Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Random randomness

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:11 pm HOW FLORIDA IS GETTING ITS PINK BACK

Indeed, in the past nine months, flamingos have appeared throughout Florida in places where they haven’t been seen in decades — sightings scientists hope mark the return of one of the state’s most celebrated symbols.

They’ve been photographed while taking a leisurely swim within eyeshot of office buildings in Tampa Bay, hanging out with pelicans near Sanibel Island and sharing a sandspit with great blue herons just a few miles from Kennedy Space Center.
Kennedy Space Center? Hey, that's near me! :D
Turn your yard into a pond, add some fish, and wait! Maybe you can get your yard filled with live flamingos!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:11 pm HOW FLORIDA IS GETTING ITS PINK BACK

Indeed, in the past nine months, flamingos have appeared throughout Florida in places where they haven’t been seen in decades — sightings scientists hope mark the return of one of the state’s most celebrated symbols.

They’ve been photographed while taking a leisurely swim within eyeshot of office buildings in Tampa Bay, hanging out with pelicans near Sanibel Island and sharing a sandspit with great blue herons just a few miles from Kennedy Space Center.
Kennedy Space Center? Hey, that's near me! :D
Perhaps you saw the recent NASA Image of the Day from Merritt Island?

That one appeared almost immediately after my wife sent me this from Audubon Florida:
More than 100 American Flamingos Counted in Florida During February Census
Conform or be cast out!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

American flamingos? Instead of pink they are red,white, and blue?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hrdina wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:24 pm That one appeared almost immediately after my wife sent me this from Audubon Florida:
More than 100 American Flamingos Counted in Florida During February Census
Does that mean they can vote and does that give Florida more EC votes?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fucking hell. I spent 30 minutes trying to find out where Wild Badger Power got their parts and made the products. They are in the mower and trimmer field. But after digging and digging and being fed bs market speak I gave up. I have no idea where they get stuff and then build their mowers at. Seems pretty secret when you hide it behind all that word vomit on the internet. I can see where they are headquartered but not where their plant is.

Its not important and I really dont care but when I see this it makes me wonder wtf are they hiding lol.

God Im this bored.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:07 pm when I see this it makes me wonder wtf are they hiding lol.
That they're not designed to be repaired, just replaced.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I see where Rhode Island is banning kei cars. I looked them up but I still don't understand what's so bad about them and am confused about what they are really.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Tiny little Japaneese trucks that don't meet our "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards".

But nor do motorcycles.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:56 am In 10 hours I'll be joining everyone else in the Northeast on the parking lot we call the Mass Pike, because two new real estate listings cropped up in the Berkshires and one of them will surely be sold by Tuesday. When anything desirable crops up at a reasonable price, it sparks a bidding war that's won or lost within days. I mean to win this one, if I can. The property is listed $50k below what it's worth, and they did that specifically to make the sharks frenzy. I will dutifully join the, uh, whatever a school of sharks would be called if there was such a thing as a school of sharks.

Anyway, I'm allowing 5 hours for the usual 2.5-hour drive. That might be optimistic so wish me luck.
How did it go?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Holman wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am
Kraken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:56 am In 10 hours I'll be joining everyone else in the Northeast on the parking lot we call the Mass Pike, because two new real estate listings cropped up in the Berkshires and one of them will surely be sold by Tuesday. When anything desirable crops up at a reasonable price, it sparks a bidding war that's won or lost within days. I mean to win this one, if I can. The property is listed $50k below what it's worth, and they did that specifically to make the sharks frenzy. I will dutifully join the, uh, whatever a school of sharks would be called if there was such a thing as a school of sharks.

Anyway, I'm allowing 5 hours for the usual 2.5-hour drive. That might be optimistic so wish me luck.
How did it go?
It went well. He got the house.

viewtopic.php?p=3040397#p3040397

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

TheMix wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:54 am

How did it go?

That's great news!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:41 am
TheMix wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:54 am

How did it go?

That's great news!
Yup, we're going back on Sunday night for a 9 a.m. inspection on Monday. If it passes inspection the deal will be done. Last weekend's drive took 4 hours, so we made it with enough time to spare that I got to take a shower!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:43 pm I got to take a shower!
Now that is taking house hunting to an extreme! Did you bring your own towel, or use the seller's towel? :lol:

Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember in the F-35s development in was full of bugs and that it took a long time to fix most of them. Then I heard that the F-35 was in squadron use and still had bugs. Now it has become the premier fighter in many countries including the USA.
Have they finally fixed all the bugs?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have to get up at 0445 for surgery tomorrow. It will be the second time I set my alarm and the first time I'll actually need to set my alarm since I quit my job two years ago.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 pm I remember in the F-35s development in was full of bugs and that it took a long time to fix most of them. Then I heard that the F-35 was in squadron use and still had bugs. Now it has become the premier fighter in many countries including the USA.
They upgraded them to features.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:11 pm I have to get up at 0445 for surgery tomorrow.

Ugh. I feel ya.
I'm a week and a half away from doing the same.
Total knee replacement #2 coming up.
In at 5am and out by 5 pm.

For now though, I'm doing my best not to get sunburned down here in Mexico.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can I get the old one? I'm starting to have problems with my right one, and I'm fine with used.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If it's anything like the left one I just replaced, you probably dont want it.

The doctor's words were, "it was a mess in there."
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:37 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:11 pm I have to get up at 0445 for surgery tomorrow.

Ugh. I feel ya.
My wife is a frequent flyer on knee replacements, left #1 in 2004, right #1 in 2011, right #2 in 2012 (first implant didn't take), left #2 in 2019. The fewest number of nights she spent in the hospital was two, so impressive that you are doing it as an outpatient.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 pm I remember in the F-35s development in was full of bugs and that it took a long time to fix most of them. Then I heard that the F-35 was in squadron use and still had bugs. Now it has become the premier fighter in many countries including the USA.
There's no such thing as bug-free software.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:47 pm There's no such thing as bug-free software.
What about a program to play tic-tac-toe?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:44 pm Image
That would have made War Games a much shorter movie.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The shifty eyes, checking to see if anyone's watching.
Brian

Post by Brian »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:56 pm
My wife is a frequent flyer on knee replacements, left #1 in 2004, right #1 in 2011, right #2 in 2012 (first implant didn't take), left #2 in 2019. The fewest number of nights she spent in the hospital was two, so impressive that you are doing it as an outpatient.
Dang, that sounds rough.
Hell, I only used the walker on my first day post surgery. After that it was just a cane.

The tough part was our bathroom was being remodeled which meant I had to go up/down three (shortish) flights of stairs.

It's done now so that should make things easier.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Brother just got a new knee last Saturday. Definitely outpatient.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:07 pm The shifty eyes, checking to see if anyone's watching.
:lol:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

doc said I should probably get a knee replacement... in 2018. And yet, I hold out as long as I can do the things I want to (I don't want to end up on the multiple knee replacement wheel, and my doc said they usually last about 15 years nowadays - and that most of the advancements aren't in the knee replacement tech, but actually just in anaethesia these days - probably why it's outpatient above).

One thing which is great even if you need it, or will, is, of course, cycling - if only to keep the muscles in good shape for eventual rehab. It's good for the knees!
"It's definitely my longevity drug," says Brooks Boliek, 65, an avid cyclist of many decades, who used to commute to his office on a bicycle.

A substantial body of evidence supports the health benefits of cycling, everything from strengthening the immune system to boosting the likelihood of living longer. Now, a new study finds people who are in the habit of riding a bike are significantly less likely to have osteoarthritis and experience pain in their knees by age 65, compared to people who don't bike. ...

...Dr. Grace Lo of Baylor College of Medicine.

"I was surprised to see how very strong the benefit was," Lo says given the profile of the participants. The people enrolled in the study were not competitive athletes, but rather "average" people, ranging from their mid-40's up to 80 years old. All of them had elevated risks of developing knee arthritis due to weight, family history or former injuries.

The study can not prove cause and effect, given it was an observational study that assessed osteoarthritis at one point in time. But the findings, which are published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, validate the advice many health care providers give to patients about the benefits of cycling and other non weight-bearing exercises.
And in the year since I got my class1/pedal assist ebike (sub 40lb Trek Dual Sport 2+), I think it's even better. I only use it for recreational riding (the commute is too long, with too many hills), and yet am getting on average, maybe 20 miles a week in (did ~45 miles last week - 2x 12 mile lunch break rides, and a 20 mile weekend ride).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:37 pm

Ugh. I feel ya.

For now though, I'm doing my best not to get sunburned down here in Mexico.
ucky. this time, with nothing still broken its much easier but my arm is still worthless until??? and im still on and need the narcotics for the moment. i hope to go down to motrin and tylenol in a couple of days. i was in at 6 and out at 1. this time i can get out and back in to bed without using all the strength in my body and enduring all the pain i can handle.

i wish you the best. your experience and rehab sounds way worse than mine.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I feel so old.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can barely understand parts of what he is saying and then its going by so fast to make it worse. Didn't get much from that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

You can always use the options to slow it down. I watched it on 1.5x and had no issue understanding, so this seems like a you thing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:37 pm For now though, I'm doing my best not to get sunburned down here in Mexico.
Failed.
Today is our last, full day at the resort. We are spending it cowering under a beach umbrella hiding in the shade.

Flight home looks like we'll be heading into some weather. Hopefully it clears before our final leg.
We are scheduled to land at midnight Sunday and I have to be at work at 7am Monday morning.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Brian wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:16 am We are scheduled to land at midnight Sunday and I have to be at work at 7am Monday morning.
I absolutely cannot take trips that end like that (not even as horrible as that). It entirely spoils the last few days of the trip and serves as a massive haunting probably the entire time.

I will take an extra day off, or get myself home on Friday/Saturday - otherwise I honestly wouldn't even go on the trip.

I'm (only now, late in life) highly stressed by 'pending events' that have scheduled times and tickets.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:26 am I'm (only now, late in life) highly stressed by 'pending events' that have scheduled times and tickets.
This has been my entire life, but it doesn't require a ticket. I bend over backwards to limit scheduled commitments of any sort, as they tend to leave me on edge for hours or days in advance. It's one of the two 'issues' I've never been able to get a handle on (the other is my extreme discomfort with phone calls with people I don't know well.)
Brian

Post by Brian »

I honestly am not stressing too much about it. The team I work with can easily handle my absence should it come to that and I have an excellent boss.

The only pain point for me if I were to miss a day is that I'm all out of PTO days.

That said, the next time we come here, I'm going to do the same thing we do with cruises and fly in a day early.
By the time we got to the resort from the airport, it was 4pm and half a day gone
At $500/night, that's a significant loss on the first day.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Brian wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:16 am
Brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:37 pm For now though, I'm doing my best not to get sunburned down here in Mexico.
Failed.
Today is our last, full day at the resort. We are spending it cowering under a beach umbrella hiding in the shade.
ummm when i tried that on the Cuban beach, the sunlight reflected off the sand around me and i got minor sunburn anyways...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Currently on a recliner by the pool and under an umbrella.

That will change shortly as the foam party is about to start and that is not to be missed.