Protests 2024 - Stop Hey What's That Sound...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Re: Protests 2024 - Stop Hey What's That Sound...

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Can’t you see it’s all just a massive government conspiracy? Or have they gotten to you too?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:29 pm
Has anything I posted from them been false? And I’m not sure exactly how the video that was had any “spin”. I also saw it elsewhere.

"These protesters hate America."
That's not news, that's editorializing, and facts not in evidence.

"It's the same crowd that rioted in Seattle in 1999, Berkeley in 2017, and during the Summer of 2020."
That's not news, that's editorializing, and facts not in evidence. And, likely, complete bullshit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

What if the student protestors go back to the campus? They're going to stop students from entering the campus?
Victoria Raverna

Reminder from Bernie Sanders:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Universities Face an Urgent Question: What Makes a Protest Antisemitic?
In a video shared widely online, a leader of the pro-Palestinian student movement at Columbia University stands near the center of a lawn on the campus and calls out, “We have Zionists who have entered the camp.”

Dozens of protesters, who have created a tent village called the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment,” repeat his words back to him: “We have Zionists who have entered the camp.”

“Walk and take a step forward,” the leader says, as the students continue to repeat his every utterance, “so that we can start to push them out of the camp.”

The protesters link arms and march in formation toward three Jewish students who have come inside the encampment.

“It was really scary because we had like 75 people quickly gathered around, encircling us, doing exactly what he said to do,” Avi Weinberg, one of the Jewish students, said in an interview. He and his friends had gone to see the encampment, not intending to provoke, he said. When it began to feel tense, one of the students started to record the encounter. They are not sure precisely how the protest leader determined they were supportive of Israel.

“Suddenly we are being called ‘the Zionists’ in their encampment,” Mr. Weinberg said. “He put a target on our back.”

On Thursday, the incident took on new significance when a video from January resurfaced on social media showing the same protest leader, Khymani James, saying “Zionists don’t deserve to live” and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”

The next day, Columbia officials announced they had barred Mr. James from campus.
Black Lives Matter.
Victoria Raverna

Was that the same Avi Weinberg that was interviewed and quoted by multiple news media in opposition of the pro Palestinian protestor since before April 21st? Maybe that was how they know he is a pro-Israel or anti Palestinian protestor?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:00 am Universities Face an Urgent Question: What Makes a Protest Antisemitic?
In a video shared widely online, a leader of the pro-Palestinian student movement at Columbia University stands near the center of a lawn on the campus and calls out, “We have Zionists who have entered the camp.”

Dozens of protesters, who have created a tent village called the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment,” repeat his words back to him: “We have Zionists who have entered the camp.”

“Walk and take a step forward,” the leader says, as the students continue to repeat his every utterance, “so that we can start to push them out of the camp.”

The protesters link arms and march in formation toward three Jewish students who have come inside the encampment.

“It was really scary because we had like 75 people quickly gathered around, encircling us, doing exactly what he said to do,” Avi Weinberg, one of the Jewish students, said in an interview. He and his friends had gone to see the encampment, not intending to provoke, he said. When it began to feel tense, one of the students started to record the encounter. They are not sure precisely how the protest leader determined they were supportive of Israel.

“Suddenly we are being called ‘the Zionists’ in their encampment,” Mr. Weinberg said. “He put a target on our back.”

On Thursday, the incident took on new significance when a video from January resurfaced on social media showing the same protest leader, Khymani James, saying “Zionists don’t deserve to live” and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”

The next day, Columbia officials announced they had barred Mr. James from campus.

No subscription, and it shouldn't make a difference in the barring from campus, but it should make a difference in the events leading up to it: Was Khymani James a student?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:57 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:19 pm Gay people face persecution under the PA on the West Bank too. In fact a number have applied to Israel for asylum. Islamic states generally aren't safe places for gay people.

When people are posting signs and shouting "From the river to the sea", I tend to think there's more than just concern for innocent civilians going on.
Small children dying under Israeli bombs don't have opinions about homosexuality.

Grif, you know what 98% of the protesters are against here, and it's definitely *not* homosexuality.

I know a lot of people on a lot of university campuses. My social media is full of them reporting Pro-Palestine students *and Jewish students* linking arms and calling for an end to the suffering in Gaza. Somehow that never seems to make it into the media narrative.
Yes, thank you - this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:48 pm
"It's the same crowd that rioted in Seattle in 1999, Berkeley in 2017, and during the Summer of 2020."
That's not news, that's editorializing, and facts not in evidence. And, likely, complete bullshit.
It's entirely bullshit.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm Protesting ain’t what it used to be with the DoorDash/Grubhub generation in charge now:

Saw on Twitter yesterday a tweet of hers praising the Trump campaign in 2020. Go figure.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll just point out that the Post Millennial youtube account is very clearly a right wing propaganda account making it's money by re-contextualizing everything into an anti-left wing, often anti-youth joke they use to mock.

Which, let's face it, is par for the course for most political social media accounts on both sides of the aisle.

That said, I can only assume the twitter account is the same. So I won't be reading or paying attention to anything coming from that account. Just a heads up for anyone who wasn't aware.

This is not a comment on those posting these links and tweets, just my observations over a lengthy period of witnessing their behaviour.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 am Was that the same Avi Weinberg that was interviewed and quoted by multiple news media in opposition of the pro Palestinian protestor since before April 21st? Maybe that was how they know he is a pro-Israel or anti Palestinian protestor?
What does that have to do with the belief that how he and the other Jewish students were treated was wrong?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 am
It's entirely bullshit.
Like my old grand daddy used to say, "The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read that Columbia University barred reporters from covering the arrests on their campus. Columbia is the nation's premier journalism school and will be awarding Pulitzers next week. Banning reporters is not a good look for them.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:52 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:00 am Universities Face an Urgent Question: What Makes a Protest Antisemitic?

No subscription, and it shouldn't make a difference in the barring from campus, but it should make a difference in the events leading up to it: Was Khymani James a student?
Yes. He was (and remains, I believe) a student at Columbia.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:36 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 am Was that the same Avi Weinberg that was interviewed and quoted by multiple news media in opposition of the pro Palestinian protestor since before April 21st? Maybe that was how they know he is a pro-Israel or anti Palestinian protestor?
What does that have to do with the belief that how he and the other Jewish students were treated was wrong?

That is to answer his question. You read the article right?

I don't say if it is right or not, but if he is known to be against the protestors, you can understand why they had suspicion against him. A senior student by that name was going around media being interviewed to be against the protestors and claiming to be not safe days before that incident in several different incidents with his photos included in those articles. If this is the same student, why he then tried to enter the encampment? He didn't feel safe because of the protestors for days but then he intentionally came to see the protest and try to enter the encampment?
Victoria Raverna

Biden's response to the student protestors:

And Bernie Sanders being interviewed about the student protestors:
Dogstar

Protests 2024 - Stop Hey What's That Sound...

Post by Dogstar »

This was posted several times on Twitter today, and I was reminded that a lot of the protests in the 60’s were on private property, and there was definitely disorder along the way. I can’t help but wonder if some of us, myself included as I’ve gotten older, and definitely Biden, might have lost some of the idealism and the sense of what caused things to move back in the day. I’m not endorsing violence, and I’m not endorsing hate. But some reflection is definitely in order, at least for me personally, in terms of what’s acceptable for protests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dogstar on Thu May 02, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Neutrality favors the oppressor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm

I don't say if it is right or not, but if he is known to be against the protestors, you can understand why they had suspicion against him. A senior student by that name was going around media being interviewed to be against the protestors and claiming to be not safe days before that incident in several different incidents with his photos included in those articles. If this is the same student, why he then tried to enter the encampment? He didn't feel safe because of the protestors for days but then he intentionally came to see the protest and try to enter the encampment?
You’re going with the “she was asking for it because of what she wore” defense for the protestors? Good lord.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:52 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm

You’re going with the “she was asking for it because of what she wore” defense for the protestors? Good lord.
No. I'm going with "he is playing victim". He repeatedly appeared on news media as "a victim" of the protestors in different incidents.

Maybe a better analogy is "she keep returning to the unsafe place she claimed that she was molested".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If he was physically harassed, he’s a victim. I don’t give a shit whether or not he goes around walking into encampments to see if he gets harassed. He shouldn’t be. Period.

Maybe he’s seeking to be the victim to prove that some of these protests really are antisemitic acts of aggression on the part of bigots.

Seems to be proving his case, if that’s true.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 pm If he was physically harassed, he’s a victim. I don’t give a shit whether or not he goes around walking into encampments to see if he gets harassed. He shouldn’t be. Period.

Maybe he’s seeking to be the victim to prove that some of these protests really are antisemitic acts of aggression on the part of bigots.

Seems to be proving his case, if that’s true.
He was not physically harassed. He was not allowed to get into the encampment.

BTW, there was a case where pro-Israel protestors yelled "Death to the Jews" and got people arrested.

It is not surprising that the pro-Palestinian protestors don't want opposite group to infiltrate their camp.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got it. If Palestinian supporters physically harass anyone, anywhere; or call for the death of Israelis (Khymani James, for example), then in your eyes the Jewish students are to blame.

I’m fine with saying that both sides are wrong at times. Too bad you’re not.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:10 pm Got it. If Palestinian supporters physically harass anyone, anywhere; or call for the death of Israelis (as has been proven has happened), then in your eyes the Jewish students are to blame.

I’m fine with saying that both sides are wrong at times. Too bad you’re not.
Did I say that? I think you're a bit dishonest. You have been posting stuffs that always take the anti Palestinian side.

I'm repeatedly try to show you that both sides are wrong.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You mean like when I got into the argument with Grifman after I said the police were being too rough on the protestors?

No, there’s really only one person i know of here who blindly dedends one side no matter what. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you point out antisemitic behavior on the part of the protestors. And when it’s pointed out TO you, you blame Jews for wanting to be “victims “.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 02, 2024 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:20 pm You mean like when I got into the argument with Grifman after I said the police were being too rough on the protestors?

No, there’s really only one person i know of here who blindly dedends one side no matter what.
Then I apologize, I think I mixed you up with Grifman.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:40 am
Unagi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 am
It's entirely bullshit.
Like my old grand daddy used to say, "The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
In almost every other circumstance - I'd fall in line with grand daddy's advise... But I feel certain that the crowd in 1999 Seattle and this crowd here, 25 years later, is chronologically incapable of being the same crowd.

:ugeek:
Victoria Raverna

Just in case you think I was lying about it. This was the incident where pro-Israel protestor called for "Death to the Jews":

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that proves you’re right, I guess. Jews are just playing victims every time there’s any antisemitic incident at one of these protests. Khymani James is an undercover Jew also, I guess.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 pm Well, that proves you’re right, I guess. Jews are just playing victims every time there’s any antisemitic incident at one of these protests. Khymani James is an undercover Jew also, I guess.
I didn't say that. I said that there was at least a case of pro Israel protestors doing that.

As for Khymani James, he was wrong. As wrong as the pro Israel protestor that yelled "Death to the Jews".

I never said he was right. I just said that it is reasonable for pro Palestinian protestors to prevent infiltration.

Not only from the pro Israel agitator but also real antisemitic people who like to spread hatred toward Jews.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Prevent infiltration? What, they’re a sovereign state now?

I don’t like it when protestors physically block Jews or try to physically herd them away from areas they have every right to go.

I also don’t like it when cops beat on protestors.

You only admit that both sides can be wrong when you get forced into it after someone calls you out for being one sided.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

I don't keep repeating both sides are wrong or can be wrong because there is no need to do so.

When majority of posters here post about the wrong of pro Palestinian protestors just like most media are doing. There is no need for me to focus on that.

So instead of that, I try to show that both sides can be wrong by countering the one sided posts (against pro Palestinian protestors) here.

I think I have explained that repeatedly. Here, I mostly post pro Palestinian. On Indonesian forums where majority are pro Palestinian and hate Israel or Jews. I posted things that defend Jews or even Israel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There’s very few posters here consistently saying the protestors are wrong. Heck, I can really only think of one.

We don’t “hate” Palestinians. So comparing us to a forum where everyone hates Jews seems a bit unfair.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 02, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:48 pm Prevent infiltration? What, they’re a sovereign state now?
You don't think they should prevent troublemakers from joining their protest?
I don’t like it when protestors physically block Jews or try to physically herd them away from areas they have every right to go.
You know that there are Jews among the pro Palestinian protestors, right?
I also don’t like it when cops beat on protestors.
Sure. Most people don't like that. I also don't like when protestors beat people.
You only admit that both sides can be wrong when you get forced into it after someone calls you out for being one sided.
I don't feel the need to keep repeating that both sides can be wrong. That is obvious.

It is like the stupid interviewers that like to keep asking guests if they condemn Hamas attacks on October 7th before they can talk about Israel's crimes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not that obvious, considering how often someone has pointed out your constant barrage of one sided videos, and your attempts to portray any bad behavior in the groups you defend as actually being the fault of the other guy.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(Now I know how everyone else feels when Hepcat and I go at it!)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

It is possible to handle protestors peacefully:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... -agreement
Students at Rutgers University in New Jersey and the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis reached agreements with administrators on Thursday to peacefully dismantle their Gaza solidarity encampment protest.

Rutgers and the University of Minnesota now join Northwestern and Brown in successfully reaching deals to peacefully end their encampment protests.

The peaceful resolutions are in contrast to the scenes at other universities in the US where pro-Palestinian protesters have been met with police violence after university administrations called on law enforcement to intervene and break up the encampments. More than 2,000 pro-Palestinian protesters have been arrested at campuses across the country.

The agreement at Rutgers was reached on Thursday after students met with administration to present their demands, some of which include: divesting from corporations participating in or benefiting from Israel; terminating Rutgers’ partnership with Tel Aviv University; accepting at least 10 displaced students from Gaza; and displaying the flags of occupied peoples – such as Palestinians, Kurds, and Kashmiris – alongside other existing international flags on campus.

Eight out of the 10 demands were met, but Rutgers students, faculty and alumni were still fighting for the remaining two: the actual call for divestment as well as severing ties with Tel Aviv University.

In an email, the RU Muslim alumni group wrote: “Even though most of the demands have been met, there is still much work to be done … These demands will require great effort and continuous pressure to bring to fruition and your continued support is still needed.”

Just like 80 other universities across the country, Rutgers students established their own encampment earlier this week.

On Thursday morning, final exams at Rutgers were postponed due to the encampment protest, and university president Jonathan Holloway in an email threatened student demonstrators with police intervention if they did not “comply and disperse, clearing the area of their tents and belongings” by 4pm.

Shortly before 4pm, students began taking down their tents.

After four days, University of Minnesota students have also dismantled their encampment as of Wednesday, when interim university president Jeff Ettinger agreed to meet with protesters to hear their demands.

At Northwestern, university administration agreed to disclosing university investments, a community house for Middle Eastern and North African/Muslim students, and funding to support admitting Palestinian faculty and students.

Shortly after Northwestern protesters dismantled their encampment on Monday, Brown University followed suit. The Brown Corporation agreed to hold a vote on a divestment measure in October.

Campus encampment protests began taking place across the US after Columbia University students earlier this month pitched tents and began occupying the main lawn, igniting a worldwide movement that calls for universities to financially divest from Israel while it continues its military assault on Gaza and occupation of Palestinian land.
Victoria Raverna

This from over a week ago, police arrested Jewish protestors that support Gaza Palestinians: