2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Sunspot activity in freefall

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Sunspot activity in freefall

Post by Daehawk »

Well that'll really throw off The Scouts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm
But a few times every million years, the field's polarity reverses and the magnetic North Pole and South Pole trade places. The last time this happened was about 780,000 years ago, and the process was previously estimated to take thousands of years, shifting at a rate of about one degree per year.
:geek:

shifting at a rate of about one degree per year. That would take, about 180 years... not 'thousands of years'. :think:

doesn't that read just blatantly wrong?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm confused. I thought that the N/S Poles weakened and weakened and then, more or less, flipped. This makes it sound like half-way through the process one would see the North Pole as being a point on the equator - let's say, to the East (or what we used to call East).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:53 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm
But a few times every million years, the field's polarity reverses and the magnetic North Pole and South Pole trade places. The last time this happened was about 780,000 years ago, and the process was previously estimated to take thousands of years, shifting at a rate of about one degree per year.
:geek:

shifting at a rate of about one degree per year. That would take, about 180 years... not 'thousands of years'. :think:

doesn't that read just blatantly wrong?
I presume that it wanders a lot before flipping. Should've been explained; I did a double-take, too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So earth has a molten core that spins to create magnetic fields that protect us from cosmic rays. That seems pretty fortunate. Take that plus a large moon plus Jupiter that snatches up most asteroids and you've got some answers to Fermi's Paradox.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
A sunspot pointing toward Earth has the potential to cause solar flares, but experts told USA TODAY it's far from unusual and eased concerns over how flares would affect the Blue Planet.

Active Region 3038, or AR3038, has been growing over the past week, said Rob Steenburgh, acting lead of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Forecast Office. The sunspot's size and growth rate are fairly normal, he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

On the other hand, a massive solar flare event is pretty much in like with the last 6 years so I expect at least some power grid failures.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The sun’s activity is peaking sooner than expected
Over the course of a solar cycle, the sun will transition from a calm to an intense and active period. During the peak of activity, called solar maximum, the sun’s magnetic poles flip. Then, the sun will grow quiet again during a solar minimum.

Initially, peak activity was forecast to begin in July 2025. Now, experts believe the cyclical peak is more likely to take place in mid- to late 2024.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

From Google Trends, it looks like the lag between people Googling cocktail recipes and 'hangover cure' is 14 hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Behemoth sunspot AR3664 unleashes its biggest solar flare yet, sparking radio blackouts on Earth
The X3.98 flare peaked in the early hours this morning (May 10) at 2:54 a.m. (0654 GMT) triggering either temporary or complete loss of high frequency (HF) radio signals across Asia, eastern Europe and eastern Africa.
The radiation travels toward Earth at the speed of light and ionizes (gives electrical charge to) the top of Earth's atmosphere, creating a higher-density environment for the radio signals to navigate through.
When attempting to travel through that ionized layer, radio waves can't help but interact with electrons that've now flooded their environment. In doing so, the radio waves lose energy due to more frequent collisions with the electrons. This can lead to radio signals becoming degraded or completely absorbed, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

spaceweather.com
THE FIRST CME HAS ARRIVED: The first of six CMEs hurled toward Earth by giant sunspot AR3664 is minutes away form striking our planet's magnetic field. It has just passed the DSCOVR spacecraft and will soon close the gap to Earth. This could be a 'Cannibal CME' composed of two or three individual storm clouds--or simply the first of six. We will soon find out.

UPDATE--SIX CMEs ARE HEADING FOR EARTH: The number of CMEs heading for Earth keeps increasing. The total is now six following this morning's X3.9-class flare from giant sunspot AR3664.
According to a NOAA forecast model, the first three CMEs could merge to form a "Cannibal CME." Cannibal CMEs form when fast-moving CMEs overtake and gobble up slower CMEs in front of them. Internal shock waves created by such CME collisions do an good job sparking geomagnetic storms when they strike Earth's magnetic field.

The Cannibal CME is expected to arrive on May 11th. It alone could spark a strong (G3) geomagnetic storm. With two more CMEs following close behind, storm levels could become extreme (G4), sparking auroras at mid- to low-latitudes across Europe and the USA.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw a news story suggesting the aurora borealis can be seen this far south this weekend.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in SE TN and should be able to see it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I hope to see it, but in PA we're expecting rain and cloudy weather all weekend.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm currently in Alaska, which should be a shoo-in, except

* the clouds (it was raining pretty steadily with an incoming atmospheric river the last few days)
* if the EMF activity is TOO strong, it actually pushes the aurora activity further south! a very strong one like this may move all the way down to Texas.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The aurora is probably too gauzy to overcome our skyglow here. I'll check it out if it's clear. I've seen auroras on the horizon in rural Michigan a few times.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I wasn't able to see much with the naked eye here in southern Ontario; I can make something out, and my brain knows something special is going on from the patterns (banding/streaking/etc.), but there's barely any colour and I didn't detect any movement.

But slap on my phone's simple nighttime camera filter, and I got some brilliant views with the default 3-5 second exposure:

Again, I couldn't see anything like that with the naked eye. Oh how I wish I could. But, I'm still in awe of being able to experience this!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Between the industrial park glow and the trees I cant see a thing. my sister could only get a few pics where she was.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I found out that one must go outside to see this, so I watched it on the internet. The potential payoff for putting on pants just wasn't there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I went out several times, but nada. Whether it's everyone having ultra-halogen-LED-eye-melting porch lights, haze, or it's just not visible, I don't know.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was totally clouded over until after 12am here. I went out around 1am and there were some spots where I could see stars and I want to say I saw a light purple haze, but that might have just been wishful thinking. The pictures people are sharing online are amazing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My kid was able to "see" it down in Ashland - the first shot is what she sees with her eye, the second is with nightmode enabled on her phone:

[bimg][/bimg]

[bimg][/bimg]

I didn't see anything because it wasn't visible until close to midnight and my old ass was long asleep by then. :oops:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:22 am It was totally clouded over until after 12am here. I went out around 1am and there were some spots where I could see stars and I want to say I saw a light purple haze, but that might have just been wishful thinking. The pictures people are sharing online are amazing.
A couple of my friends have shared beautiful photos of colorful skies, but all said they couldn't see anything with the naked eye. If I can only see auroras in pictures, I don't feel compelled to be the one taking the pictures.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting. Well, then maybe I just saw light pollution from the strip mall that is a few miles away. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, if all that can be done is taking pictures, it wouldn't be all that different from just looking up a picture.

I did see them sometime in the early 90s here in Indiana, and they were clearly visible.

/edit - I'm going to guess it was November 1991.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Post by disarm »

The IR nightvision on my Nest doorbell cam picked up a pretty cool wide-angle view of the whole sky swirling for about 90 minutes last night. I'm trying to download the video and turn it into a time lapse, but the Nest website is acting funny today.

Other than that, we experienced the same as most...mild color of the sky by the naked eye, but really cool through a camera.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Somewhat ironically, while I'd normally be able to see a brilliant display from my location, most of Northern Ontario was clouded out and I didn't get to see much of anything.

FWIW, even while the naked eye will notice something in the sky, which is absolutely possible on a good night of high-activity/kp index, camera sensitivities are able to capture much more than what the eye is inevitably going to see. In the past, I've taken pictures of the northern lights completely by mistake just by having a camera pointing in the right direction while I didn't notice anything going on with my eyes. That I captured anything was a total fluke, as I was set up for doing some astrophotography for a different reason.

This was the end result, in 2012:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

extremely active lights here in SE Alaska - i had never seen before where the source of the lights appeared to be directly overhead, while the 'aurora rays' streamed down on all sides like a dome effect.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

From my back yard last night. Barely visible with the naked eye but the camera picked up just fine.
Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It was a bust here, but I didn't really expect to see much. I mainly used it as an excuse to light the fire pit and get the kids outside and off the screens. It was a beautiful night just to hang out underneath the stars.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 pm It was a bust here….light the fire pit
I’ve cracked the case wide open!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Way to go, cochise!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was promised a complete collapse of civilization from these solar flares. What a rip off.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Musk's Starlink satellites disrupted by major solar storm
Starlink, the satellite arm of Elon Musk's SpaceX, warned on Saturday of a "degraded service" as the Earth is battered by the biggest geomagnetic storm due to solar activity in two decades.