Books Read 2024

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hipolito

Re: Books Read 2024

Post by Hipolito »

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (audiobook): For the first half of this book, I was completely hooked. It had an amazing story with a huge wow moment in practically every chapter. It went further than the author's more well-known book The Martian by using science to not only solve problems but also reveal mysteries, and managed to be even more funny and endearing in the process.

For the second half, the wow moments were as impactful but fewer in number and the explanation of math and engineering was excessive. For example, there's an entire paragraph about sealing a puncture with epoxy. It describes how hot the epoxy was and how long it had to be held in place to allow it to seal. It could have just said "I epoxied the hole" and moved on. I know many readers love these details, but I mentally checked out and waited for the next plot development.

An advantage The Martian has over this book is that it requires much less suspension of disbelief. A big part of The Martian's appeal, I think, is that we could actually accomplish what was done in it today. Project Hail Mary is far more speculative, but asks really cool questions and answers them plausibly.

While I don't think this book deserves classic status as much as The Martian does, it's a worthwhile read. I'm glad I went into it knowing nothing about the story and that I went for the excellent audiobook version. 6 out of 8 burritos.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I concur with your Mexican food analysis.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I loved that book. Really quite an imaginative setup and the alien was really well thought out. It actually reminded me of the classic sci-fi from the golden age, where a lot of it was big ideas. I've heard there's a movie on the way with Ryan Reynolds as the main character. Though, I worry about how much of it will be depicted since most of the development throughout the story is via the language.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rumpy wrote:I've heard there's a movie on the way with Ryan Reynolds as the main character. Though, I worry about how much of it will be depicted since most of the development throughout the story is via the language.
Actually, the movie will star Ryan Gosling (not Reynolds) and it's being directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller...the two guys responsible for writing Lego Movie 1 & 2 and Spiderman: Across the Spider verse. The script was written by Drew Goddard who directed Cabin In the Woods. I have really high hopes as long as they can pull off a good depiction of Rocky...
Last edited by disarm on Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

disarm wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 am
Rumpy wrote:I've heard there's a movie on the way with Ryan Reynolds as the main character. Though, I worry about how much of it will be depicted since most of the development throughout the story is via the language.
Actually, the movie will star Ryan Gosling (not Reynolds) and it's being directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller...the two guys responsible for writing Lego Movie 1 & 2 and Spiderman: Across the Spider verse. The script was written by Drew Goddard who directed Cabin In the Woods[/]. I have really high hopes as long as they can pull off a good depiction of Rocky...

Heh, I knew at least it was one of the Ryans. For whatever reason, I get both of them mixed up. And they're both Canadian, go figure. Ok, so yeah, that does fill me with a bit more hope. And +1 on Rocky. He was an awesome character. The key to the movie will definitely be in how they depict that character.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Decision at Thunder Rift by William H. Keith Jr. - BattleTech: The Saga of the Gray Death Legion Part 1
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Teixcalaan, Book 1: A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (audiobook): this space opera novel follows Mahit, a young woman who lives on a space station that is a sovereign entity. She is appointed to replace Yskander, the station's ambassador to the massive Teixcalaan space empire.

She has a brain implant that is supposed to contain Yskander's memories, which would allow her to not only access Yskander's knowledge but also have conversations with his personality. However, because Yskander has not returned to the station for a long time, she is missing the last 15 years of Yskander's memories. So she's operating at a disadvantage while trying to integrate into Teixcalaan society, convince the empire not to annex her space station, and find Yskander.

This book has won the Hugo Award and just about every sci-fi BookTuber says it's a must-read. I do like some aspects of it. Teixcalaan's fascinating culture reveres poetry (even its emergency broadcast announcements are in verse) and gives its children names like Five Agate and Six Direction. (What's your Teixcalaan name? Mine is Forty-Two Towel.) The book thoughtfully explores linguistics, relationships, and society through Mahit's eyes and ears. Mahit has an interesting inner conflict as someone who adores Teixcalaan even while knowing it doesn't have her people's best interests in mind. I particularly liked the cheerful, dry wit of Three Seagrass, Mahit's liaison to the empire.

But I didn't much enjoy the reading experience. Mahit's extensive internal dialogue makes for a slow read and the plot is ultimately not that interesting. The highfalutin prose, which uses words like "synecdoche," doesn't do well in audiobook format. Comparing this book to other stories of space diplomacy, I like The Left Hand of Darkness more and the interactive fiction game Floatpoint much more.

I think A Memory Called Empire would have worked better as a short story or novella. I doubt I'll be reading the sequel, A Desolation Called Peace, which also won the Hugo! 3 out of 8 infofiche sticks sealed with wax.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

After finishing Wheel of Time... early this year (I think), I took a couple of months during which reading was relegated to an occasional moment, then decided that I needed something light as a palate cleanser. I went with The Belgariad, something I hadn't read since I was young. It's a very well-known fantasy series, hugely influential and still regularly recommended. I was hesitant given what I've learned about the author ( :shock: ), but I gave it a shot anyway. It was... ok. I found the dialogue awkward and the characterizations 100% trope-based.

In any case, I'm done with that.

Next up, and not certain which to go with:

The Witcher (I read the first two books probably 15 years ago)
Cosmere (Mistborn, specifically)
Discworld (I have bounced off of it three times, but have since found that 'chronological' is a terrible approach to reading - I'm going with a recommendation to start with the City Watch books.)

Others are in the 'unfinished business' category:

I have been wanting to go back and reread/finish the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust (a favorite that I'm years behind on), but just found out that its two novels from being complete. I'll wait until then.

I've been wanting to go back to Alan Dean Foster's Humanx novels (which includes Pip & Flinx) for years now, but keep holding off for the same reason - he keeps putting out more.

A third series I've been considering revisiting is Robert Asprin's Myth series (taken up by Jody Lynn Nye after his death.) Again, I read them decades ago, but I'm way behind. It hasn't officially ended, but it's not really the type of series where continuity is vital.
What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If you like Alan Dean Foster, consider Split Infinity by Piers Anthony. One of my all time favorites.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:05 pm If you like Alan Dean Foster, consider Split Infinity by Piers Anthony. One of my all time favorites.

The Apprentice Adept series, you mean. ;) I read that in high school, and again a few years later, right alongside the Incarnations of Immortality. Both were great - I've actually got Apprentice Adept on my Kindle for when the mood strikes. But even in high school I couldn't get through more than four or five of the Xanth novels.
What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2) by Terry Pratchett (ebook): This is the only direct sequel in the Discworld series. I found book 1 flawed but likeable. This one, though, was a mess. The below has what may be considered spoilers in that it implies who survives.

Book 2 starts out by resolving book 1's cliffhanger with a deus ex machina. Although there is much less perspective shifting this time, the story still feels too random. I felt as uncomfortable as Rincewind himself. And I don't think the new characters Cohen and Bethan are as interesting as their similar book 1 counterparts Hrun and Liessa. It was a real slog to read.

I did like:
  • The passage on page 11 about the law against inaccuracies in writing. This was a nice way to lampshade the author's annoying style of prose.
  • What we learn about the spell in Rincewind's head.
  • The troll encounter.
  • The climax and denouement.
I do look forward to more adventures of Rincewind 'n' pals. And now that I'm done with the books most fans say not to start with, I'm excited to continue to book 3. 3 out of 8 horse d'oeuvres.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Another batch finished:

The Pallbearers Club - Paul Tremblay - I have such a weird relationship with Paul Tremblay books. On one hand, he occasionally comes up with scenes or sentences that chill me to the bone in a way few horror authors have been able to get to me. On the other hand, I also occasionally find his plots a bit obtuse. This was a case of the latter - a strange tale about a guy's memoir of a friend he knew in high school who may or may not have been some sort of supernatural being (along with her notes as to where his memories were wrong). Liked it, not sure I loved it.

The Searchers - Alan Le May - I'd put this in the category of "the movie was better than the book." Even though it's a classic Western novel, I found it rather dry and pedestrian. I love a good Western novel, but I've read many others that aren't considered classics that I enjoyed much more than this one.

The Spine of the World - R.A. Salvatore - The Drizzt novels continue to get more mature and dark with this entry. I've really enjoyed getting out of the sort of "middle school" phase of Drizzt and into some meatier content that isn't just about "Drizzt went here and killed this monster, then he went here and he killed this monster." This trilogy has been very entertaining.

Mort (Discworld #4) - Terry Pratchett - The first of the "Death" novels. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, as Death was one of my favorite characters from the earlier books. Had a lot of fun with this one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:39 pm Just started The Defector, the followup up The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield. In this one he uses his experience as both a test pilot and fighter pilot to write a top-gun like story set during an alternate history Earth.

So, I finished this, and while I can say I liked it, I didn't love it like I did with The Apollo Murders, and I really wanted to like it more than I did. I think it's because it kind of feels rushed. There's a shell of a good idea there in its concept, but I don't feel it's fully explored. Thus the turnabout about midway through feels like it comes out of nowhere, as the readers have no probable cause. And then there are plot points that feel like seeds for a future novel, that are mentioned here and there but never elaborated on before being dropped altogether. I hate to say it, but I felt disappointed in the end-result. This one didn't resonate with me the same way The Apollo Murders did.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:23 am

The Searchers - Alan Le May - I'd put this in the category of "the movie was better than the book." Even though it's a classic Western novel, I found it rather dry and pedestrian. I love a good Western novel, but I've read many others that aren't considered classics that I enjoyed much more than this one.

i made sure some years ago to read the three 'classic 'essential' westerns:

Shane - Jack Schaefer : this was actually a good, dare is say, 'fun', read. it's a great old YA book.

Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey : more like _Writers of the Purple Prose_, amirite ... it was definitely flowery in its environmental descriptions

The Virginian - Owen Wister : this was fine, but i don't remember much about it
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No Hank the Cowdog?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Lonesome Dove books by Larry McMurtry are probably my favorite westerns I've ever read, followed closely by the Titus Bass series by Terry C. Johnston.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:05 pm consider Split Infinity by Piers Anthony. One of my all time favorites.
I enjoyed the whole series, the premise was quite creative and he didn't flog it to death like he did the Xanth series (his space opera series was also very good).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The System of the World by Neal Stephenson

This is volume 3, the final volume of the Baroque Cycle. I suppose it is called "volume" because the three volumes were originally released as 9 books, then apparently re-released as three volumes. I think maybe this is Stephenson at his best. Sure, it is overly long and at times he makes things complicated but the characters in this series carried the day. The series takes place between roughly 1670 and 1714, and you get a real look into what life in London must have been like. And no, if I could go back in time I don't think that is where I would want to go.

The main characters, Eliza, Jack and Daniel Waterhouse take turns dominating the story with a cadre of lesser characters who are just as memorable. The book is at turns an adventure, a history, a lesson in coinage and the English economy, and also very funny. And maybe because I have grown used to Stephenson I found this to be one of his easier reads.

I recommend this to anyone who likes a good story and who wants a little history with their reading.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Another batch down:

Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses: Roger Corman, King of the B Movie - Chris Nashawaty and John Landis - This was a fun retrospective of Roger Corman's career told by the people who worked with him and occasionally the man himself. Because this book was published several years ago, it was interesting to see some interviews from people who are no longer with us. Also filled with a lot of posters and publicity stills from his films.

A Curious Beginning - Deanna Raybourn - I picked this up on an absolute whim because I liked the Victorian era time period, and I was quite blown away. The protagonist, Veronica Speedwell, is a wonderfully drawn character, and her relationship with her reluctant partner Stoker is reminiscent of other "will they/won't they" pairings like The X-Files' Mulder & Scully. While it's not my usual cup of tea, the author really won me over with her characters and brisk pacing. Definitely plan on continuing the series.

Sea of Swords - R.A. Salvatore - The conclusion of the Paths of Darkness trilogy, which sees things neatly wrapped up and our characters in a position to start a whole new set of adventures. Enjoyed this one quite a bit, as I've already remarked on how the writing and plots were continuing to improve at this point in the series.

Sourcery - Terry Pratchett - Possibly my favorite of the Discworld books so far, this one sees the return of Rincewind and the very fabric of magic being flipped on its head. Entertaining and another step forward for the series.

Books of Blood Vol. 1 - Clive Barker
Books of Blood Vol. 2 - Clive Barker - I'll lump these together. I'm actually reading "The Complete Books of Blood" which gathers all 6 volumes in one unbroken anthology, but decided to count them as separate books since that was how they were originally published. I've always been a big Clive Barker fan, even if his writing occasionally got a bit intellectual for me. His short stories, however, tend to be a bit more accessible than his novels. Really enjoyed both of these.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Two-fer of books I read with my daughter, both of which relate to kids who are social outcasts, but for very different reasons.

First is Wonder by R.J. Palacio. This is the story of August Pullman and his family. Auggie was born with significant facial deformities, and his parents homeschooled him until 5th grade both because of medical issues (lots of related surgeries) and for fear of how we would be accepted. His older sister Olivia is starting high school, and she's a fierce defender of her brother. Most of Auggie's friends from his early childhood have drifted away for one reason or another, so the principal of his school arranges to have some other fifth graders show him around a bit. One of them turns out to be an Eddie Haskell type of jerk (parents/teachers love him, but he's not a nice guy when they're not around), but another one of them becomes Auggie's friend.

Auggie has a hard time fitting in, and the book is told from the viewpoint of various characters in different sections. It spans the course of the school year, and while it's sometimes a bit simplistic, it's good for a tween audience. Wonder ends on a total high note. I haven't seen the movie (with Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson as Auggie's parents), but my daughter watched it after we finished and liked it.

The second is Stargirl by prolific youth author Jerry Spinelli. Our narrator is 17 year old Leo, who tells of a new student at his small-town Arizona high school. She's previously homeschooled, but she makes herself known right away in her first school experience. She goes by Stargirl (not her real name, but her parents don't mind), she plays ukelele versions of happy birthday to other students during lunch, she puts a tablecloth and sunflower on her desk before class, and she carries around her pet rat. At first she's a sensation, but the popular girl doesn't like her and turns the school against her. Leo is smitten and the two become an item. Leo tries to get her to act "normal", and she tries. The end is a bit ambiguous. Stargirl never really gets accepted, but she definitely leaves her mark.

I love Spinelli's writing for kids. It's more artful than a lot of YA writing, and he doesn't dumb it down for his audience. While many plot elements were not exactly realistic, the characters' reactions to them felt honest. There's a movie version of this, too, but it's not currently free streaming anywhere.

Both books are good for the younger set. Wonder is more feel good, but Stargirl is probably better overall. One item I feel I have to mention is use of the "R word" by Wonder. Surprisingly, it's used by Auggie in an angry declaration to his parents that he's not an R word. While it's not unrealistic for a kid that age to use that word, it's disappointing that Palacio didn't address it. The reader is left with the impression that there are no issues with using the word and that, in fact, Auggie would be less if he were intellectually disabled. In a book that is otherwise about acceptance and seeing the real person beyond a disability or difference, it was out of place and not handled well.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:06 pm by prolific youth author Jerry Spinelli
i read _Space Station Seventh Grade_ back in... seventh grade, and in terms of vulgar language used, it was the edgiest YA book i had ever read at that point (i looked it up just now and it was written in 1982! currently 83 years old and still releasing YA novels...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Station_Seventh_Grade wrote:The novel was intended for adults but became a young adult novel instead.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've found myself REALLY missing physical books lately. I've bought Kindle titles almost exclusively for the past 10 years or so. I've convinced myself over the last decade that physical books are too expensive and take up too much space to bother with.

But the convenience of ebooks has come at a great cost. I no longer feel excited to go into a bookstore, as it feels more like a museum where I'm allowed to look but not buy anything. Gone is the thrill of judging a book by its cover and purchasing it on a whim. I miss holding it in my hands and carrying it around.

I think the biggest loss, however, is the loss of appreciation for what I've read. I go through ebooks like toilet paper - they're disposable. I buy them with a click, I read them rapidly, they're forgotten. Often I wait to buy ebooks on sale, so there's no real monetary investment to make them more valuable to me. Who cares about a book I spent $2 on and can't even hold in my hand or put on the shelf? I look back to when I was younger, when I paid full price for a book in the bookstore and that's all I focused on until it was done because I had invested both time and money in to choosing it. Man, I miss those days.

So while I'll continue reading my Kindle, I am planning on buying physical books again. I watch YouTubers that do book reviews and seeing all their neatly shelved fantasy series just made me completely heartsick for the days when my shelves looked like that.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My wife and daughter have both done ebooks and audiobooks. I haven’t done either. For some reason a real printed on paper book means more to me. It also makes it much easier to keep track of what I have and haven’t read.

We are going to Portland in September to visit my oldest daughter and going back to Powell’s Bookstore will be one of the highlights of the trip.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:24 pm Sourcery - Terry Pratchett - Possibly my favorite of the Discworld books so far, this one sees the return of Rincewind and the very fabric of magic being flipped on its head. Entertaining and another step forward for the series.
Oook.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:44 pm The System of the World by Neal Stephenson

This is volume 3, the final volume of the Baroque Cycle. I suppose it is called "volume" because the three volumes were originally released as 9 books, then apparently re-released as three volumes.

Interestingly, while I've seen reference to 9 individual books, I've never actually seen it that way in the wild, so it's possible it was only released in certain markets that way, where thick volumes would be seen as more intimidating. But seeing as shelf space is precious, it likely would have been a challenge to keep all volumes in stock.

But yes, this is peak Neal Stephenson. I would group Cryptonomicon + The Baroque Cycle together due to their shared history, and put those at the top along with Anathem.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:20 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:44 pm The System of the World by Neal Stephenson

This is volume 3, the final volume of the Baroque Cycle. I suppose it is called "volume" because the three volumes were originally released as 9 books, then apparently re-released as three volumes.

Interestingly, while I've seen reference to 9 individual books, I've never actually seen it that way in the wild, so it's possible it was only released in certain markets that way, where thick volumes would be seen as more intimidating. But seeing as shelf space is precious, it likely would have been a challenge to keep all volumes in stock.
other countries will release bricks as separate volumes - the US market likes to cram it all into one mass-market paperback tome that will inevitably split the spine due to the sheer weight of the pages.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:02 pm I've found myself REALLY missing physical books lately. I've bought Kindle titles almost exclusively for the past 10 years or so. I've convinced myself over the last decade that physical books are too expensive and take up too much space to bother with.

But the convenience of ebooks has come at a great cost. I no longer feel excited to go into a bookstore, as it feels more like a museum where I'm allowed to look but not buy anything. Gone is the thrill of judging a book by its cover and purchasing it on a whim. I miss holding it in my hands and carrying it around.

I think the biggest loss, however, is the loss of appreciation for what I've read. I go through ebooks like toilet paper - they're disposable. I buy them with a click, I read them rapidly, they're forgotten. Often I wait to buy ebooks on sale, so there's no real monetary investment to make them more valuable to me. Who cares about a book I spent $2 on and can't even hold in my hand or put on the shelf? I look back to when I was younger, when I paid full price for a book in the bookstore and that's all I focused on until it was done because I had invested both time and money in to choosing it. Man, I miss those days.

So while I'll continue reading my Kindle, I am planning on buying physical books again. I watch YouTubers that do book reviews and seeing all their neatly shelved fantasy series just made me completely heartsick for the days when my shelves looked like that.
one can absolutely make room for purchases for 'special occasions'. one example i wrote about last year, but when in Amsterdam at the big 'English-language bookstore' American Book Center, i found a slipcase Canadian pressing of Cormac McCarthy's _The Passenger/Stella Maris_ still in the shrinkwrap. i took a bit of a gamble, and when i checked it later, they were indeed a first edition (and this was months after McCarthy's death - there's no way you would have still found these on the bookstore shelf in the US at that time). and last time i was in Europe, i made a purchase of Ursula K. LeGuin's _The Word for World is Forest_ at "Science Fiction Bokhandeln" in Malmo, SE and a book set in Prague at a bookstore in Prague (as well as a copy of Mikhail Bulgakov's _The Master and Margarita). i try to make these purchases priorities so they're just not languishing forever on the shelf, unread.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

But yes, this is peak Neal Stephenson. I would group Cryptonomicon + The Baroque Cycle together due to their shared history, and put those at the top along with Anathem.
I have been told that it was originally released as three books, then released as eight books (apparently not nine like I thought) and then re-released as three books.

Apparently the eight book series did not do well.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:27 pm

other countries will release bricks as separate volumes - the US market likes to cram it all into one mass-market paperback tome that will inevitably split the spine due to the sheer weight of the pages.
Looking at you, To Green Angel Tower, Parts 1 and 2!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:46 pm

I have been told that it was originally released as three books, then released as eight books (apparently not nine like I thought) and then re-released as three books.

Apparently the eight book series did not do well.
Yeah, I'm not surprised when shelf space is at a premium. Bookstores like to carry less of an author when possible, and if they have to carry 8 books that are all part of the same story, that'd be a hard sell when they can carry one larger tome.

Like, when I was reading Patrick O'Brian which I think has 19 novels, they only had a few non-sequentially in our local big chain bookstore and I would have had to order more in if I wanted to keep reading the series. I didn't because it became more of a hassle.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill v1, Visions of Glory, 1874–1932
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My Effin' Life by Geddy Lee (audiobook): I'm only an occasional Rush fan at best, but I've always admired their creativity, musicianship, and lyrical pizzazz. This book is the frontman's autobiography. Geddy assumes you're already familiar with Rush's oeuvre, but even non-fans can enjoy the book.

In fact, I consider the first three chapters to be required reading for everyone, whether you care about Rush or not. That's because they go into Geddy's complex experience being a Jew and the son of Holocaust survivors. He gives a detailed account of his mother's experience in the death camps. It's so poignant and enlightening how he expresses his complicated feelings about his identity. We would live in a much better world if everyone understood and empathized with this point of view.

The rest of the book is about Geddy becoming a musician, forming Rush, and their amazing 40-year journey. How much you enjoy this depends on how much you're into Rush and rock biographies in general. Geddy does the audiobook narration, with occasional excerpts by others like guitarist Alex Lifeson. I like Geddy's corny humor and how he chuckles at his memories. And he's refreshingly honest about his faults, like how he holds onto grudges; he has choice words for people going all the way back to his childhood.

And the drugs. My God, the drugs. I had naively thought Rush was a clean-cut band, and perhaps they were better-behaved than most rock stars. But they partook to profound levels. I think they were lucky that drugs and other near brushes with disaster didn't cut their career short.

There are lots of other surprises, like Geddy being so dissatisfied with the "Tom Sawyer" recording that he thought it might be better to omit it from the album! I do wish that he spent more time explaining each album and all the major songs; but, as he mentions, if he did that, that would have made the book too long. And the book is his autobiography, after all, not just about Rush. So some albums get short shrift, but this allows room for Geddy to expound on other things like his interest in visual arts, the band members' deep friendship and incredible synergy in studio and on stage, and life's all-too-familiar struggles with family, health, and tragic loss.

The audiobook ends with two songs: "Gone" and "I Am...You Are," both outtakes from Geddy's solo album My Favorite Headache. My progress toward finishing the book was delayed because it often sent me on YouTube deep dives for songs, live performances, reaction videos, and interviews. I'm thinking of streaming one of Rush's concert movies, maybe R40 Live. 6 out of 8 Rickenbacker bass guitars.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:24 pm Sourcery - Terry Pratchett - Possibly my favorite of the Discworld books so far, this one sees the return of Rincewind and the very fabric of magic being flipped on its head. Entertaining and another step forward for the series.
Oook.
Also completed.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Finished Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I started this book over 10 years ago when I still traveled for business relatively frequently and would spend airport and plane time reading old-school paper books. Then my wife was pregnant with twins and I managed to get out of most travel. Despite being about 300 pages in, I put the book aside for a bit always meaning to get back to it. This year, I actually got back to it. Of course, I had to re-start from the beginning. It's over 1000 pages of dense, fanciful Pynchon prose and the biggest challenge of his that I've read since Gravity's Rainbow. It starts at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and continues through the conclusion of WWI, following a large assortment of characters through North America, Europe, and Asia. Topics covered include anarchy vs. capitalism, theoretical mathematics, sexual identity, time travel, vengeance, and teenage global airship adventuring. It's a lot to process. I enjoy reading Pynchon even when I don't always understand him, and I feel like finishing this one earns me a badge of some sort.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:00 am Finished Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I started this book over 10 years ago when I still traveled for business relatively frequently and would spend airport and plane time reading old-school paper books.
i started this one when it came out (2007?) and got about... 300 pages in. it's on the shortlist of books i started but haven't yet gone back to finish (this is one of... three of them, i think). actually four, since i also started _Inherent Vice_ a few years ago and just lost interest in it.

tl;dr - half the books on my long-term incomplete list are Pynchons
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I thought Inherent Vice was one of his easier books to read because it followed an at least somewhat coherent narrative (and it lacked the huge heft of Gravity's Rainbow and Against the Day). It still got pretty weird at parts, but I liked it a lot. I thought the movie did a remarkably good job of translating it to screen, too.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I recently bought a new bookshelf, went through and organized all my existing books, and pulled out ones I haven't read to put on the to-do list.

I also bought only the second physical book I've bought in about a decade. (The first was The Power Broker by Robert A. Caro, which was unavailable on Kindle).

This one is Jade City by Fonda Lee, and it's really good so far. It's the first in a fantasy trilogy about warring factions vying for power in an Asian-inspired fantasy world where jade bestows magical properties on those who can wield it. Think Japanese Yakuza/The Godfather but with magic. Fonda said she was inspired by the old kung fu films where people did superhuman feats, and wanted to come up with a world where those powers were explained. Super entertaining.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Melchior Vischer - Second Through Brain : translated from the German, got this from a bookstore in Prague. supposedly the first dada novel, this was short and not too enjoyable. too 'tryhard' in its 'zaniness' that it became like one of those modern fantasy novels where magic can do anything and so it gets really dull with its lack of limitations. as an added bonus, the racial/sexual stereotyping did not age well

Maria Bamford - Sure, I'll Join Your Cult: A Memoir of Mental Illness and the Quest to Belong Anywhere : one of my occasional memoir reads, and this one is of (probably) my favorite living comedian. i really, really should have gone for the audiobook version.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Salman Rushdie - Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder : i was at UW Bookstore last week and this was on the Staff Recommendation shelf as "...maybe the best book he's ever written" - well, if this is his best book, i'm quite sorry to hear it. so much for 'meditations'; this is basically a 'here's what happened, then this happened, then this happened, then...' summary-style recounting of events for the most part. kinda interesting reading about the recovery process, but i was expecting more. also, he comes off as insincere, arrogant or smug most other times - how self-centered do you have to be to not see this come through your autobiographical writing?

also complains a lot about having to pay for necessary stuff (guy's estate is worth $15M, i think you can afford your HVAC replacement and your orthodontic appliance and your new Ralph Lauren suit you got to replace the other one when you got stabbed 18 times just fine...) and is just soooooo into his fourth marriage with his new wife who is 30 years younger than he is... i read some reviews and more than a few complained about the imagined 30-page dialog between him and his would-be murderer, which is, you know, kinda cheap when Salmon Ruthlessly Utters Put Downs And Destroys This Guy With Zinger Logic, but it was the most enjoyable part of the book because.. it was fiction? gonna go delete it off my Kindle now so i don't have to think about it anymore.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

a friend of mine, as of the past years, seems to be seeking out more and more niche identity politics-driven books on Goodreads than by the actual content. well, they finally got their lesbian-centered disability-centered zombie apocalypse... the official description:
When the dead prowl the streets of Oslo, survivors Kit and Shadia have to get out of there. They decide to go where the dead can’t follow–their family cabin on a remote island–but they have to fight their way out of the city first.
Facing the dangers of this new world, both living and dead, is hard enough, but the couple also has to deal with Kit’s severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. It can throw a wrench into the simplest of plans, and Kit’s fear that the sickness may be the death of her seems more a reality for every day.
Despite the odds stacked against them, Shadia and Kit are ready to fight for their survival and for each other.

Trigger Warnings: Blood and gore. Death of animal and children. Chronic illness.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/557 ... rvival-kit

and the entire content of one of the reviews:
This was awesome!! So glad I happened to find it on hoopla.

Rep: white Norwegian cis female lesbian with myalgic encephalomyelitis and uses a wheelchair, Arab-Norwegian cis female lesbian side character, white Norwegian cishet male side character, various zombie infected side characters, various Norwegian side characters.

CWs: Ableism, medical ableism, medical content (mainly flashbacks), medical trauma, chronic illness (ME and cancer), cancer, death, violence, injury/injury detail, animal death (dog). Moderate: Lesbophobia/lesbomisia, cult recruitment with vague religious vibes, gore, vomit, parasitic infection.