How do you transfer video from your computer to a DVD?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Eel Snave

How do you transfer video from your computer to a DVD?

Post by Eel Snave »

I have a friend who has made a 3 hour (!) movie on his computer. He's split it in half, but now he wants to get it off the computer and put it on DVDs. How can he do that? Is there special equipment?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

BTW, the video can't be compressed into an .avi or any other format from the program he made it on (Lego Studios) (!), so that's out of the picture. It has to stay the way it is. We were thinking of hooking it into a DVD recorder or something. I don't know. Suggestions?
Downwards Compatible
warning

Post by warning »

Well... a couple questions.

1) I assume he has a DVD burner?

2) I assume he wants it to be playable on a standalone DVD player? If not, he could just burn the file to the DVD as a data file but it wouldn't play on a standalone.

3) If the answer to the above two are yes, you could use a program like Nero to do it. Nero has a 30 day free trial (I believe) which basically gives you the entire program with no restrictions. Download it and you can set it up to burn using NeroVision Express. It should be very easy to do using Nero. It has a very helpful interface.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

See, that's the problem. It's not a raw data file. The VIDEOS are there, but the sounds are only assembled in the program, meaning he's looking for a way to stream it onto a DVD. One possibility he mentioned was connecting it to an external DVD player with TV-Out, but that didn't make sense to me.

He picked a really, really crappy program to do this with.
Downwards Compatible
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I have no idea if this would work or not but if his video card has an svideo output and he had a capture card as well couldn't he just loop the signal from the video card to a capture card and record the output in whatever file format the the capture card allowed. A leadtek capture card is fairly cheap and does a decent job. A STB DVD recorder would most likely work as well and would be the easiest option. If you had to you could use a VCR if the video card offered a dongle that had composit outputs. If his video card is VIVO he could then record the VCR image back into the PC in any format needed to burn to a PC DVD recorder.

There are a lot of ways it could be done but the easiest would obviously be a way to save in a different format or a program that would convert the files but it doesn't sound like either of those options exist.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I chuckled. Then I googled. It appears that there are a huge number of people who fill their hobby niche by making Lego films. Anyway, a search of their forums shows this post that suggests and option for exporting films from that software into .mpg format.

If that doesn't do the trick, that forum is the place to ask.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)

Post by Default »

rm -rf
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken