Who will become the new Attorney General

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6456660/

I have to say that I'm more than a little confused now. On the one hand, he called the Geneva Convention "quaint" and "outdated." Some of the stories I've seen on TV seem to reinforce the notion that he's responsible for many of the questionable legal decisions regarding the war on terror, both at home and abroad. On the other hand, it appears that he's much more socially moderate according to pieces like this from MSNBC and a few others I've read. If anyone can help clarify where the truth lies (lays? I've always been confused about that, too :wink: ), I'd greatly appreciate it.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

He's supposedly called by GOP Aides in the Senate "Gonzalez is Spanish for Souter" which tends to tell me that he's pretty moderate. He did vote while on the Texas Supreme Court in 2000 to allow pregnant teenagers to seek abortions without their parents permission; a very moderate view on abortion.

I don't know; I know his position with some of the White House stances, and I don't know if he's mouthing it out of loyalty to his job, or because he believes it. Who knows.

I just think it's funny that the GOP calls him Souter. That's almost a curse word for conservatives :wink: