Fallout: Tale of Two Wastelands mod

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Fallout: Tale of Two Wastelands mod

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of people are returning to Fallout for... some reason. I'm starting a thread for this, just for convenience/neatness sake, to make things easy to find, and to avoid cluttering other threads. Of course, now I have to write an introduction...

Tale of Two Wastelands is a super-mod that takes all of the Fallout 3 content and adds it to Fallout: New Vegas. In practice, you start playing Fallout 3, and, at any point you choose, you can travel to New Vegas, get bonked on the head, and play that campaign. After a certain point, you can return to the Capital Wasteland (FO3) and resume that one, or travel back and forth, or whatever, bringing your followers between campaigns, too. Not only is it a rock-solid mod, it's very well documented, and the big advantage is that FO:NV has a more refined, capable version of the engine, with mechanics that improved on Fallout 3. Even if you just want to play FO3 and not New Vegas, this is a great way to go.

Installation takes attention to detail, but isn't bad at all thanks to top-notch documentation.

Note that due to Epic being less than epic, playing this with the Epic version of FO:NV is currently impossible.

Link
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Re: Fallout: Tale of Two Wastelands mod

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm so close to getting this to work I can smell it!

Issues I ran into in case anyone else is following, and I followed the excellent instructions to a tee:

1. When trying to merge the two games (step before compiling, which takes a minute!), I got an error saying something about the data file not being in the right place (this was for FO3, which I am using from Epic). Could very well be an Epic issue, but I saw no mention of this. I simply copied the data file and moved it up a...tree branch in the directory, and that seemed to work. Totally guessing on that one!

2. Installation notes say that FNV will work from Epic, but as BH mentioned above, it will not (now - it did previously). I just bought it again from Eneba or something similar for $4 or so....Steam version.

3. You need ALL the DLC's for both versions, or the ultimate/GOTY version.

4. You have to install and use Mod Organizer 2 in order to play this, and run the game from that.

Final issue, hopefully you can help BH or VR:

Again, I was able to successfully compile the games (took about 2 hours I think, maybe longer), but now MO2 (Mod Organizer 2) is saying that it can't find the FNV exe. I went back and restarted both games to the logo screen, as it mentioned, but no dice.

Any ideas? I assume it's just moving SOME file SOMEwhere but I have no idea what, or where. This issue was not in the troubleshooting or FAQ section.

I will say I MUCH prefer the previous mod apps I used over MO2. I understand that it's probably more technically powerful, but it is MUCH less user friendly than Vortex or others I have used. Jabbawock?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:35 pm Final issue, hopefully you can help BH or VR:

Again, I was able to successfully compile the games (took about 2 hours I think, maybe longer), but now MO2 (Mod Organizer 2) is saying that it can't find the FNV exe. I went back and restarted both games to the logo screen, as it mentioned, but no dice.

Any ideas? I assume it's just moving SOME file SOMEwhere but I have no idea what, or where. This issue was not in the troubleshooting or FAQ section.

I will say I MUCH prefer the previous mod apps I used over MO2. I understand that it's probably more technically powerful, but it is MUCH less user friendly than Vortex or others I have used. Jabbawock?
How are you launching it?

(And FWIW, the benefits of MO2 over Vortex and it's kin are significant - but you're right that it has a steeper learning curve.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, fair warning - I took a mid-game hiatus, and left it on hold for quite a while. My actual installation experience with TTW is about a year and a half old, and my memory sucks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive used both. I like how MO2 would handle mods in that it could be removed or added or turned on and off easy. The mods sorta sat over the game somehow.. hard to explain.

But last I used stuff I still preferred Vortex. In fact I preferred the one before Vortex and didn't like Vortex when it first came out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Short version: Mod Organizer doesn't touch the actual game. It doesn't touch the game's files. It makes copies of what it needs, keeps mods in a separate folder, then uses Technomage tricks to convince the game that it's fully modded. The advantages are that you can run multiple profiles of the same game (allowing you to have multiple characters without having a dozen mage mods on your archer, or to have one install customized for multiple people, or to experiment with a new mod pack without affecting your old game), can run the vanilla unmodded game without reinstalling it, can save your current mod loadout and try changes to it for troubleshooting or to further mod it without affecting the original install, can tweak the config files in a way that Bethesda can't mess with (the default ES/FO launcher infamously likes to set parts of your config files back to the default without asking you), and a dozen other, similar advantages.

The simple fact that the mods are never actually 'installed' into a shared folder is very powerful, as no mod file will ever overwrite any other mod file. Using other managers means that if you install two mods that overlap, whichever you install second will overwrite the files from the first. If you want to change which of those options take precedence, you can't - you have to reinstall those mods from scratch again, which becomes a real nightmare when you have a dozen different mods overlapping in different areas. Reinstall one, break two others. With MO2, they're simply read in whichever order they're in in the list. Want to change precedence, you just change the order.

If someone's going to be doing a lot of modding of Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Starfield, it's worth taking the time to learn how MO2 works. It'll pay off in the long run.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Is there a mod that improve FO3/FNV graphics that is compatible with TTW? After playing Fallout 4, it is hard to go back to TTW.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:52 pm Is there a mod that improve FO3/FNV graphics that is compatible with TTW? After playing Fallout 4, it is hard to go back to TTW.
I'd double check with the TTW Discord, but any pure texture replacer should work fine, as long as it doesn't fiddle with the models (have it first in the load order, just to be sure.) I know I mixed-and-matched a couple of texture replacers myself.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:52 pm Is there a mod that improve FO3/FNV graphics that is compatible with TTW? After playing Fallout 4, it is hard to go back to TTW.
Ha! If I can ever get it to run, this will be my first, and likely last question about mods. Honestly it doesn't look too bad currently, except for those faces in the char creation...wowza are those hideous, with shining sparkly pupils like the Big Evil from Half Life 2.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:28 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:35 pm Final issue, hopefully you can help BH or VR:

How are you launching it?
Using MO2 - I think it is just a target/location issue but there have been so many steps to get here (and some finagling on my part to get it to work thus far) that I have no idea how to troubleshoot.

Edit: OK, I got it to launch (I think...it just look like the normal FNV intro to me...not sure if it should look different - i.e. no indication that I have successfully loaded TTW).

Now it launches, and just crashes back to MO2 after a few of the intro screens (Bethesda, Please Stand By, etc).
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

This is a guide on how to improve the visual of FNV including TTW:

https://salamand3r.fail/new-vegas-visual-renewal

I tried to follow it but gave up at the first section (extension) because there are too many mods for me. Maybe it'll help someone that have no problem going through the whole guide and install recommended mods.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am defeated.

I couldn't ever get this to fully work (and there are a metric crap ton of reasons why it might not be, which I am not willing to go through), so I will just go for mostly vanilla with some texture mods and maybe the unofficial mods (unless someone has a MUST HAVE mod they recommend).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Make sure you grab the unofficial patches.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:58 pm Make sure you grab the unofficial patches.
I know of one...but you said "patches" - there are more than one?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Honestly, I don't know. It's been many years since I've manually modded it. I'd personally go and look at a couple of existing mod lists (on Wabbajack or TTW) and see what the basic fixes they use are. Might want to go on Nexus and sort by most downloaded as well, then look through the first page or two and see what looks like it's actually necessary.

Also, make sure you use the 4GB patcher.