Dog 1 skunk 101

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WAW

Dog 1 skunk 101

Post by WAW »

My dog just cornered a skunk against the fence. Man did he get sprayed. I had to charge in and throw a blanket over the dog. Got a dose myself this is horrible. :( What works on skunk? May have to burn the house down.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

The classic remedy is tomato juice.

Don't know if it works though, never experienced it. Thank goodness.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

You reek, and you came in the house to type that?

Ewwwwww. ;)
WAW

Post by WAW »

Gromit wrote:You reek, and you came in the house to type that?

Ewwwwww. ;)
I've had 2 showers so far. :(
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You need to take a bath full of Jim Beam.

Maybe it will work or maybe not but you won't care after a few minutes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Tomato juice works ... sorta. Not great though. There are products that are specially made - but I've never used them, so I can't speak to how well they work.

What I will suggest is that you toss the clothes you were wearing. The biggest problem that I remember with skunk is that it permeates everywhere. The second problem is that you will get used to it and think that the smell has mostly gone away. Trust me, it hasn't. Everyone else will be able to smell it. And if you wash those clothes and put them away, then your closet and the rest of your clothes will also pick up a faint smell.

And if you let the dog in the house, then you are pretty much screwed.

The good news is that it will eventually fade. But probably not for a while. You may need some second opinions on whether the smell is gone.

Good luck.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I think I saw on Mythbusters that baking soda and hydrogen peroxide did a good job of getting rid of the odor...or maybe I dreamt that, might wanna check to be sure...
shaggydoug

Post by shaggydoug »

Whenever I smell a slightly stronger than normal skunk smell (more than just that skunk roadkill I just drove by), I start gagging. Anyone else have a strong reaction like this? I can't imagine actually getting sprayed. I believe I would hurl my guts out.

- shaggy
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, I think the soda and peroxide is what they claimed worked best. It gets a LOT of oxygen in there which is a really good cleanser.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My dog got sprayed about three years ago, like at midnight (and I live in Chicago, for cripes sake!) I hustled myself down to Jewel and bought four bottles of hydrogen peroxide and some baking soda. Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid soap in an open bucket. Hose dog down and apply mixture while foaming. Work into fur, rinse and repeat. A lot. Avoid the tomato juice, that really just masks the smell more than anything.

Oh yeah, use fresh hydrogen peroxide, and make sure you wear latex or rubber gloves! Despite the multiple washings of my dog, for the next week every time I brought my hands up by my face I got a whiff of skunk.

Good luck!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I actually don't have a problem with skunk smell. It's not GREAT, mind you, and I wouldn't go buying a little skunk air freshener, but it's not horrible, either.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Eel Snave wrote:I actually don't have a problem with skunk smell. It's not GREAT, mind you, and I wouldn't go buying a little skunk air freshener, but it's not horrible, either.
Yeah, oddly enough I kind of like the smell, too. Although, I don't think I would want it all over me. It is just kind of pleasant from a distance.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

You're going to be stuck with the after-smell of skunk for awhile. When mine got skunked you could smell a slight skunky smell on him for a couple of weeks afterward.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Oh, and another thing...an after effect of the hydrogen peroxide wash brought out red highlights on my dog! (She's an Irish Setter/Black Labrador mix...looks like a black Irish Setter.)

My wife is now talking about doing this to the dog again, just because she liked the red highlights!
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I have heard that wash yourself or dog with Scope mouth wash, it apparently works.

I haven't tried this but its a cheap, harmless, possibility and I would certainly give it a shot if I had too.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.