X-Psted from CG: HL1 in Source not all it's cracked up to be

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JCC

X-Psted from CG: HL1 in Source not all it's cracked up to be

Post by JCC »

So I finally got my PC Gamer with the much talked about review. They had a column on HL1 running in Source. It frankly, sounds underwhelming. Apparently, the only real upgrade is to the water and the physics. All other graphics/textures are the same. The gist of it is, "It looks and plays almost exactly like the original." overall. Why bother? I know some people here were very excited about it, but you may want to rethink buying a more expensive package to get this feature now.

Having said that, the article points out that FANS will no doubt eventually mod HL1 in Source with new textures, so eventually, it will probably be very cool.

EDIT: Fixing the quote from the zine.
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Yeah, I was very disappointed to read that in PCGamer - I was looking forward to a Source engine-updated version of HL1 almost as much as I was HL2. After playing CS:Source last night, though, I have to say that I'm really impressed with the Source engine - I was getting great framerates at high settings on my relatively (1.67ghz) slow machine.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
knob

Post by knob »

Well, what did you expect? A whole new version of HL1?

I'm still just as excited as I was when I originally purchases the Silver package. And frankly, I believe with only a $10 difference, the Bronze package is a waste of money. (It's only about $6 different with the actual retail package, since you'll more than likely be paying tax.)
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Why bother?
Because I never finished Half-Life?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

I'm sticking with my free ATI voucher version, whatever that gets me. Not like the game will ever come out anyway.
knob

Post by knob »

Orpheo wrote:I'm sticking with my free ATI voucher version, whatever that gets me. Not like the game will ever come out anyway.

From what I understand, you could pay a whopping $10 *total* (With your voucher) and get the silver version.

All of those games for $10 seems to be a good deal, in my opinion. Unless you want the retail version.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Hardly surprising its underwhelming but then I was not much of a fan of HL past the halfway point when you hit alien world.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

You don't reach Xen until *well* past the halfway point. More like the 75% point.

This news about HL1 source is about what I expected... new engine but same textures etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, it is what it is cracked up to be. They have always said they were just porting the old assets to the new engine - nothing more. This is precisely what they said it would be.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Exactly what I was going to say, Blackhawk. I still think it'll be fun because, well, it's good ol' Half Life. And I doubt it will be very long before some modders start tossing in new models and textures. Then it'll really shine.
knob

Post by knob »

The only different thing I really would like to see in HL1:Source would be more destructable/movable objects.

I love seeing barrels roll, and bodies fly.
WPD

Post by WPD »

What did you expect from HL1:Source, Half-life 2?

Because if so, I have some news for you... :P
JCC

Post by JCC »

Seeing as how their marketing tripe calls it "Digitally remastered" I don't think it is outrageous to infer that they had actually redone the graphics. I know a lot of people who were surprised when they found out what HL in Source truly is going to be. I'm not ripping Valve so much, as I just wanted to let people know who might have been under the same mistaken impression I was about what was actually involved in the release.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I plan on buying the UK DVD from Gogamer when they have it, I don't need the collectors edition stuff, and the CS1 and DOD Source Rehash won't ever see any playtime from me anyway. I'm sure there will b e a buttload of mods for HL2 anyhow...
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats