Far Cry - Xbox 360 vs PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hetz

Far Cry - Xbox 360 vs PC

Post by Hetz »

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2567_en.html

Wow, the 360 version blows away the PC version. I had no idea it was going to look that much better.

*updated link cause the other one died*

Interesting quote on that website:

I've just been told that this video was released by one of the FCI predator developers, originally only for internal usage at Ubisoft.
My Gamertag: Hetz OO
PSN ID: Hetz76
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HetzOO
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Well, in the PC's defense, it did come out like 2 years ago.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

DiscoJason wrote:Well, in the PC's defense, it did come out like 2 years ago.
True, but it is still considered one of the top looking PC games.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I recently installed the PC version of Far Cry, and it really didn't look that great. It has long since been surpassed by games like F.E.A.R., Half Life 2, etc. They're using some brand new graphics effects for this version of Far Cry that didn't even exist when the PC version came back. So this is not surprising at all.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

YellowKing wrote:I recently installed the PC version of Far Cry, and it really didn't look that great. It has long since been surpassed by games like F.E.A.R., Half Life 2, etc. They're using some brand new graphics effects for this version of Far Cry that didn't even exist when the PC version came back. So this is not surprising at all.
You know, it's been a long time since I've played Far Cry, so you may be right. I just know it is used by nearly all websites when reviewing video cards, so i just assumed that it was still considered a good game for graphics.

I'll have to install it again and see for myself how it looks...
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

YellowKing wrote:I recently installed the PC version of Far Cry, and it really didn't look that great. It has long since been surpassed by games like F.E.A.R., Half Life 2, etc. They're using some brand new graphics effects for this version of Far Cry that didn't even exist when the PC version came back. So this is not surprising at all.
Far Cry still pulls off wide open jungle areas better than anything else on the pc. FEAR has better light and shadows and Half Life 2 has better textures and water but both render small static areas compared to Far Cry.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I really don't think it looks bad though either.

I just reintalled FarCry to play on my laptop. It's gorgeous in 1920x1600 resolution, and it runs just fine on a GeForce 6800 Go. I'd argue there still isn't a game that can touch Far Cry for the great wide open outdoors. While the game is showing some age now, the water effects are beautiful and the lighting and shadows for interiors is still excellent. Actually, I don't think FEAR or DOOM3 do interiors that much better, especially considering the performance hit.

FarCry came out of nowhere and blew me away. I'm still impressed by it today.

Edit: I should also give credit to the developer for continued support. New patches with new features are always in the works. They released a HDR lighting patch for the game not too long ago. It's not perfect, but it's cool that they're implementing new tech for their game.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You know, it's been a long time since I've played Far Cry, so you may be right. I just know it is used by nearly all websites when reviewing video cards, so i just assumed that it was still considered a good game for graphics.
I know exactly where you're coming from, Hetz. In fact, one of the primary reasons I reinstalled it was to try out my new video card, and I was quite surprised that it still wasn't the cutting edge game I thought it was.

I'm not saying it looks *bad* - the game still does an excellent job of rendering water, jungle foliage, etc. However, you can really tell it's not a modern game when you look at building textures, models, etc.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I thnk Far Cry still looks damn great so I don't know where you guys are coming from. It doesn't do lighting as well as Doom3/Fear, but the jungle stuff is unsurpassed. I often show off FPS's to my non-gaming friends and even after they've seen Doom 3, FEAR, and HL2, many still find Far Cry to be the most impressive.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The jungle stuff is only unsurpassed because no other game since Far Cry has done jungle scenery :D
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Men of Valor?
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Erithtotl

Post by Erithtotl »

Does FarCry on the 360 have different content than the PC game? If I finished the PC game is there any reason for me to get it on the 360?
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Erithtotl wrote:Does FarCry on the 360 have different content than the PC game? If I finished the PC game is there any reason for me to get it on the 360?
Hasn't been released yet. My understanding is that it will be a similar game, character and world, but all new content. So yes, it should be more then just a graphics update.

But I could be wrong.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

I updated the link at the top of the page for people that were getting the File Not Found error.

Also, I believe that yes it is an all new game, with all new content. The main character is the same, but that is about it.
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

YellowKing wrote:The jungle stuff is only unsurpassed because no other game since Far Cry has done jungle scenery :D
Thats because if Half Life two or Fear tried to pull off the stuff in Far Cry they would be running a whopping 2 frames per second.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Erithtotl wrote:If I finished the PC game is there any reason for me to get it on the 360?
Gamerscore :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

coopasonic wrote:
Erithtotl wrote:If I finished the PC game is there any reason for me to get it on the 360?
Gamerscore :D
LoL The man speaks the truth.

I've beat Call of Duty 2 on the PC already, but I'm willing to play it on the 360 just for the points, and Quake 4.
Ya srsly!
qp

Post by qp »

Played the XBox (1) version...I really loved the stuff they added, but it was too restrained and you NEED KB+M! I wish they'd bring out an instincts version for PC as it is still one of the best PC FPS going.
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!