Ori and the Blind Forest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Ori and the Blind Forest

Post by Hipolito »

The Definitive Edition is on Steam for $5. It's received so much praise over the years that I bought it sight unseen.

It's a Metroidvania. You run your cute little spirit bunny along, zap enemies, and collect their spirit energy. When you turn back because you don't have the right inventory items to progress, those enemies have already respawned so you can zap them again.

The game is pretty and takes place in a vaguely Asian enchanted forest. It tries to be emotionally stirring. But after an hour of play, I'm just bored.

It's also weird that when you bring up the map, there are hardly any icons on it. You have to buy upgrades to get icons to appear on the map. That doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe I'm just blind to the magic, but this doesn't seem to be my kind of game.
disarm

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest

Post by disarm »

I played both Ori games and enjoyed them quite a bit. The story is presented in a pretty understated way, and the gameplay takes a little bit to really hit its stride because you have to unlock so many abilities as you make your way through the world, but I enjoyed both enough to reach their ends. There are some really cool ideas in the games and they become pretty challenging in later parts. If you're into Metroidvania-style platformers, I think they're absolutely worth checking out, but I can see how they're not for everyone.

For what it's worth, both games are available on Xbox Gamepass for consoles, and the first game (Ori and the Blind Forest) is available on PC...can try them out for "free" if you're already a GamePass subscriber.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The first Ori leaned heavy on platforming and combat was mostly an afterthought. I would say it was mostly an exploration platformer with a fluid level feel that reminded me a lot of Rayman Legends. I’m not sure how far you are but early on you get the ability to warp through enemies and parts of the terrain, at which point you basically never need to stop moving. That’s when the game really comes alive.

The 2nd Ori was closer to a true metroidvania game and had a much greater focus on combat with multiple attack upgrades.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thank you both for your positive opinions on the game. You got me to play it some more, and it turned out to be better (and much harder) than I thought.

I now have the Bash ability (where you can deflect an enemy or bullet one way while you fly the opposite way). I've never seen anything like this before. The game really makes you use it once you get it, upping the challenge. I'm relying on YouTube walkthrough videos to see how to get through these crazy spike-filled puzzle areas.

I'm now trying to complete the first escape sequence. So many tries, so many dies. :angelic-whiteflying:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The escape sequences' are basically the boss battles of the game. They get very hard. The game isn't terribly long though, if I recall correctly the first one is about 1/3 of the way through the game.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Glad to hear you gave it another's shot and are enjoying it more. The Dash ability definitely changes up the gameplay in a unique and challenging way. You'll get the hang of it and be flying through the levels in no time. There's a really cool flow to the game once you get the movement down.

Those escape sequences, especially the first one, can be pretty tricky. At the time the first one happens, you haven't encountered anything like it in the game yet and it's a tough surprise. They get easier (in a way) as you learn the game though. You'll understand exactly what you need to do, but making it happen is the challenge.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I enjoyed both Ori games for a bit, but they ultimately proved way to difficult for me.

Definitely beautiful though, and certainly worth a look.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I finally made it through the first escape sequence. My heart was pounding.

I've "solved" the Black Root Burrows. That was one of the coolest gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

This game's got its thorns in me.