Recommendations for DVD viewing software?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

leo8877

Recommendations for DVD viewing software?

Post by leo8877 »

Hey all, I just ordered a CD-RW/DVD ROM combo drive and I'm wondering what software I'll need to be able to watch DVDs. I think the drive comes with something (It's OEM, so who knows), but I wonder if there's anything else out there that's rock-solid? Any recommendations?

Edit: Does WMP 10 do all of this anyway?
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Get PowerDVD. Windows media doesn't come with a dvd codec, you need to get another (surprisingly hard to find free ones). Frequently the one shipped with drives is poor. Power DVD is excellent and its only 20 dollars.
is_dead
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

PowerDVD is good. If you're going to do a lot of burning, consider the fact that Nero now bundles a viewer as well, though.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

is_dead wrote:Get PowerDVD. Windows media doesn't come with a dvd codec, you need to get another (surprisingly hard to find free ones). Frequently the one shipped with drives is poor. Power DVD is excellent and its only 20 dollars.
Where did you see this for $20? I just went to their site and it sells for $50. Is their a less advanced bundle for just viewing?

Maybe this is it: http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/prod ... plugin.asp
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Nvidia's NVDVD is probably the best one I've used, and I've used PowerDVD and WinDVD too.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

Veloxi wrote:Nvidia's NVDVD is probably the best one I've used, and I've used PowerDVD and WinDVD too.
Will it matter that I have an ATI card?
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

leo8877 wrote:
Veloxi wrote:Nvidia's NVDVD is probably the best one I've used, and I've used PowerDVD and WinDVD too.
Will it matter that I have an ATI card?
According to the system requirements, it supports the "ATI Radeon family." I hope that helps.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

Cool, thank you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

According to the Nvidia site, it isn't available to the public - only bundled with certain cards.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Buy a cheap DVD drive for your friends, and keep the free bundled PowerDVD for youself. :D
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Blackhawk wrote:According to the Nvidia site, it isn't available to the public - only bundled with certain cards.
I bittorrented it. Check out [deleted].

Site removed. Linking or naming warez sites is prohibited. While the site you named does, indeed, have some freely distributed programs listed, the bulk of it is illegal.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Veloxi, please refrain from listing warez sites. It is against the CoC.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Check out VideoLan at http://www.videolan.org/. It's free (open source) and works very well. Plays just about any format out there.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Sorry 'bout that, guys. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

A lot of people use ZoomPlayer a free DVD App but it doesn't come with a codec either. I think I have at least a Lite version of just about every big name retail DVDplayer. Between video cards and capture cards and DVD drives it seems I'm tripping over them but when the time came to choosing one for my HTPC I went with Theater Tek. It just melds easier with FFDShow a post processing piece of software. Theater Tek although is more troublesome than Windows XP is about authorizing it if the forums are any indication and it is kind of pricy. Performance wise I'm happy with it though.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I was using Media Player Classic the last couple reinstalls, and was happy with it for the most part, but it lacked.. polish. Its a great media player no doubt but I just like a little more.

I just bought a Lite On DVD-RW and it came bundled with PowerDVD 5 in whatever bundleware config it comes with, and its absolutely fine. No Problems.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats