[NFL] No black general managers? Really?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Terrified

[NFL] No black general managers? Really?

Post by Terrified »

For those of you who don't watch the Canadian Football League, the Toronto Argonauts won the Grey Cup (It's like your superbowl, only it's been around 92 years instead of a mere 40 years...) *INSERT SMILEY HERE!* (Just a good natured jab, I'm a huge fan of the NFL.)

Well, in the celebration, they mentioned that this is the first time an African-American coached American Football team has won a championship. (The Argos are coached by former star running back Pinball Clemens)

Well, the announcers started to mention CFL firsts... That the CFL was the first place to have black quarterbacks on professional teams, the first place to have black coaches in professional football, the first place to have a black general manager. And with that, the announcer said "The NFL still has never had a black general manager."

Wha?

Is this true? I mean, it seems although black players are a considerable percentage of NFL teams, I can accept that there aren't a lot of black coaches. (That's what minority means, right?) But that there's never been a black GM? Ever? How can that be? Hasn't there been some kind of outcry?
cc_TheToph

Ozzie Newsome?

Post by cc_TheToph »

Doesn't Ozzie fill the General Manager's role for the Ravens?
Now Playing:
PC: Raven Shield & Rome: TW
X-Box: Nada
Gamecube: Nada
Board: Samurai, WALLENSTEIN, Tigris & Euphrates
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Wasn't Denny Green coach/GM?

Also, what is the correlation between player and coach?

According to the pro football hall-of-fame:
First African-American general manager: Ozzie Newsome, Baltimore Ravens, 2002
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ozzie Newsome definitely is in the GM role in Baltimore, but I don't know if that is his official title. I think Green was Coach/GM of the Vikings for a while too.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

According to SI
Since Newsome, the league's 2001 exec of the year, two other NFL teams now have African-American general managers.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Weird. This AP story references Denny Greeen as the
coach and general manager of the Minnesota Vikings.
Is he not black? :?
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Is he not black?
I don't think he was officially GM, though he served in that capacity (nor is he the only coach to have done that, of course). I'm pretty sure he was Coach/GM in the mid to late 90s (I don't think he started like that though). I think it is kind of weird not to recognize him as a black GM.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

noxiousdog wrote:According to SI
Since Newsome, the league's 2001 exec of the year, two other NFL teams now have African-American general managers.
Thanks for the quote, ND. It is as I figured. The announcer was reading from some pre-2002 stats book, or more likely was spouting off on his own. I knew the CFL was first, but I thought for sure that the NFL had some black GMs since.