DISGRACED

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

DISGRACED

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, this makes me so happy to read:

The former chair of the now-disbanded Jan. 6 committee introduced a bill Friday that would strip Secret Service protection of any former executive convicted of a felony — an effort to avoid the complications of incarcerating former President Trump should he be ordered to serve jail time.

Dubbed the “Denying Infinite Security and Government Resources Allocated toward Convicted and Extremely Dishonorable (DISGRACED) Former Protectees Act,” the legislation from Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) would nix the lifelong protection given to former presidents if they are convicted and sentenced for a felony that carries a year or more in prison time.
Note:
“This bill would remove the potential for conflicting lines of authority within prisons and allow judges to weigh the sentencing of individuals without having to factor in the logistical concerns of convicts with Secret Service protection,” Thompson’s team wrote on a one-pager on the bill.

Secret Service protections are not just afforded to current and former presidents but also other high ranking officials and immediate family members of protectees.

But Trump is the only protectee facing felony charges — 91 various felony charges across four different state and federal cases.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Re: DISGRACED

Post by Blackhawk »

I... don't think I agree with that. Make concessions for them while they're in prison, yes. But if they're out, somebody needs to be keeping an eye on them. Being convicted doesn't remove state secrets from their minds.

So, rather than stripping the protection, shift the authority in the relationship more to the Secret Service. Part bodyguards, part probation officers.

Hell, they could make it mandatory and restrict international travel while they're at it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Secret Service are also surveillance. We may need to know whether Trump is meeting with Russian spies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm sure it will pass or fail on its merits.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm Secret Service are also surveillance. We may need to know whether Trump is meeting with Russian spies.
If he's meeting with Russian spies in prison, we have bigger problems.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:26 pm
Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm Secret Service are also surveillance. We may need to know whether Trump is meeting with Russian spies.
If he's meeting with Russian spies in prison, we have bigger problems.
Thus my suggestion that accommodations be made for the duration of the stay, but that they return (or take on a fuller role) once he's out.

And unless he's carefully isolated, if Russian agents want to talk to Trump, Russian agents will talk to Trump.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can totally understand all that, but I do think - because of the crazy timeline we're in - this type of law removes the mental hurdle requiring Secret Service protection for an incarcerated former President.

Once we clear that bar, then adding additional protections back in place that make more sense should absolutely be considered.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Prison's easy. For national security, it is necessary that Trump be kept in protective custody. Assign him an agent who gets to read a book for 7 1/2 of his 8 hour shift. Problem solved.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm I'm sure it will pass or fail on its merits.
:lol:
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm I'm sure it will pass or fail on its merits.
Like a FART in the wind.