough to drag my own poorly trained dog out to a gravel pit and straight-up murder it." That doesn't seem to like the... best... way to win the heart of the nation.

Of course, now Trump will have to prove his supremacy by beating a beagle to death with a golf club.
In NJ that would be a felony IIRC. Cant remember the specific title 4 code though.
Straight to jail but thats not gonna happen here.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 pm and dogs, being instinctive judges of character
So, Biden's dog biting over 20 Secret Service agents and White House Staff means...?
...that Biden should get a cat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm
Have you read the shit that the Secret Service has been getting into trouble over? I'm still with the dog on this one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm Also, how the hell did I miss the story about this dumbass running a public service campaign against drugs using the tagline ”Meth. We’re on it!”? :lol:
Dunno.

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm I, uh, I don't think that PR campaign is telling the message you want to deliver...
Gov. Kristi Noem has a message for South Dakota: "Meth. We're On It."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t join OO until 2021.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am I didn’t join OO until 2021.
Which was your big meth year, IIRC?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm hepcat.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 pm
I expect a measurable uptick in animal abuse in Red districts.
Hard red districts are full of people who won't get their dogs fixed ("might wanna breed 'em someday"), then casually add puppies, a brick, and a feed sack to the nearest lake once a year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm Hurt a dog, you’re a lousy human being. Period. Full stop.
I agree, Fauci is a lousy human being.
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:49 pm Of course, now Trump will have to prove his supremacy by beating a beagle to death with a golf club.
Fauci got there first.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm Hurt a dog, you’re a lousy human being. Period. Full stop.
I agree, Fauci is a lousy human being.
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:49 pm Of course, now Trump will have to prove his supremacy by beating a beagle to death with a golf club.
Fauci got there first.

I'm opposed to unnecessary animal suffering, including when it comes to medical research. If the work in your photo could possibly have been done without killing dogs, it should have.

But you're really morphing into a troll, dude. It's pretty unpleasant.
abr

Post by abr »

Also, Hitler had Blondie poisoned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

But you're really morphing into a troll, dude. It's pretty unpleasant.
+1.

I guess he felt the need to try and and put me in my place, though. So if he feels good about himself by doing so, who am I to take that away from him?

Show us on the doll where OO touched you, dude. We want to help you!
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:59 pm We want to help you!
Hey, speak for yourself!