A game where you build?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

is_dead

A game where you build?

Post by is_dead »

Looking for a recommendation for a game where I get to build something. I just have an urge to create. I was looking at the Worms Forts preview. I'd like to create a base, or a vehicle, but probably not a character or an empire, so no RTS or RPG's.

Any ideas? I'd like a newer game with decent graphics... thanks!
is_dead
Kael

Post by Kael »

Emperor: Rise of the Middle kingdom is a cool city building sim that lets you try all sorts of creative city building ideas.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

cool, I'll check it out on gamespot
is_dead
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Rollercoaster Tycoon.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Mindrover
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Lego Island
da Toad

Post by da Toad »

Stronghold.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

hey, Stronghold 2 looks really good. There's a preview on Gamespot. Release set for Q1 2005. 3D engine and fairly big battles, plus the ability to make your own fort or castle, complete with burning oil to dump on the invaders... :)
is_dead
da Toad

Post by da Toad »

Yeah, read a preview in CG mag. Seems like the same game just ported to a 3D engine with a more "sim-like" quality to the subjects (re. Space Colony).

I had a blast playing LAN games vs. the Mrs. She's still complaining about the time my trebuchet flung a cow carcass into her oil pot and burned down her castle from the inside out. I'd never see a cow corpse cause damage before; they usually just cause disease. One in a million shot... :lol:
CSL

Post by CSL »

I'll second the recommendation of Rollercoaster Tycoon. You should be able to find the pack with RCT2 and both its expansions for about $20. Thats a lot of scenarios, and though I thought RCT2 was weaker then the first thats mainly because it was mostly a glorified expansion pack.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yeah, RollercoasterTycoon is probably the best.

Settlers 4 and Northland are also good picks.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Caesar III, Pharoah, Zeus -all Impressions games...spectacular imo
Azhure

Post by Azhure »

I'll second the recommendation for any of the Impressions series of citybuilders, CaesarIII, Pharaoh, Zeus or Emperor. I would also suggest checking out Children of the Nile, made by many of the same people (even if they did fire Ironrod :()
Spike

Post by Spike »

is_dead wrote:hey, Stronghold 2 looks really good. There's a preview on Gamespot. Release set for Q1 2005. 3D engine and fairly big battles, plus the ability to make your own fort or castle, complete with burning oil to dump on the invaders... :)
If it doesn't turn out to be yet another RTS "build lots of one thing and throw them at the walls until they fall down" affair like the first one, that'd be good. Loved the first, but it really sucked from a castle-building and siege-tactics point of view.
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Exactly. Castle Building, siege tactics. Two awesome concepts that haven't been done right yet. Don't get me wrong, Rome Total War is a great game, but not for these 2 reasons.
is_dead
Spike

Post by Spike »

Zekester wrote:Yeah, RollercoasterTycoon is probably the best.

Settlers 4 and Northland are also good picks.
Settlers 3 was a better game, unless Settlers 4 had no combat as requested (I don't recall).

Is RCT3 any great advance over RCT1/2, by the way?
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

RCT3 is a huge advance. There's a demo for it and it's definitely worth a look.

Another vote for Children of the Nile here - I'm really enjoying that game (and I like all the City Builders too.)
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch