Dual Monitors - Gaming Performance

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mookee

Dual Monitors - Gaming Performance

Post by Mookee »

I got a new flat panel today (woo!) and I'm thinking of running dual monitors with my old one through VGA and the new one through DVI. This way I can game and look at topless photos of Ms. Portman AT THE SAME TIME.

My question is: Will this seriously hamper the performance of my machine while gaming?

My measurements:

P4 2.5
Radeon 9600
512 RAM
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

It will reduce performace some, I think, but looking at topless photos of Natalie will probably distract you enough so you won't notice it.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Doesn't it work so that the not-being-use monitor just goes into standby? Then it wouldn't affect game performance. Perhaps check the ati and nvidia websites to see what others found.
is_dead
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Think of it this way. Game performance is a function of video card power and system power (I use the word "power" for simplicity). The video card is driving a single monitor and the cpu is feeding info to the card as well as handling all non-display related calculations.

So throw in a second monitor. The video card has to drive 2 monitors and the system has to track calculations for both the game and the second monitor.

So....for any cpu or video card intensive game, you will see a drop in performance if you are running dual monitors. How much of a drop depends on how much the game was taxing the system before you went dual.

I'm running dual right now on an AMD XP 1800+, ATI 9800 Pro and 19" and 17" LG monitors.

Since my system isn't up to snuff, yes, I suffer a decent performance hit on some games. I wouldn't try any modern FPS for example.

That being said, I ran WoW beta in maximized window mode on the 19" and surfed on the 17" with no real problems.

Um, *cough*.

What I meant to say is that, yes, you will see a performance hit. How big depends on what the rest of your system looks like and the apps you are running.
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

Thanks guys. :)