I have to write a paper...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WPD

I have to write a paper...

Post by WPD »

I need to write a 6-8 page paper on the lack of minority workers getting degrees in computer science and computer engineering. (Cue jokes about India)

The only problem is I really don't care enough to write the paper. An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
Spike

Re: I have to write a paper...

Post by Spike »

WPD wrote:I need to write a 6-8 page paper on the lack of minority workers getting degrees in computer science and computer engineering. (Cue jokes about India)
Is there? I mean, I haven't noticed a lack where I work, or where I studied at university. Tons of Indians (even then), Chinese, Japanese, you name it. Here at the office there's Vietnamese, Thai, African, Indian, twelve flavours of Western European, Greek, Turkish, Colombian, Canadian, American, Australian, New Zealanders... the list goes on and on. There's a bunch of disabled folks and I even spotted a (yummy) girl in the Amsterdam office who's half Dutch and half Inuit, for goodness' sake.

Maybe that's an exception, though. Same goes for women in technology: I'm surrounded by them. I haven't had a male boss here, ever. In seven years. With eight or nine different bosses.
The only problem is I really don't care enough to write the paper. An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
That's understandable. Bearing the blame for everything that's ever gone wrong since the dawn of time is a bit of a bummer.
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Kiam

Post by Kiam »

You gotta be more straightforward. I just told the forum to produce me an essay.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sorry, no evidence here. My department is 50% caucasian, 30% asian, 10% black, and 10% hispanic. As far as my own staff goes, I'm the only caucasian among 4.

I think I've worked on as many IT staffs where whites were a minority than not. One memorable staff was about 80% Muslim - when they had a religious holiday, I was usually in for a hell day.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

When I find I can't get into the zone when writing a paper, I try to see how many different comedians I can work into the paper. Not their name, but their style of comedy. Dane Cook, Robin Williams, Jhonen Vasquez (sp?), Dennis Leary all have helped me out of some tough situations. It even worked in History!
The Americans were able to trap the Spanish fleet in the harbor, and set up a blockade of horrible doom which soon crippled the Spanish fleet.
Depward

Post by Depward »

WPD wrote:I need to write a 6-8 page paper on the lack of minority workers getting degrees in computer science and computer engineering. (Cue jokes about India)

Wait a sec. Are you in Communications 321? I had to write something similiar to that!
depward on the Playstation Network
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

C'mon folks! Let's help him out. WE can write his paper for him. I'll start: There was this farmer's daughter who wanted a computer science degree......."
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

If you don't care enough, I guess you'll just have to settle for and 'F'.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Is there a lack of minority workers getting degrees in CS and CE? If so, does the lack of a degree stop them from getting a job? Are certifications adequate replacements for degrees in CS and CE fields?

The anecdotal evidence here seems to indicate there is no shortage of minority workers in those fields. What is the hangup on degrees. And are foriegn degrees not counted? Does "minorities" only include US citizens?

If they already hate you, stick their assumptions up their asses.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Perhaps it the lack of jobs that's encouraging everybody away from those degrees.
Black Lives Matter
WPD

Post by WPD »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Is there a lack of minority workers getting degrees in CS and CE? If so, does the lack of a degree stop them from getting a job? Are certifications adequate replacements for degrees in CS and CE fields?

The anecdotal evidence here seems to indicate there is no shortage of minority workers in those fields. What is the hangup on degrees. And are foriegn degrees not counted? Does "minorities" only include US citizens?

If they already hate you, stick their assumptions up their asses.
According to some article I found, the perecntage of minority workers(black and Hispanic, because that is who I am supposed to look at) working in CS and CE related fields is ~10% lower.

And I'm looking at people born in the US. None of that foreigner crap here!

I don't think trying to prove there is equality will get me anything other then an 'F'.
Wait a sec. Are you in Communications 321? I had to write something similiar to that!
No fancy 300 level class for me! CES 101!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pretty vague topic with too many variables, from increased prison occupancy, to opportunity, to verying job availality, to descrimination, to differing values, which all hold possiblities toward contribution.
WPD

Post by WPD »

LordMortis wrote:Pretty vague topic with too many variables, from increased prison occupancy, to opportunity, to verying job availality, to descrimination, to differing values, which all hold possiblities toward contribution.
I think I'm just going to focus on school teachers pushing minorites towards vocational schools rather than degrees and the "DIGITAL DIVIDE". Because the first one we covered over a course of ~4 weeks and the second one just sounds scary.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

WPD wrote: The only problem is I really don't care enough to write the paper. An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
If it's a low level class don't worry about the nitty gritty... unless you're planning this for the writing portfolio. 6-8 pages is nothing with a little margin magic and double spacing.

You've been taking the honor's classes? If you're taking who I think you're taking, avoid her at all costs. Every single honors professor is awesome except for her. Or if you get sick of the honors college all together just take the normal classes and you'll get honors credit for them. I have a friend who was a pharmacy major who did this.
WPD

Post by WPD »

SuperHiro wrote:
WPD wrote: The only problem is I really don't care enough to write the paper. An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
If it's a low level class don't worry about the nitty gritty... unless you're planning this for the writing portfolio. 6-8 pages is nothing with a little margin magic and double spacing.

You've been taking the honor's classes? .
This isn't for the writing portfolio, I passed that 2 weeks ago.

Mostly I don't want to blow the paper since it is 25% of the grade in the class.

But most importantly of all I just need to get motivated to write paper! I haven't written anything except equations, C++ programs and 2 page BS since last semester.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I'm just going to focus on school teachers pushing minorites towards vocational schools rather than degrees and the "DIGITAL DIVIDE". Because the first one we covered over a course of ~4 weeks and the second one just sounds scary.
Do teachers push minorities toward vocations? From my small view of the world, it seems to me that racism doesn't play much of a part in primary and secondary education. Neighborhoods do in a big way, though. Your last chance styles of districts are just trying to keep the kids in school in hopes that they can teach them basic skills and in hopes of keeping their own district revenues up. In your acadmically intensive districts everyone is pushed or they are not. I have seen a lot of unconscious sexism, that is likely changing psyches to help keep little girls from becoming problem solvers, but I have not actually looked at the phenomena of the way teachers teach racially. And as I am not a student of education anymore, I don't get to go to the schools and watch teaching practices anymore. :( I really found it stimulating when I did.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Know what the strange part is? I thought more minorites were getting those degrees. The amount of Asian and Indians getting engineering degrees is huge. So I'm assume by "minority", the teacher is referring to African and Hispanic americans?

That's easy. Just go off on culture. What values do the cultures generally push? What role models are there for each community (Man you can type 6-8 pages on that alone)? Find out what degrees said minorities do actually go for and use that. I bet a million bucks they are all heading for business degrees. So you can push this angle.

"While many minorities aren't getting technical four-year degrees, due to many of them getting managerial style degrees, there is a trend that the amount of minorities MANAGING those graduates in the workforce will increase."
WPD

Post by WPD »

SuperHiro wrote:Know what the strange part is? I thought more minorites were getting those degrees.
It is increasing, but it is not equal therefore it is not good. Therefore I have to write apaper on it. Therefore I am writing this post.
So I'm assume by "minority", the teacher is referring to African and Hispanic americans?
Yes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

WPD wrote:An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
WPD wrote:I don't think trying to prove there is equality will get me anything other then an 'F'.
Sounds like you just need to put together a tirade about how minorities are getting the shaft and how through this class you've learned to feel great guilt.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
WPD

Post by WPD »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
WPD wrote:An entire semester of talking about how much I suck because I am a man and white really took it out of me.
WPD wrote:I don't think trying to prove there is equality will get me anything other then an 'F'.
Sounds like you just need to put together a tirade about how minorities are getting the shaft and how through this class you've learned to feel great guilt.
EXACTLY!

Now I just need to get motivated enough to write it. :shock:
Depward

Post by Depward »

Bwahaha I did my writing portfolio right before Thanksgiving Break. If I hadn't done it I wouldn't have been able to sign up for next semesters classes :shock:
depward on the Playstation Network
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I hate that writing portfolio. My brother was a comp sci major and he barely had enough papers for it.

I didn't have any difficulty doing it, but it was just about the most tedious thing I had to do. Ugh, it's like the English department wanted to be recognized for something.
WPD

Post by WPD »

SuperHiro wrote:I hate that writing portfolio. My brother was a comp sci major and he barely had enough papers for it.

I didn't have any difficulty doing it, but it was just about the most tedious thing I had to do. Ugh, it's like the English department wanted to be recognized for something.
I'm a computer engineering major.

The ONLY reason I had enough papers was that I transferred here so I had a paper from the English-type class I took, but it wasn't an English 101 equivalent because English 101 is so fucking important. But I'm not bitter.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

After watching the students in the graduate level CSci class before my Discrete Math class come out as I go into the room, I'd be pressed to disagree. Almost all, if not all, of the people in that class are from India. And this is in North Dakota mind you.
WPD

Post by WPD »

Well after an hour and a half I have BSed my way through half of it or so.

I've mostly talked abut programs that have been established to combat te problem, not the problem itself.
Atalante

Post by Atalante »

~75% of my classes are made of asian students. Us white guys are very much the minority over here.

Yet no classes to say how shafted we are, curses. :wink:
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"
WPD

Post by WPD »

Haha motherfucker!

I win!

5 1/5 pages = 6 pages today!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I guess I'm too late, but I did a presentation on the Digital Divide and I have a decent article lying around if you want me to email it to you.
WPD

Post by WPD »

That's ok.

I've read enough about the digital divide this semester to last me another lifetime or so.