Another heartwarming war veteran's story

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

This is just insane.
I really hope his case gets resolved, but I wonder if this happens to other people as well?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
RMC

Post by RMC »

There is something fishy with that story. First off if the service over paid him, he knew it and still spent the money.. The seperation pay is the bulk of his overpayment. He also did not complete the required forms..And he should know the service is a stickler for forms, but this should still be solvable...Just talk to the right people and get the forms filled out and moving to the proper channels.

The 300 bucks in equipment they nailed him for, was silly and could be cleared up, and if not well it is only 300 bucks.

But the biggest fishyness to the story is them not giving him a plane ticket to NY. When you are discharged the Service will give you a Plane ticket(or bus ticket) to your home address. So unless his family moved to NY and he has a home address of TX I can see no reason why the service would not have given him a ticket. Unless he wanted the cash becasue of his car...

I would hazard to guess that this soldier is trying to pull a fast one and get money he didn't earn...
Lee

Post by Lee »

I have to agree with Robert. This story is really fishy and unless you have been in the military you probably wouldn't understand.

Everyone who has been in the military for a couple of years knows that they will screw up your pay, and it takes at least a month to fix it. If your pay check is suddenly $2000 too much, don't spend it, they will want it back.

There are also organizations that are out there to help out with things just like this. Help is available.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

"If he feels that way, why is his wife talking for him? Why doesn't he come talk to us himself?" she remembers them asking her.
"Because on some level, he still respects you," she answered. "I don't have that problem."
You go girl! :D
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The man lost an arm. He and his family probably feel that they deserve that overpay. Can't say that I disagree.
wire

Post by wire »

Not realizing you were being overpaid may be contributed by the fact he was in the hospital recovering from having his hand blown off. Probably had a few more things to worry about then balancing your checkbook and realizing they were still paying you for being in Iraq on combat status.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently it is a simple paperwork issue. They might want back the combat pay(and he probably will be responsible for it) but the travel costs are definitely the militaries.

Here's an update. It's sad that they are making a veteran who served with dignity to jump through bureaucratic hoops. Charging him $310 for missing equipment is beyond the pale though. Perhaps if they find his hand they'll find their precious equipment.