General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by hitbyambulance »

SMART status on this drive is good (94%). running over a year's worth of Windows Updates now; going to try some intensive games next.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ran MS Flight Simulator without issues for the very first time! (also sorta fixed the miserable download speed - i had to delete the old install and reinstall, so i had the program updated in 5 hours instead of 12) also tried Serious Sam 4 and TRAIL OUT and all worked fine - i think this is on a good trajectory, thanks for your help.

next steps are to diagnose the other HDDs i had in this system. i had purchased an M.2 drive in case this Samsung EVO 870 was bad, but since it looks fine, i can replace the old 3TB HDD (that is likely damaged - where the games formerly resided) with this.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:13 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:00 pm just wanted to say i finally got around to this (over a year later...) and yes, it turns out deleting/formatting the MBR partition _might_ be all that was needed. haven't booted into Windows yet - undergoing an automatic disk repair. this SSD may be in bad shape after the power surges. will update later...

UPDATE: 40 minutes later, it booted back to that same screen... and again... and again... then it booted into Windows?
If you're concerned about your SSD potentially failing, consider using the free and open-source CrystalDiskInfo utility.
Noice! Thanks - downloading and checking now. I have a ton of SSD's in my system and can't remember which ones are new vs old.

One is at 100% and the other at 64%.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, Windows setup can just sudden get corrupted. Before you blame your hardware, run SFC /scannow at your admin powershell and let it run through to make sure your Windows setup is okay.

I was having a weird problem that every window I open on desktop is flashing madly and system flashes between normal and "not responding". I thought it was DisplayFusion causing the problem, but disabling it didn't help. I even rolled back the NVIDIA GPU driver. Ended up doing the SFC thing and that seems to have reduced it, and turning transparency effects back on finally fixed it.

(Another tip: don't run debloater scripts without understanding what they do. Seems these debloater scripts also disabled EVERY bit of usability as if they are eyecandy, even ClearType. )
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i installed the M.2 drive (in M.2 port #1 of 2) and it did not show up in BIOS. reseated it several times, no luck. i tried the other M.2 slot (#2 of 2) and it worked just fine. i fear the power surges killed M.2 port #1.

checked my surged D: drive (a 3TB HDD) and it says the filesystem is "RAW" - so now i have to repair that disk. (will not be using it anymore - i just want to get some non-Steam games off it)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

never had a gaming laptop, and i don't think i will, due to heat (from exhaust venting), battery life and size/weight. (and anyways, i'm finding the Steam Deck is the actual answer here)

my laptop preference tends towards the 'executive' type (small 13" screen and long battery life) where Steam does not exist as an install (need to stay focused somehow)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out my previous report of fix was premature. Ended up doing a Windows reset, which took multiple hours AS WELL as a Chrome reset. But at least the individual windows are not flashing like mad. Will be now doing a FULL backup "just in case" anything happens.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds