CIV IV: Getting crushed like a bug... (EDIT: I WON!)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dfs

Post by dfs »

I fall way behind in Techs (as in when I'm stuck on an island), its game over for me. They were so far behind, I can only assume that some benevolent Civ handed them the Techs or the AI just randomly cooked this up.
FWIW I do that all the time to CP's near my enemies. Make them strong and friendly to me and the big guy might be more worried about them than he is about me.

I believe there is a starting position where you are assured most of the resources will be within your grasp. I don't recall what it is. With all the different starting variations, there's a good hunk of meat on this bone. Also, you can go into the xml and modify the levels if you think Prince is too hard and Noble too easy.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

WOOT! I won on Noble for the first time last night!

Playing Catherine of Russia on a Terra map on Noble, I won a Space Race Victory. YEE_HAW!

I started off with a worker / settler rush strategy, claiming six home cities before AD kicked in. I put everything into research and after alphabet, when I equalized the playing field, I stopped trading my best techs. I only traded techs on the tier behind me or lower. By 1500 I was three full tiers ahead of the AI. By 1700 I had 3000 points and Huyuna Capac had 700! Frederick of Germany was just building his first riflemen when I completed the Apollo Program. Also, I got Astronomy really early and sent a horde of musketmen and catapults over to the new world. I took every barbarain city, including an 18 pop megacity!

That was great fun. Now I'm thinking of trying for a cultural victory :)

Thanks for all the great help!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Orgull wrote:WOOT! I won on Noble for the first time last night!

Playing Catherine of Russia on a Terra map on Noble, I won a Space Race Victory. YEE_HAW!

I started off with a worker / settler rush strategy, claiming six home cities before AD kicked in. I put everything into research and after alphabet, when I equalized the playing field, I stopped trading my best techs. I only traded techs on the tier behind me or lower. By 1500 I was three full tiers ahead of the AI. By 1700 I had 3000 points and Huyuna Capac had 700! Frederick of Germany was just building his first riflemen when I completed the Apollo Program. Also, I got Astronomy really early and sent a horde of musketmen and catapults over to the new world. I took every barbarain city, including an 18 pop megacity!

That was great fun. Now I'm thinking of trying for a cultural victory :)

Thanks for all the great help!
Nice. I am desperately trying to bring down the population of the horrible four in my Monarch game before they scavenge enough to steal my win away from me diplomatically. If one person joins them before I get 40% of the world populace, I am hosed. I currently stand at 34% and no matter how "friendly" everyone is with me, they either abstain or vote for Washington.

So I am dubbing my game Niagra...

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch...
Geezerone

Post by Geezerone »

Nice going Orgull! Currently I am going for a cultural victory, as Catherine on a Noble, Epic, Huge, Inland Sea type map. I'm in 2nd place in the rankings, while Asok (the leader) looks to be aiming for a Space Race victory. It's going to be close.

I had something weird happen to me, and I would like to ask you guys if this is possible. A couple of turns after a night ending save point (so I proved that I can recreate this event), I find that I declare war on the Greeks. I did not initiate this action, it just happens by itself. I wonder if that is a result of someone elses SPYing action on me.

Can spies cause another nation to declare war on someone else? If not, what could possibly force me to declare war? I have no experience with spies whatsoever.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Geezerone wrote:Nice going Orgull! Currently I am going for a cultural victory, as Catherine on a Noble, Epic, Huge, Inland Sea type map. I'm in 2nd place in the rankings, while Asok (the leader) looks to be aiming for a Space Race victory. It's going to be close.

I had something weird happen to me, and I would like to ask you guys if this is possible. A couple of turns after a night ending save point (so I proved that I can recreate this event), I find that I declare war on the Greeks. I did not initiate this action, it just happens by itself. I wonder if that is a result of someone elses SPYing action on me.

Can spies cause another nation to declare war on someone else? If not, what could possibly force me to declare war? I have no experience with spies whatsoever.
Do you have a defensive pact with anyone?
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yep...check the defensive pact status in the foreign advisor...
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Geezerone

Post by Geezerone »

Yes I had defensive pacts with 2 other nations. They dropped me like a hot potato after I <quotation fingers> declared war </quotation fingers> on the Greeks. As they are supposed to.

But why would having defensive pacts make a difference? I did notice that soon after, the Greeks did declare war on the English (one of my allies). Is the AI smart enough to orchestrate this level of subterfuge? Is so, then color me impressed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Geezerone wrote:But why would having defensive pacts make a difference?
They are suggesting that perhaps you were forced to declare war because someone declared war on the nation you had a defensive pact with. Perhaps the Greeks declaring war on the English is the reason you declared war on the Greeks, it was just reported in the wrong order?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Let's say you have a DP with England and Inca. Greeks declare war on Incas, it will cause you to declare war on the Greeks automatically, and both of your DP nations will automatically cancel their Pacts (they will have to be renewed after you're at peace with everyone again).
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Geezerone

Post by Geezerone »

Ah! Thanks for clearing things up for me. That's probably what happened. I can rerun the game from the save point to verify that's what happened, now that I know what to look for.

I think it would have been a bit less confusing if they simply said that you declared war to aid an allied nation.
DireAussie

Post by DireAussie »

For those who are turtling and getting crushed by a bug, what's the size of your military compared to others? You can see this in the statistics screen. How many defending units do you have per city? One or two simply isnt enough - the AI will take advantage and destroy you. Make sure you have AT LEAST 4 in your border cities. You can get away with 1 in the cities that are deep iniside your boundaries. Also, make sure you have different types of units defending. Another handy thing is to get hills upgrades and then fortify them on forested hills near your borders. This works best against barbarians. Sometimes the AI attacks them too which damages his invasion force.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

I've won 4 games now, starting at settler and working my way up in difficulty. All have been space victories except one diplomatic victory. I found that once I worker/settler rushed in the fourth game (Is that Noble? or Prince?) I had a big lead and cruised to victory. I'm going to try the next level up. Luckily for some reason I've only had civs declare war on me when there's about 2 countries inbetween!! So I had lots of warning.

Edit: Final score in latest win was 13000.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I finally ended my drought on Noble with a space race victory. Even though I didn't create the circumstances, it was kind of a cheap victory. Playing as the Malinese, I ended up on a pretty good sized continent all to my self - end result being 14 cities, no borders. I was also far enough away that it was pretty late by the time other civs found me and I ended up will all the resources I needed. I kept my military strong enough to avoid being picked on. My highest score ever on Civ 4, over 8500, population over 40 million. :D
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Sarkus wrote:I ended up on a pretty good sized continent all to my self - end result being 14 cities, no borders.
Lucky Bastige... I always end up on a tiny barf of land with 4 or 5 other Hoo-Haws all vying for the same single iron resource. :roll: