Forum/Website progress

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Rubyeye

Forum/Website progress

Post by Rubyeye »

To whom it may concern:

I was wondering if we could get a progress report on where the forum/website stand. It has been a few weeks since artwork was requested and I recall some talk about a color scheme as well not to mention talks about having some sort of site with content. It seems like things have been losing steam since the initial launch of OO. It was interesting to see what decisions where going to be made and to see what the community could put together. I could be wrong but it seems to me that not a whole lot of progress has been made lately towards these decisions. Is there something else the community can be doing to help with suggestions or decisions? Please don't take this as a complaint. I understand there has been a lot of time and effort put into this place. I just hope to see forward movement!
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Well, I thought I read everything in the meta forum to make sure I didn't miss anything and I failed to read page 2 in the Artists Wanted thread where The_Meal posted an update. I did notice that he said he was waiting for some artwork from some real world people/professionals. Personally, I think it would be cooler to keep all of the design and artwork as in-house as possible. Any thoughts?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

God help me through this day
God please help me through this day
I'm blind can't see the way

I can't take it
I just can't take it anymore

God help me through this day
I'm blind can't see the way
God illuminate this day

I can't take it
I just can't take it anymore

I've been waiting longtime
I've been waiting longtime
I've been waiting too long
To see the light

EDIT: Image was changed so this might not make much sense anymore. :idea:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Ruby, where you see running out of steam, I'd say we were able to take care of all the quick, easy decisions and we're into the ones that take time and care in deciding. I've stopped making changes to the forum at this point because 1) we currently have all the necessary stuff in (and some not so necessary stuff), and 2) we need to make some decisions about a CMS, which is a decision we absolutely can't afford to rush into.

Maybe my calendar is off, but we're just now coming up to the one month mark. We've made a good bit of progress, but there's still a lot more to do.

And because you asked so nicely, here's a cliche', free of charge:

"It's a marathon, not the 100-yard dash!" :)

LB, I'll see what I can do about finding a very temporary placeholder for the phpBB logo graphic.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gedd wrote: LB, I'll see what I can do about finding a very temporary placeholder for the phpBB logo graphic.
My catharsis is bitching about it so I'm back to being ok for at least another week. :wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Another vague, unofficial update.

1 - We have narrowed down almost completely our choices for the underlying software, just making sure it is capable of what we want to do with the site. I can't go into much detail on this, not because of some Secret Society restrictions, but because it is a tech issue, and I have absolutely no idea what anything in that particular discussion means.

2 - Up until very recently we have been brainstorming on piles of ideas - what to use for site content, how to manage it, how to present it, how to tie it together, precise focus, and dozens of details. Right now we are at the point of having narrowed that brainstorming down to simple feature lists that we are making final decisions on.

The thing that makes it take so long is that 1 is dependent on the results of 2, and 2 is dependent on the capablilities of 1.

3 - Art - we are looking at appointing someone to handle the contacts and get this aspect of the site moving.

4 - color schemes - I'd like to see this one happen myself. :wink: Seriously, though, our list has probably 150 little things to do - this is one of them. It isn't quite as simple as just addding it to the list; every change we have made to the board system has to be re-made for every color scheme (at least that's how I understand it). It is possible that we will be coming up with a temporary color scheme or two to ease our eyes in the meantime (my eyes have trouble with bright sites, too). It will, as I said, be temporary - until we iron out #3, we won't even know exactly what colors OO will be using.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The CMS choice is critical, because it's something we're married to. Any corners we cut now in picking something (say picking something "just to be done with it and move on") will make things harder down the road (for example: for getting the Game Guide, or Community Game Rankings going).
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Thanks again, Blackhawk.

That's twice now, by my count, that (despite your protestations of vagueness) you have been the most useful and definitive source of information from on high. ;)

Am I allowed to start a petition to make BH the Press Secretary of the Overlords' administration?

- Ash
docvego

Post by docvego »

If you guys were looking at Wordpress as a CMS, and didn't like the Comments feature I wrote up a Wordpress/phpbb plugin that creates a a phpbb topic to comments when a new Wordpress Story is published.

You can kind of see it in action here on the fngeeks dev server.