Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, I've had that wishlisted for a bit now - it looks really good.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:48 pm Finished 4th stage without dying. It was not easier :D

Now just the (very short) final stage and final boss who I have yet to beat even once. He's kind of a jerk compared to the rest of the game, but I've made it halfway through the second stage so it's only a matter of time now.
Beat Yang (final boss) last night on my second try. Realized there was a semi-baitable move that he telegraphs so I can punish him fairly regularly on, which helped immensely.

Now I can practice on him in training (once you beat a mob the first time, you can practice on them in a training feature). That should help reduce my deaths significantly.

Did not get the "good" ending.
Spoiler:
You get scolded for letting your anger get the better of you and killing your father's killers. You need to spare them to get the "good" ending
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember that the Thing game got a lot of traction on GG and early OO back in the day. Looks like there's a remaster on the way from Nightdive (who made their name remastering old games.)

What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This could be pretty cool. I played and finished the game years ago. I tried to replay it once but if I remember correctly it seemed to be buggy or had trouble running it. Maybe I had changed PCs by then. Dont know. But I loved the original when I played it the first time through.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Im a bilingual. A bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GOG offers a pragmatic solution to bequeathing your game library...

You can inherit a dead relative’s GOG account—if you have a court order
A few weeks ago, we called some attention to the legal difficulty of passing on your digital Steam game library after you die. While Valve hasn't responded to a request for comment on the matter, PC gaming platform GOG tells Ars that it is ready and willing to help users transfer their accounts in the event of their death.

As long as they bring a court order, that is.

"In general, your GOG account and GOG content is not transferable," GOG spokesperson Zuzanna Rybacka tells Ars. "However, if you can obtain a copy of a court order that specifically entitles someone to your GOG personal account, the digital content attached to it, taking into account the EULAs of specific games within it, and that specifically refers to your GOG username or at least email address used to create such an account, we’d do our best to make it happen."
However... <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>
Separate from handing down the account itself, though, GOG's long-standing policy of offering downloadable games without any DRM protection makes handing down GOG games themselves into a relatively simple matter. "GOG game builds are DRM-free and offline installers are included with each purchase," Rybacka said. "That way, if someone wants to save their offline games on, for example, an external hard drive, they will be preserved regardless of the account ownership."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:21 pm GOG offers a pragmatic solution to bequeathing your game library...

You can inherit a dead relative’s GOG account—if you have a court order
A few weeks ago, we called some attention to the legal difficulty of passing on your digital Steam game library after you die. While Valve hasn't responded to a request for comment on the matter, PC gaming platform GOG tells Ars that it is ready and willing to help users transfer their accounts in the event of their death.

As long as they bring a court order, that is.

"In general, your GOG account and GOG content is not transferable," GOG spokesperson Zuzanna Rybacka tells Ars. "However, if you can obtain a copy of a court order that specifically entitles someone to your GOG personal account, the digital content attached to it, taking into account the EULAs of specific games within it, and that specifically refers to your GOG username or at least email address used to create such an account, we’d do our best to make it happen."
However... <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>
Separate from handing down the account itself, though, GOG's long-standing policy of offering downloadable games without any DRM protection makes handing down GOG games themselves into a relatively simple matter. "GOG game builds are DRM-free and offline installers are included with each purchase," Rybacka said. "That way, if someone wants to save their offline games on, for example, an external hard drive, they will be preserved regardless of the account ownership."
this seemed self-evident to me. download the DRM-free installer binaries from your own account and it's equivalent to possessing the original CD-ROM/DVD-ROM install media...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It is, unless someone just didn't think to do it. What struck me as noteworthy is that the GOG spokesperson actually said it to the reporter. Pointing out that they offer a simple way to sidestep the thorny legal issue of license transfers is unusually straight-forward for a corporate talking head.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A couple smaller PS5 titles I've been spending some time with over the past week.

Lost Eidolons - This is Fire Emblem with more of a dark fantasy theme instead of anime. The strategic combat is nearly identical, as is the base and relationship building that you do between missions. If you want to play Fire Emblem but don't have a Switch, this is your answer.

I've actually been very pleasantly surprised at how good it looks and how interesting both the strategic battles and the army-building aspects have been. There's an overarching story about a group of ragtag mercenaries who join a larger army and to stage a rebellion that is surprisingly deep on lore and plot. It's not Final Fantasy Tactics level of storytelling, but is pretty enjoyable and is keeping me engaged. It does start a little slow, with most of the character development options not really opening up until 4-5 hours in. But once they do, there are a ton of advanced classes and training mechanics that allow you to develop a really cohesive party that compliments each others strengths very well. It makes the strategic battles interesting and increasingly complex. My guess is that I'll likely get burned out on that complexity before the end, but it's been fun so far.

It looks great, the voice work is really good, and it's just a really solid package all around. I'm quite surprised that it's received literally promotion anywhere (I only heard about it because I googled "tactical strategy games on PS5) as it seems like a natural fit for any TBS gamer.

After Us - This is one of those "games as art" titles that I'm a sucker for. You play as Gaia, some sort of earth spirit who is charged with revitalizing a planet that has been stripped by industry and pollution. It's an absolutely gorgeous game with striking visuals that made me want to keep pushing forward just to see what the next zone looks like. Think of Journey with tougher platforming and you're mostly there. Unfortunately, it's also plagued by a few massive issues.

It commits the cardinal sin of this style of exploration game by being very obtuse about where to go next and what to do to move forward. I found myself replaying huge sections of levels simply because I had no idea WTF the game was asking me to do proceed. I almost quit an hour in when missing a jump sent me falling down and required me to backtrack for nearly 10 minutes. The game often gives only the barest hint of a clue on where to go, expecting you to find the ladder or shadowy platform hidden in the corner of a labyrinthine skyscraper all on your own.

This confusion is exacerbated by a very rudimentary and un-fun combat system. You are chased at regular intervals by these lumbering monsters who you have to shoot with your light power (?) to kill. Problem is that the controls feel mushy, there's no lock-on, and the camera is often extremely disorienting as it wildly swings around (doubly so inside buildings). If you do manage to win the combat, you're often left wondering where the hell you ended up because it's impossible to keep your bearing during battle. I also found the platforming to be incredibly challenging, but that might just be my general lack of skill in that regard.

I really wanted to like this one because the visuals, art direction, and overall aesthetic are truly amazing. Unfortunately, it gets dragged down by vague progression and crappy combat. If it would have stuck with the more casual themes of exploration (a la Journey, Abzu, Flower, etc.) I think this could have been something really special. Instead, they tried to shoehorn in more "game-y" elements that really just...don't work. Shame, really.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am constantly making "sweep the leg" comments to my daughter while watching just about anything. Usually when things get cheesy. I've been saying it a lot lately. :D

Yang (sifu final boss) in stage two swept my leg at least 20+ times last night. he rarely sweeps more than a handful of times, so I have not bothered to learn how to deal with it (yet). My daughter said you get what you deserve. She may be right.

I started out swearing but by the end I couldn't help laughing. Imagine Daniel-San having his leg swept over and over and over and over again. Just constant leg sweeping. Just stay down Daniel-San. Just. Stay. Down.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yet another movie making tycoon game has released an updated demo. I looked at the first demo and it was OK. Planned release day is June 25th, although no mention if it is Early Access or Full Release.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Legendary strategy city builder series heads back to the Roman Empire
There have been rumors for a long time about precisely where the Anno series will go next. A fan-favorite destination ripe for speculation has always been the Roman Empire, and finally it’s happening. Anno 117: Pax Romana is sending strategy players back to the second century, and even though there’s not much announced yet there’s still plenty to be excited about.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking around at all the new games posted in threads here I gotta say its a good time to be a PC gamer again.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Man, talk about rapid onset! I just went from 100 to 0 in my urge to game. I was playing Total War Warhammer 3 again, playing as Empire. I generally dislike fighting the Vampire Counts, and they were doing the usual early game swarm, where you're fighting multiple full enemy armies when you haven't been able to get your economy rolling enough to support more than one. I got annoyed and took a break, and an hour later... I have zero interest to play anything. It's the well-known feeling of the gaming slump, but damn - it came on fast!

I usually start getting twinges, install and uninstall a half a dozen titles, and then realize what it is. This time? Nope. Just Yay! Yay! Yay! Boo!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate gaming slumps. Ive had many. Im always happy when they fade or I can break them. Its time for you to step away a day or two. Take a small break. Look and do other stuff. Then start looking around at all the new stuff coming and the latest stuff out. Then take a deep look back in time to old games that have come before. Find something in all of that to dip your toes in. Dont go in planning to play love and finish it. Just plan to have a little fun and diddle around. Then a 2nd one and maybe a 3rd. By the 4th or 5th you'll find something to keep you interested longer and have more fun in. And before you know it you're back fresh and happy.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:52 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:51 pm There is now a demo for Hollywood Animal

Played the demo and this is going to be a day one purchase for me :D
I can't even get past the tutorial 😞
It says to hire a few more people. I forgot which spefic ones but I think there are 3 or 4 listed. I think its right afterhiring an HR director. No matter where I click I can't see where to hire anyone nor does it look like I can build a building. (Just in case that's what I need to do). The game went from step by step hand holding to you're on your own now kid with no warning whatsoever.
Ugh...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:40 pm I can't even get past the tutorial 😞
It says to hire a few more people. I forgot which spefic ones but I think there are 3 or 4 listed. I think its right afterhiring an HR director. No matter where I click I can't see where to hire anyone nor does it look like I can build a building. (Just in case that's what I need to do). The game went from step by step hand holding to you're on your own now kid with no warning whatsoever.
Ugh...
Hmm, I didn't have any issues. Maybe when the game is released the tutorial will be more comprehensive.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:09 am
Punisher wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:40 pm I can't even get past the tutorial 😞
Ugh...
Hmm, I didn't have any issues. Maybe when the game is released the tutorial will be more comprehensive.
While it very well could be my brain issues, it's starting to look like a bug.. Will try again tomorrow
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With Steam Next Fest in progress, I have so many demos downloaded to try. I find that demos are more useful to me to convince me to not keep a game on my wishlist, rather than convince me to buy it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Space Company Simulator

$19.99 90% off now $1.99
Take the position of a CEO of a space transport company and become a new major player in the industry. Space Company Simulator is a realistic management sim game that will challenge your planning skills as you strive to launch the first manned mission to Mars.
Space Company Simulator -Steam link
Enlarge Image

2019 trailer
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:23 am Space Company Simulator

$19.99 90% off now $1.99
Take the position of a CEO of a space transport company and become a new major player in the industry. Space Company Simulator is a realistic management sim game that will challenge your planning skills as you strive to launch the first manned mission to Mars.
Space Company Simulator -Steam link
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't see that. But it is just $2 bucks hehehe
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:01 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:48 pm Finished 4th stage without dying. It was not easier :D

Now just the (very short) final stage and final boss who I have yet to beat even once. He's kind of a jerk compared to the rest of the game, but I've made it halfway through the second stage so it's only a matter of time now.
Beat Yang (final boss) last night on my second try. Realized there was a semi-baitable move that he telegraphs so I can punish him fairly regularly on, which helped immensely.

Now I can practice on him in training (once you beat a mob the first time, you can practice on them in a training feature). That should help reduce my deaths significantly.

Did not get the "good" ending.
Spoiler:
You get scolded for letting your anger get the better of you and killing your father's killers. You need to spare them to get the "good" ending
Yang spared. Good ending achieved.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:44 am I didn't see that. But it is just $2 bucks hehehe
"Unplayable"

As someone that routinely rage-quits games, and often has a lack of things like groceries, I would like to strongly suggest that that "$2 bucks" could be better spent.

Also, it's $2 because they have already scammed everyone that was willing to pay more. This is a last ditch effort to scam a bit more money before bailing completely. Don't be that person. Just.... don't.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Besides, is it really a Space Company Simulator (such a lazy title) if it doesn't even let you buy a social media platform to manipulate public opinion ahead of national elections in order to preserve your government subsidies?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:35 am I find that demos are more useful to me to convince me to not keep a game on my wishlist, rather than convince me to buy it.
Which is why AAA developers quit bothering with them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:46 am Yang spared. Good ending achieved.
Played through the entire game in a single playthrough, no restarts.

stage 1: 0 deaths
stage 2: 1 death (including new high score, which I wasn't trying for)
stage 3: 1 death
stage 4: 4 (maybe 5) deaths (including one in the first area, and another just before killing blow on boss. Lol)
stage 5: so many deaths

Still, I feel like that's a bit of an accomplishment for me.

I've started a fresh save file on hardest difficulty available. Stage 1 wasn't bad, but all bosses have their movesets changed, including some really cheap ass stuff :D Working my way through stage 3 now, and unlocking moves again. Enjoying it, as I'm missing some key moves so I need to take better advantage of basic mechanics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I've thought of a name for my next character in some game...Lil' Dicky Doolittle. Even better if it's a porn tycoon game.

EDIT: Oh oh! I got another one....Doofus Danger! When its dangerous and stupid, theres Doofus Danger!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:50 am
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:46 am Yang spared. Good ending achieved.
Played through the entire game in a single playthrough, no restarts.

stage 1: 0 deaths
stage 2: 1 death (including new high score, which I wasn't trying for)
stage 3: 1 death
stage 4: 4 (maybe 5) deaths (including one in the first area, and another just before killing blow on boss. Lol)
stage 5: so many deaths

Still, I feel like that's a bit of an accomplishment for me.

I've started a fresh save file on hardest difficulty available. Stage 1 wasn't bad, but all bosses have their movesets changed, including some really cheap ass stuff :D Working my way through stage 3 now, and unlocking moves again. Enjoying it, as I'm missing some key moves so I need to take better advantage of basic mechanics.
Well, I don't think Master difficulty is for me. I'm pretty sloppy in my play so I take a lot of chip damage and the occasional punch to the face, and the damage on this difficulty is hard to overcome. It's still fun, but I'm having trouble progressing with a young enough age that I can move forward while still learning the new movesets. Progress has stalled at the final boss of stage 3, who was always a pain in the butt but now seems to have less punish opportunities.

Oh well, I have put in a lot of time at this point, might be time to try something new.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone have info on this? It just released on Steam after being on Epic. For a limited time, buy the game and all the existing DLC is available for free. I'm a solo player myself but it does supposedly have a single player campaign.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any rogue anything insta kills a game for me. Just dont care for it. Otherwise this looked like a winner. Sorta GTA'ish.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Metacritic: Metascore 51, User Score 5.4

I vaguely recall it being panned, but not what the specific criticisms were. Leveraging FOMO by giving away the DLC for a limited time, while supplies last feels like a big ol' red flag, though.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:26 pm Metacritic: Metascore 51, User Score 5.4

I vaguely recall it being panned, but not what the specific criticisms were. Leveraging FOMO by giving away the DLC for a limited time, while supplies last feels like a big ol' red flag, though.
The Metacritic reviews seem to be all more than a year old and the game has apparently been in development since then. The DLC deal is good till July 11th so I'll keep checking the Steam reviews for awhile... or I might grab it since I'm in something of a gaming funk right now :roll:

Not sure where you got that "while supplies last" comment. Did I miss something?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:49 pm Not sure where you got that "while supplies last" comment. Did I miss something?
"For a limited time only, while supplies last" is standard ad copy to influence people to make impulse purchases for fear of missing out. It was apparently not as obvious a joke as I intended. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:57 pm Anyone have info on this? It just released on Steam after being on Epic. For a limited time, buy the game and all the existing DLC is available for free. I'm a solo player myself but it does supposedly have a single player campaign.

In case anyone is interested, it is also available on Green Man Gaming for a more significant discount, -36% off for me as I am a gold tier member.

UPDATE: By the way, for folks wondering why so many people who are doing Steam reviews for this game are showing "Product received for free", apparently if you got it through Epic on some special deal you also go a free Steam key from the publisher.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm playing Saint's Row the reboot. The graphics aren't as cutting edge, but I'm still having fun with it. A bit slower than I expected, but few things can be as insane as the matrix-style combat of SRIV. I do enjoy the motivations to expand the criminal empire.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found this on Steam. Dont know anything about it. It gets mixed to very positive reviews.

Police Simulator: Patrol Officers 35% off for $19.49 right now.

Enlarge Image

Welcome to Brighton! Join the police force of this fictitious American city and experience the day to day life of a police officer.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So all these decades of playing video games and I still enjoy them but I don't have that trance like state, desire, and ability to sit in and play for hours and hours at a time any more. I'da thought with retirement would have come sitting in front of the computer and playing for long stretches like I used to from the 70s through the 90s. I mean, working saw me sitting at a computer for hours at a time with long stretches and decompressing after work often saw me going to video gaming. But here I am two years out of work and I find myself enjoying, say finally getting Civ VI complete, but I rarely sit and take more than 10 or 15 turns at a time before taking a break from the game and either doing something "productive" or just getting away from sitting and sitting a computer screen. It's like I've gotten to promised land, and when 'meh.' That's just like me. Getting what I've always wanted and then not wanting it so much any more.

I'm still getting in 30+ turns of Civ VI in a day but not in a sitting. And 30 turns used to be about what it would it take to start to get rolling. I tried a controller based game *Roots of Patcha*, and can't sit for 15 minutes which is how it runs from save to save, so those might be a thing of the past. I tried a passive game, *Gladiator Guild*, and I can't get into it. So it might be TBS from here on out for me. I'll try some others some time, but right it looks like all Civ VI but only for a little bit at a time.

(I do play on BGA quite a bit, which is for all intents and purposes a bunch of micro TBS)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I hear you. I did some counting, and figure I have about 11 games active right now in various states of "doneness". These are games that I haven't quite thrown in the towel yet. So they don't belong in the abandoned thread... yet.

The ones that seem to actually absorb my attention the most lately are the VR games. Which likely isn't surprising.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.