Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:21 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:39 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:30 pm
People used to put hot coals in their bed (made of straw). Putting them under a stone table really isn't a big deal.
They were completely enclosed inside metal containers though. There's a difference between shoving an open Weber grill with red hot coals under your mattress and sticking a closed metal pot filled with hot coals under your mattress a few hours before bedtime. Now, if we can get a breakdown of the tables material, I might be less inclined to file a report with the Dragonstone City Council.

p.s. this is all just goofy banter. I'm not REALLY going to report anyone to the City Council.
Apparently it uses candles. You can call off OSHA.
I could have sworn it was hot coals, but then I found this:

So we're good.

However, I'm still with Guap on the questionable practice of creating giant holes in the floor of your skyscrapers. Forgetting to put a "wet floor" sign up can result in a lawsuit, just imagine how much worse it would be in court after watching your entire family disappear down a giant goddamn hole in the floor as they each walk over to it to see what happened to their sibling/child/spouse and then falling through themselves.
Now depoliticized.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Could it be the Empire adopted no rails due to the influence of Westeros?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S2 teaser - "Summer 2024"

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

HOTDS2 premieres June 16 on Max.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope they jump the story 20,000 years into the past and everyone is still wearing the same clothes.
Now depoliticized.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In watching the first season, one thing I kept noticing was how drab the setwork was, and meanwhile the promotional articles were all saying how it was supposed to be even more lavish than Game of Thrones, given that as an empire they're supposed to be richer. I get that they changed shooting locations, ie different countries used for King's Landing, but it really gave it a different feel, and not so much in a good way, as I felt the effect was actually the opposite. And the other thing is, I kept getting the feeling like they had used that very same interiors they used for Dorn when Dany held her staging points, ie the room with the lattice. Maybe it's all in the lighting though which lent it a drab feeling throughout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:25 pm Maybe it's all in the lighting though which lent it a drab feeling throughout.
There was lighting in season 1? :shock:
Now depoliticized.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Exactly. :lol: Felt like most of the time it was lit with candles and had an overall darker, lesser-lit feel to it, thus contributing to a less lavish feel to it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't like S1 enough to want a S2. Not likely to watch it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

….but….dragons.
Now depoliticized.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

June 16th

Here we go again
Spoiler:
Going down the only road we've ever known
Like a drifter, we were born to walk alone
And we've made up our minds
We ain't wasting no more time

sorry....I can't watch a House of Dragons scene without immediately hearing that in my head.
Now depoliticized.
SpiderRelax

Post by SpiderRelax »

Rich characters, succulent drama, and fights bigger than a Lannister feast made Game of Thrones akin to a royal feast. Unfortunately, though, the last few seasons lurched like an inebriated Tyrion lol
Last edited by SpiderRelax on Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

SpiderRelax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:20 pm Rich characters, succulent drama, and fights bigger than a Lannister feast made Game of Thrones akin to a royal feast. Unfortunately, though, the last few seasons lurched like an inebriated Tyrion, leaving viewers scratching their heads more quickly than Arya marking characters off her list. However, its cultural influence spread quickly and widely, like wildfire, guaranteeing its place on the throne of TV history—warts and all.
I, for one, would watch the shit out of a show solely focused on an inebriated Tyrion.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So yeah, S2 started last night and uh...it got dark real quick. Be careful of the internet today if you want to avoid spoilers as I'd imagine there are going to be plenty floating about.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just to be clear, when you say "dark" you mean figuratively, not literally, right?
Now depoliticized.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:52 am Just to be clear, when you say "dark" you mean figuratively, not literally, right?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, it's bright then....peroxide bright.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:52 am Just to be clear, when you say "dark" you mean figuratively, not literally, right?
Indeed. I wasn't expecting it and it was a bit much.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to resubscribe for the duration of the show, so I was hoping your post wasn't a warning that I would need to dial up the brightness on my tv past 100 and into "dear god, think about your retinas!" setting.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:)

I didn't have any issues with the cinematography in this first episode, though to be fair I didn't have any issues with S1 either. I watch the show in a darkened room and I was fine. I actually have more problems with audio than visuals, but thankfully the grim scene from last night's episode had plenty of audio that was clear in case you aren't exactly sure what is happening.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should probably update my tv at some point.

Now depoliticized.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:38 am :)

I didn't have any issues with the cinematography in this first episode, though to be fair I didn't have any issues with S1 either. I watch the show in a darkened room and I was fine. I actually have more problems with audio than visuals, but thankfully the grim scene from last night's episode had plenty of audio that was clear in case you aren't exactly sure what is happening.
since you brought up audio....

Was the sound very muted during the recap and the "here's what coming in the season segments?" I mean it was so soft, and then once the actual show started, I had to turn down quite a bit.

In terms of the dark part... I had to warn my wife when she walked in to sit down. I told her if I think where they are going with this, you're not going to want to be here for it...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:07 pm since you brought up audio....

Was the sound very muted during the recap and the "here's what coming in the season segments?" I mean it was so soft, and then once the actual show started, I had to turn down quite a bit.
I can't say I noticed that last night, but I have noticed it with other shows at other times. I'm constantly juggling the remote to adjust the volume in just about every show I watch. Struggling to hear dialogue and then some type of action sequence starts and I'm blasted off the couch.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:38 am :)

since you brought up audio....

In terms of the dark part... I had to warn my wife when she walked in to sit down. I told her if I think where they are going with this, you're not going to want to be here for it...
From summaries I've read, it sounds like the event at the climax of the episode, as taken from GRRM's source material, went down as a particularly heinous act in the Dance of the Dragons saga. So while there's going to be a lot of atrocities (this is a civil war, after all), this is likely to be one of the darkest moments of the season.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was like listening to a particularly disturbing game of "who's got your nose?".
Now depoliticized.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Not much chatter here about House of the Dragon lately. I find the show a mix of brilliant, exciting, or dull - and sometimes all 3 in a single episode. I think I would probably enjoy this more if I waited until all episodes were out and then binge watched them in clusters, as opposed to watching this the "old way" week to week. But it's fine. When it's awesome, it's awesome. (It's just not always awesome like I largely thought it was in season 1. ... Well except that fucking dark episode. LOL.)

On another note, I also find it beyond jarring how young this "older" version of Queen Alicent is. She is literally less than 4 years older than the actor playing her son Aemond is (who is not even her oldest son). What is the point in changing the actress when she is still far too young for the part?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There's a new dragon rider in town!
Spoiler:
Oops.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was literally in tears laughing the other night when my wife and I started this. She can watch a show, have a year long break between seasons, and come back to it still knowing all the characters and plot lines.

I on the other hand, have to be reminded weekly who is related to who, still don't know anyone's name after watching ten episodes, and am generally a complete idiot.

She was trying to explain the bloodlines and who was who's father and half-brother and son, and I'm just looking at her like a dog being lectured on college-level calculus and she was getting SO MAD she was practically screaming at me. And the madder she got the funnier the whole thing was.

I finally read enough episode recaps that I somewhat have it straight in my mind, even though I still have to really concentrate to remember who is on Team Black and who is on Team Green. At any rate we're enjoying this season.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:43 pm I was literally in tears laughing the other night when my wife and I started this. She can watch a show, have a year long break between seasons, and come back to it still knowing all the characters and plot lines.
It's easy for me: If they have white hair they are an asshole.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

YK, that is my TV viewing world as well. I almost always have to at least skim a synopsis of earlier seasons to be able to follow any new season when it comes out. I greatly prefer watching shows when they are finished, so I only have to forget them once! LOL.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:43 pm I was literally in tears laughing the other night when my wife and I started this. She can watch a show, have a year long break between seasons, and come back to it still knowing all the characters and plot lines.

I on the other hand, have to be reminded weekly who is related to who, still don't know anyone's name after watching ten episodes, and am generally a complete idiot.

She was trying to explain the bloodlines and who was who's father and half-brother and son, and I'm just looking at her like a dog being lectured on college-level calculus and she was getting SO MAD she was practically screaming at me. And the madder she got the funnier the whole thing was.

I finally read enough episode recaps that I somewhat have it straight in my mind, even though I still have to really concentrate to remember who is on Team Black and who is on Team Green. At any rate we're enjoying this season.
So weird, my wife and I also watch this show together and she gets super frustrated with me for always having to ask "now who is that again?!" Or "I thought she was dead!" She usually asks me if I have taken my meds after the third or fourth question.
Holman

Post by Holman »

:lol:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.