O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by jztemple2 »

Looks like Beryl will miss Boca Chica (sorry Unagi :wink:) and come ashore as a Cat I hurricane between Corpus Christi and Galveston. Some minor (less than three foot) storm surge is forecast in some areas on the coast, possibly 4-6 feet.

Updated for more accurate storm surge info

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh (stolen from qt3)

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

extended heatwave in the PNW right now - i am not liking it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

114 degrees today with currently 15% humidity. They are calling for 116 tomorrow.

Edit: My phone showed 114 but the official high was 112. Still a record for the date.
Last edited by Scuzz on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, no wonder folks come to Florida in the summer, it's apparently cooler than up north.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Well it looks like Beryl is supposed to come right over my house around 7 am tomorrow morning. We live about 45 miles inland so I’m hoping that it won’t be too bad for us. It’s still kind of scary when the eye is predicted to go over your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hope our Houston-area peeps are safe and dry.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

There is a lot of debris here but no damage to the house except no electricity since 1:30 this morning.

I will probably lose some stuff in the refrigerator/freezer and I’ll be sweating a lot until the power comes back on.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Glad to hear you are safe!

Yup, being without power in the hot, humid aftermath of a hurricane passing by does suck. I've often brought up the subject of getting a generator, but as my wife points out, it's cheaper staying in a hotel as needed.

By the way, the last time a storm caused us to lose the contents of the refrigerators and freezers, the insurance covered that without us paying any deductible. Might be worth checking out.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm hiding in my bedroom for the next couple days since it's the only room in my place that has AC
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:25 pm i'm hiding in my bedroom for the next couple days since it's the only room in my place that has AC
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Meanwhile... that's us right near the 111℉ mark :roll:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heat index....or what it feels like.....for Monday and Tuesday is supposed to be 110 degrees....whew.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We got the leftovers of the hurricane. Gave us some rain and a few days of cooler weather.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:32 am We got the leftovers of the hurricane. Gave us some rain and a few days of cooler weather.
We did as well, rained last night. Pleasant day today. Going to be hot this weekend, then an extended streak in the low-mid 70's if the latest forecast I saw is to be believed. Told my wife she has to take the kids to the waterpark on Sunday, and I'll do so on Monday...it'll be awhile before it's warm enough again.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dramatist wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:21 am There is a lot of debris here but no damage to the house except no electricity since 1:30 this morning.

I will probably lose some stuff in the refrigerator/freezer and I’ll be sweating a lot until the power comes back on.
Have you gotten your power back?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No global warming though...nope...not here....uh uhh.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

We just got our power back yesterday. It was getting uncomfortable. There are still plenty of people around us that still don't have power. The lines for gas stations were crazy. People were waiting hours for gas for cars and generators. Now that more stations have power and the major roads are cleared for deliveries, it should be better. Cell service started dying about 2-3 hours after the power went out. We had to drive areas with power to download and send messages. Fortunately, when we gave blood, the blood center had power and internet. No major damage to our house. Lots of trees down in the neighborhood.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Yesterday I ignored 10 tornado warnings to finish a Destiny 2 raid, didn't get the exotic drop, and disappointed my fiancée. Is there some sort of lesson here?
Last night, the city of Chicago issued 10 simultaneous tornado warnings as severe storms swept through the area. I know this because 1) I live in Chicago, and 2) I was fighting The Witness, final boss of Destiny 2's latest raid at the time. Now you might think that, as a literally late-middle-aged man, as soon as I was informed about the tornado situation, I immediately downed my rocket-powered sidearm, wished my teammates well, and disconnected. After that my partner, our irascible puppy Jelly Bean, and I huddled in the bath to avoid falling masonry, or hunkered down in the bedroom cupboard, which I was later informed is even safer. Reader, let me tell you, that is not what I did.

I kept playing and honestly I didn't even think that hard about it.
Wait, Chicago had ten simultaneous tornado warnings :shock: ? Windy City, indeed :roll:
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

jztemple2 wrote:
Dramatist wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:21 am There is a lot of debris here but no damage to the house except no electricity since 1:30 this morning.

Sorry I just saw this. We were only without power for about 38 hours. It sucked but others had it much worse.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:45 pm
jztemple2 wrote:

Sorry I just saw this. We were only without power for about 38 hours. It sucked but others had it much worse.
Glad you got power back :D , sorry that it took 36 hours :(.

Back in 2004 when we got our first real hit in decades, we were without power for days. When the second hurricane that summer hit, we were only without power for several hours. When the third hurricane that same summer (sheesh!) hit we never lost power, by then every weak point in the system had been identified and replaced.

We've evacuated three times since then, but only once was power lost at all and then just for a little while.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:43 pm From PC Gamer, Yesterday I ignored 10 tornado warnings to finish a Destiny 2 raid, didn't get the exotic drop, and disappointed my fiancée. Is there some sort of lesson here?
Last night, the city of Chicago issued 10 simultaneous tornado warnings as severe storms swept through the area. I know this because 1) I live in Chicago, and 2) I was fighting The Witness, final boss of Destiny 2's latest raid at the time. Now you might think that, as a literally late-middle-aged man, as soon as I was informed about the tornado situation, I immediately downed my rocket-powered sidearm, wished my teammates well, and disconnected. After that my partner, our irascible puppy Jelly Bean, and I huddled in the bath to avoid falling masonry, or hunkered down in the bedroom cupboard, which I was later informed is even safer. Reader, let me tell you, that is not what I did.

I kept playing and honestly I didn't even think that hard about it.
Wait, Chicago had ten simultaneous tornado warnings :shock: ? Windy City, indeed :roll:
Yeah. Super fun waking up the kids shortly before 10 to take them to the basement (except for my oldest who can't get into the basement, so we put him in his wheelchair in the most protected part of the main floor and my wife stayed with him). The funniest part was the sleep addled boy twin coming downstairs and heading to the bathroom to start brushing his teeth.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One of the tornadoes went from Yorkville (where I live) to Naperville. As soon as the siren went off, I checked Weather.com, the reported tornado was already in Oswego and the dark red radar line had already passed, leaving us in the green. I made a half-hearted attempt to wake up my wife and have her come downstairs, but the data showed we were in the clear.

A friend setup a canopy in my yard on July 4 -- the canopy committed seppuku on a 4x4 pylon the prior owner used for a hammock. The frame might be salvageable.
Black Lives Matter