Well, the honeymoon is over

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Well, the honeymoon is over

Post by hepcat »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c ... &printer=1
Russian President Vladimir Putin accused the United States on Friday of pursuing a dictatorial foreign policy and said mounting violence could derail progress toward bringing peace and democracy to Iraq.
I never thought i'd live to see the day Russia would be calling the U.S. a dictatorial country... :shock:

so much for the much vaunted buddy/buddy relationship between putin and bush.
He won. Period.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Not shocked to see it, actually.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
malchior

Post by malchior »

We screwed him by calling for new elections while Putin was advocating just letting it go.

Also, Bush basically came out and said that Russia has no place deciding how the Ukraine should run it's elections. Which is really the best thing he could have done.
Tareeq

Re: Well, the honeymoon is over

Post by Tareeq »

hepcat wrote:I never thought i'd live to see the day Russia would be calling the U.S. a dictatorial country... :shock:
You never read any Soviet propaganda, did you? Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be, "I never thought my disgust for my country's actions would be such that I would parrot anti-American denunciations from Russia as though they had any real meaning"?

What that says about your country, and what it says about you, are open to interpretation.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tareeq wrote:
hepcat wrote:I never thought i'd live to see the day Russia would be calling the U.S. a dictatorial country... :shock:
You never read any Soviet propaganda, did you? Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be, "I never thought my disgust for my country's actions would be such that I would parrot anti-American denunciations from Russia as though they had any real meaning"?

What that says about your country, and what it says about you, are open to interpretation.
unfortunately you lost your way with "open to interpretation" by going ahead with your own.

most russian propoganda relied on the vision of the United States as a great force of corruption and greed...not really a dictatorship, per se.

i didn't post this as a condemnation of the U.S., but there's very little i can do about another's viewpoint, no matter how it's derived.
He won. Period.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

hepcat wrote:
Tareeq wrote:

unfortunately you lost your way with "open to interpretation" by going ahead with your own.
None whatsoever. I accurately described your actions. Whether your disgust is justified is up to the reader.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tareeq wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Tareeq wrote:

None whatsoever. I accurately described your actions. Whether your disgust is justified is up to the reader.
lol...you accurately described YOUR view that i was expressing disgust. derived entirely from a personal viewpoint as there was absolutely NO contextual evidence to support that theory.

sorry to point that out. :wink:
He won. Period.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

hepcat wrote:lol...you accurately described YOUR view that i was expressing disgust. derived entirely from a personal viewpoint as there was absolutely NO contextual evidence to support that theory.

The context should be quite apparent to you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tareeq wrote:
hepcat wrote:lol...you accurately described YOUR view that i was expressing disgust. derived entirely from a personal viewpoint as there was absolutely NO contextual evidence to support that theory.

The context should be quite apparent to you.
Lol...quoting me from previous posts does absolutely nothing to dispell the fact that you made an assumption based on NO context provided in this current post.

Sometimes a person can post something strictly because they find it interesting or amusing, without an ulterior political motive.

so again, i say, you interpreted this post and it's supposed theme of "disgust" with America strictly based on your personal viewpoint.
He won. Period.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

hepcat wrote:
most russian propoganda relied on the vision of the United States as a great force of corruption and greed...not really a dictatorship, per se.
That's actually not true. Soviet propaganda consistently portrayed the US as a dictatorship of capital, the masses of society toiling for the benefit of an elite capitalist class. They labelled liberal democracy a tool of that class to perpetuate its control, and the US as the foremost example of that system.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
hepcat wrote:
That's actually not true. Soviet propaganda consistently portrayed the US as a dictatorship of capital, the masses of society toiling for the benefit of an elite capitalist class. They labelled liberal democracy a tool of that class to perpetuate its control, and the US as the foremost example of that system.
wouldn't a "dictatorship of capital" be, in essence, greed? when i think of "dictatorship" I envision a less conceptual leader. I guess I saw Putin's statement as more a slam on one administration's "war on terror" and the way they're going about it and less about an overall idea of government.

(and lest we begin assuming I'm attacking Bush again, I'm not saying whether or not i agree with those policies in that statement...i'm trying to have an honest to god objective discussion)
He won. Period.
godzy

Post by godzy »

Oh, would someone just start posting pwned pics already.