PC Games: General/Title

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Is there added value (and ease of use) in splitting PC Games between General and Title to you?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 32

Dirt

PC Games: General/Title

Post by Dirt »

Just the facts, ma'am.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

when I initially came up with the forum sections at GG, "PC Games By Title" was supposed to contain one thread per game, titled simply with the name of that game, and all discussion of that game would take place in its thread. I know there would be problems with such a system though it worked on a forum I lurked on before GG...

...but it has never been used that way here (nor was it at GG after the forum grew too large for me to admin/moderate alone)
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Maybe we should just have one "general", and then one per genre (primary genre, that is).
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Maybe we should just have one "general", and then one per genre
I mentioned this in the other thread, but we've discussed it before. There's probably a level of participation in these forums that forces us to do it, but I don't know what that is. I don't think we were there on GG, right before the end.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I'm going to compare my recent need to use the AVSforums this past week with the way it seems it has been done here and at GG.

On the AVS Forums they tend to lump everything about a particular product into one thread. Now they don't seem to limit the number of pages in a thread so the threads can end up with a few thousand replies and a few hundred pages long. No one wants to read all of that or even use a search engine on the thread to find what they are looking for. It's too time consuming.

Now here and at GG at times the Games by title forum gets overrun by a particular title or two, like now. But by careful use of the thread title it has made finding information a lot easier, plus it doesn't hurt that we don't act like ass fucks when some one asks a question that has been asked before. The games by title forum has always been a forum I enjoy reading without feeling like I'm slogging through a bunch of posts that don't concern my particular need.

So yes, keep them seperate.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

On the AVS Forums they tend to lump everything about a particular product into one thread. Now they don't seem to limit the number of pages in a thread so the threads can end up with a few thousand replies and a few hundred pages long. No one wants to read all of that or even use a search engine on the thread to find what they are looking for. It's too time consuming.
FWIW, that was part of the reason we stuck with the
10 page limit" (with a couple of exceptions) at GG, after 10 page threads ceased to be a technical issue (some time in 2001, I reckon).

It can be reasonably argued that at some point a thread hits critical mass and ceases to have anything that can remotely be called value.